A rock and a hard place

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay everyone I'm up against a rock and a hardplace.

There is this baby kitty (feral) tabby looking. Won't let me touch it, can't even get near it. But I've been setting food out for it, because well I can't help it. It's soo hungry!

and I'm not supposed to have cats.. I hide the 2 I've got (long story).. I can fight it if I wanted (grandfather clause situation).. Anyways. I'm afraid to keep feeding the kitty because well it might cause ruckus since we aren't supposed to have cats, but it's outside, and I'm hiding the food, covertly. The kitten is living under our shed,, really inside the shed,, but I would never tell my husband that. But there is an opening in the door for it to get in so it hides in there.. I want to bring it in,, but it's a feral, and i'm already pressing my luck with the 2 I have..

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do I keep feeding the cat? or do I try to catch it and take it to a shelter? or do I let it live feral like it is, and just keep feeding and hope the landlord just thinks it's a stray who likes my house?

Thanks for the advice all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the problem. The No Kill is full and continues to stay full.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shoot. And being feral, if you take him/her to another place....changes are s/he'll be euthanized.
Are there any rescues who specialize in ferals? Foster based rescue who'd take it?

I guess I'd go on Petfinder & start e-mailing every rescue near you that might take him/her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in the country, the nearest rescue group per say are in Indianapolis almost an hour or so away.....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. Then. Know anyone who'd foster him to socialize him?

Now, don't anybody shoot me here....but can you afford to get him fixed/vetted....then place him on a farm home where someone will continue to care for him?

mzoricak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know what you are going through. I would definitely trap the kitty, and yes, please feed her. She needs to be spayed or neutered if it's a boy otherwise you will have problems with intact males and unwanted kittens. Go to your local vet or animal hospital. Ask them if they can help. You are doing a very good thing. You have a great heart.

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you been able to take any action regarding this kitty? Please let us know. Thanks.

Helene

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recommend getting him neutered and then releasing him back to the shed. I think, once he's neutered, he may calm down a bit and you can socialize him enough to where a shelter will take him(once kitten season is over).

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Now, don't anybody shoot me here....but can you afford to get him fixed/vetted....then place him on a farm home where someone will continue to care for him?
I feel ya!

ptnfl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you in a position to trap the baby so you can get it spayed or neutered? Sometimes there are organizations that will pay for that and lend you a trap if you need them to.
Also, once you get him/her fixed, I would say bring him/her back and release to your yard. As long as you will continue to feed the poor baby that will help as best you can. Ideally, you'll find someone who can socialize (if it's able to be socialized) and find a home but in the mean time, this is one avenue. Sometimes I think the ferals are happy running free and as long as there is someone to look after them, it's hopefully, they will remain safe, to the extent that they can.
You are a great person to take care of that innocent soul. I'm sure anything you can do will help some.

Good luck and keep us posted.