What do do about Dirty Ruff?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley's fur is getting longer all the time, especially his ruff and has now become a problem for him.

It is so long that it is dragging in his food and water when he eats and drinks. He does try to keep it clean himself but it is so long that when he licks it, the fur just curls back up and gets stuck in his mouth. So now I am constantly pulling the hair back down from his mouth, trying to wipe it and keep the tangles brushed out.

I really hate to, but should I consider trimming it back a bit shorter so that he doesn't have this problem?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he's not a show cat, you could do some trimming or you can get him used to wearing a bib around his neck.

Maybe try putting his food/water bowl up higher (a few inches) so he's not leaning over them to eat/drink. I know they have raised food dishes containers - Foster & Smith has them for larger breed dogs. They are really cute wooden boxes that are 6-12 inches off the floor with the bowls in the middle.

BTW how's he coming with a grooming routine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Since he's not a show cat, you could do some trimming or you can get him used to wearing a bib around his neck.

Maybe try putting his food/water bowl up higher (a few inches) so he's not leaning over them to eat/drink. I know they have raised food dishes containers - Foster & Smith has them for larger breed dogs. They are really cute wooden boxes that are 6-12 inches off the floor with the bowls in the middle.

BTW how's he coming with a grooming routine?
I never thought of raising his food but I can try that. He has a fountain and then his food dishes but maybe I can find a dog food stand the right size to hold the fountain. I hate to trim his pretty hair, so I will try this first.

As for his grooming, its a necessary evil that we both tolerate, me more than him

He will now let me brush and comb him for almost 2 full minutes before he goes crazy as long as I don't touch his belly. The belly I still have to sneak and do when he's sleeping and do it fast, lol. If I hold his head up, he will actually hold still long enough for me to comb out his ruff when it gets tangled and messy, so its not perfect, but its progress!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good, a little grooming at a time and one day you will be able to do the entire cat from head to toes. Willing to bet if you keep up the grooming routine, by end of year you might be at that goal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sounds good, a little grooming at a time and one day you will be able to do the entire cat from head to toes. Willing to bet if you keep up the grooming routine, by end of year you might be at that goal
I hope so! He is a very smart kitty and has plenty of routines for feeding, bedtime, etc. and learned to stay off counters, etc. in just a few days, so I know he can learn this too. He just really hates it