Kitten VS. Kitten

zach-r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok ive read alot about cat behavoir on the site here and its helping me understand alot. but heres my dilema.

We have a 4.5 month old female kitten(Keiko) well last night at the pet store we saw this several week old male kitten(no name yet) and bought him out of impulse. well i made the mistake of letting them meet, i thought it would be okay because he was in the same cage with other cats.

well keiko is not happy. it seemed like she was playing at first but then it got to be too rough and i got worried. because the new kitten is so small he can barely fight back.

i called my friend who has like 5 cats. he told me to seperate them. now this is where it gets weird. after i put the new kitten in the bathroom with everything he will need. keiko went nuts sprinting from one side of the house to the other and crying like crazy.apparently she was looking for him.

well now she has discovered where we put him and she sits in front of the bathroom crying, growling and scratching, and the new cat does the same? like they want to be together...they even stick their paws completely under the door trying to touch each other. im guessing its just curiousity.

I didnt expect it to be this bad. being they are both so young and opposite sex. anyone experianced this before?

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zach-R

well now she has discovered where we put him and she sits in front of the bathroom crying, growling and scratching, and the new cat does the same? like they want to be together...they even stick their paws completely under the door trying to touch each other. im guessing its just curiousity.

I didnt expect it to be this bad. being they are both so young and opposite sex. anyone experianced this before?
Welcome, and congrats on the new kitten!

This is normal behavior. Keiko is curious, but when she sees the kitten, she'll most likely go back to being hissy etc.

I would go for a slow introduction, there's some good advice here:
http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...cing-Cats.html

Some folks here have advocated for vanilla extract to make them smell similar when it's time to meet. I haven't tried it myself, but it does sound like it could help.

Since both your kittens are pretty young, the introduction process may end up being fairly easy, but go slow and make sure the newcomer is fully vet-checked before letting them mingle.

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zach-R

Just a side note - make sure you get those kitties neutered/spayed as soon as it's possible!

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had yasmine longer than molly. When molly joined our family, i kept molly in the bedroom. Yasmine wouldnt leave the door. She was absolutly a brat. It was a while before i let molly out and yasmine was so dominating and mean to molly. She attacked her and busted open molly stitches. Anyways i was worried that i was going to have to give up molly because yasmine was so distressed. Well its been a year and let me tell you...molly is now the trouble maker. They both get along but molly tries to dominate!! Just give it time.

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the kitties!
Cats are such amazing sources of joy. I'm sure you must be so stressed about the happiness of your little one right now, try to hang in there. Introductions can be a slow process. You have to make sure your kitty doesn't get the sense that she's being replaced. When she behaves well with the little boy reward her with lots of love and petting (maybe a favorite treat).

I'd get the little boy vet checked right away, pet stores that sell puppies & kittens will have a greater chance of there being diseases. Just double check that he's healthy and won't get your own kitten sick.

Everything should turn out fine in the end as long as you take things slowly. The link tempteq gave you will help you a lot!

Good luck and post some photos soon! I'd love to see your little ones.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm typical female - da*mn if you do, da*mn if you don't

Anyway, keep them separated till he's checked out by your vet for a clean bill of health. Are both kittens spayed/neutered? If not, get them done as quick as possible as a 4-5 month old female CAN get pregnant - even by a male kitten her age!

Then when you put them face to face, sprinkle them both with cornstarch baby powder so they smell the same.

Trim ALL nails and expect some hissing/fighting or chasing for awhile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zach-r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok thats what ill do. trying to take it slow. i think she is just playing rough to show him whos boss.