Cat won't stop crying!

catnip83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so I just adopted a kitty from the local humane society this past Saturday. His name is Perry, he's a 2 year old neutered Siamese mix. He's adorable, the SWEETEST cat I have ever met. He uses his litter box, gets along well with our other cat...the only problem we are having with him is that he meows...CONSTANTLY! For hours straight he will just cry and cry. Then he'll take a break for a little while, eat, snuggle with us, then he's right back to crying. I don't know what to do, or why he is doing it? I figured he may just be adjusting to the new place, as when we moved in our other cat did the same thing for a few days. Any suggestions?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That could be it, or maybe he just likes talking. I don't think you need to do anything about it or worry about it, yet. Time will tell. Probably you just got yourself a loud cat.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Siameze kitties are known for being a bit more vocal than other cats... that plus his adjusting to a new home and new family (both human and feline) are probably what's got him talking so much... just try to make him feel comfortable and welcome - hopefully once he gets used to the routine of your household, the talking won't be constant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He seems to do it even more when he's by a window, it's like he wants to get outside really bad. We're wondering if he was a stray for a while and misses being outside, or was an inside/outside cat at some point. He seems to be gradually calming down but when he's not it's just crazy. My biggest worry is that our neighbors will complain about him.

janie'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could try getting him a cat harnass ( a really good one so he doesn't run off ) and walking him a little bit. my aunt did that with there himalayan because they had the same problem and it fixed things right up. Just take him for a spin down the block every once in a while.

catnip83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah we were thinking of that too! How cool is that, walking a cat? haha he'd probably like it

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese are extremely vocal cats, they love to chat, sometimes louder then necessary
! If he seems to be calming down a bit, maybe he was just explaining his new home introduction out loud........ I would suggest a healthy playtime, interactive, atleast an hour each day before bedtime to help drain the objective energy!

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother had a Siamese before I was born and she always tells this story... when she went away for weekends with my dad, the woman upstairs would know when they were coming home because she would hear the cat screaming before my parents even made it back to the apt... my mother would hear him up the block, and we live in a big city with busy streets... he was a very vocal cat and apparently very loud when he wanted to be.

He may just be telling you his little sob story... mine gets vocal and cries to my mother when I'm away and tells his little story... he's just communicating... sounds silly, but try talking back with him. My little tuxedo gets chatty once in a while and when I indulge and talk back with him he stops. If he sounds like he's whining I ask what's wrong, he tells me and I say "Oh I know" and he stops...

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is what I forgot to suggest! Talking back to him, let him know you are listening and tell him you understand, and more!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, well, I don't know. If the OP is finding all this meowing an annoyance, then talking back is only going to encourage the cat to continue. Many of us cat owners like having conversations with our cats, but for those who don't enjoy all the cat talk, and want to discourage it, talking back to the cat is exactly the opposite wrong thing to do.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. There are times when I enjoy talking with my cats, and other times (usually early in the morning when I'd rather not talk to anything or anybody) when their meowing is irritating. Sometimes I think that when Rocket was young, I encouraged his vocalizations by mimicking him, talking with him, and so forth. Maybe if I hadn't done that, he would be a quieter cat now, and I could still have a conversation with him, but it would be a quiet conversation and it would happen when I want it, instead of every single moment he's awake.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Yes, well, I don't know. If the OP is finding all this meowing an annoyance, then talking back is only going to encourage the cat to continue. Many of us cat owners like having conversations with our cats, but for those who don't enjoy all the cat talk, and want to discourage it, talking back to the cat is exactly the opposite wrong thing to do.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. There are times when I enjoy talking with my cats, and other times (usually early in the morning when I'd rather not talk to anything or anybody) when their meowing is irritating. Sometimes I think that when Rocket was young, I encouraged his vocalizations by mimicking him, talking with him, and so forth. Maybe if I hadn't done that, he would be a quieter cat now, and I could still have a conversation with him, but it would be a quiet conversation and it would happen when I want it, instead of every single moment he's awake.
This is a perfect example of when I think all of my thoughts may be read as "nerdy" or redundant. It really depends on the kitty, you/ yours, and situation if /what will be the best result.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea of what you mean my post is a perfect example of. I can't make any sense of it.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I'm still at a loss as to how to interpret your response to my post here or in the other thread. The "nerdy" comment there was referring to someone else's post. Your post in the other thread which quoted me didn't seem to me to be a response to what I said, either.

catnip83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was a little whiney in the morning yesterday, and a bit when I got home from work, but then he was an angel most of the evening, just a few yowls here and there. He was great--I thought, YAY! My prayers have been answered! And then that was shortly crushed by only getting about 2 hours of sleep because he would not stop the entire night. I tried giving him extra extra attention, playing with him. We had company over so I thought it might entertain him a bit. But, no difference. He is like THE COOLEST cat other than this problem. I'd had to have to 'trade him in' but if he doesn't stop I don't know what else to do. Is there a way to tell if a cat will be more quiet before you take it home? Or should I just avoid the siamese thing? lol....

dani_elle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried tiring him out a lot before bed? Sometimes a good, solid playtime before bed will help the cat to learn to sleep more when you're sleeping.
My cat is sometimes a talker, so when she's loud, I talk back to her and mimic her sounds, but quieter, and she usually lowers her voice to my level. But I ONLY 'talk' to her during the day time. If I hear her at night, she only gets a sharp 'SHHH', and she tends to keep it down after that.

Cats tend to work best when given positive reinforcement. So maybe when he's quiet for a long period of time like he was today.. give him some treats and some love.

I've heard Siamese can be stubborn little things though.
So patience is good.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when I first got Beatrix she was a NIGHTMARE. adorable but sort of out of control in some ways.
one of her "things" was to meow all night long. Obviously you need sleep.
Bea was like a child, in that, as long as I acknowledged her crying and gave her attention, she would continue to do it.
so...

I started putting her in the downstairs bathroom while i slept. plenty of room, put her bed and food and litter box in there. But I know she hated it. It was kinda like a punishment. so each night I would give her a chance to be quiet, she could meow a little but the second it was keeping me up, I'd put her right back into the bathroom.

It only took a couple nights of this for her to get the hint.
She's an angel now

myndnbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my Sphynx kitties was very vocal when we got him his pervious owners had turned him into rescue for some unknown reason and one of the rescue workers fell in love with him and took him home he was so vocal that her husband would not let her keep him. But she did not want to turn him back into rescue. So she got in touch with a Sphynx breeder. The breeder knew I was looking for another Sphynx to add to our family so she got in touch with me since I only lived a hour away from this lady that had the cat. I went and picked him up and he was very vocal. It took me about a week to figure out what was wrong. He wanted to be free feed. We started leaveing food out for him all the time and he stoped crying the only time he crys now is when the food bowl is empty. He may just be trying to tell you something like our kitty was trying to tell us.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two chatterboxes here. Lucy is just a loudmouth, and Meezer Girl is a Siamese ('nuff said, right?
). Lucy has high-pitched normal meows 24/7. It's like she works for a cable news network, because she constantly has to update us on everything. Meezer Girl just sounds grumpy and "growly" (even though she's one of the most pleasant kitties alive) all the time. Neither one ever sees fit to shut up while they're awake.

Do you let your kitty sleep with you? Mine tend to shut up for the most part when we're in bed. They might yell at us if we move them around too much, but they're generally quiet in the bed (until breakfast time, anyway).

I don't really mind cat-talk, so it's not a big deal for us (actually, it's why we got the two little bullhorns). Siamese are notorious for their voices, so I'm not surprised your boy has a lot to say. If he's yelling all night, I imagine he's just not tired enough at bedtime. Wear him out and take him to bed with you.

If he's just a loudmouth, and you really don't want a loud cat, and you think he's just meowing for no reason, I guess you could take him back. I hate to say it, but there are plenty of quiet cats in the world needing homes, too.

Everyone has their own preferences. I don't like timid cats who hide all the time, so I won't keep one. My mom has a very timid scaredy cat who probably hasn't been seen by more than three people (not counting the vet) in over four years. She adores her, even though she only sees her long after lights out (the cat is very affectionate when my mom's in bed, but don't even think about turning on a light or letting anyone else make a peep within earshot). Everyone has their own "deal breakers".

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "nerdy" relation was a direct quote of you in this thread
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142608
the following is your words.....
"Hmmmm.....well, OK, whatever works for you. It's just a tad, how can I say it diplomatically? "nerdy" is the work comes to mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that, other than it makes my head hurt to try reading it. "
Sorry to confuse you...