No Toilet

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cassy, when I am not around, will drink water from the toilet.

She gets plenty of fresh water, I have two bowls out in two different locations.

I have printed out a toilet with the word NO and showed it to her every second I get, she knows exactly what I am talking about. I have brought her into the bathroom, showed her the toilet, NO TOILET.

Do you think she will not drink from the toilet if I put one of those toilet cleaning dispensers in the tank? Do you think the smell of the chemicals will keep her away?

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My toilet has a lid. YMMV.

I would personally just start closing the lid instead of playing the "will my cat still drink water if I add potentially harmful chemicals to it" game.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of course I thought about keeping the lid down.

DS doesn't listen or maybe it's an ego thing.

I cannot be babysitter to a toilet.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really sure that your kitty would understand a picture of a toilet and the word "NO" written on it.

Cats are very scent and touch and hearing oriented as opposed to visual. Their eyes detect motion much better than ours, and they see better when it is dark, but I don't think stationary pictures do much for them.

It may also be that all the attention you are giving your kitty, even though it is negative, is having the effect of reinforcing her to do the drinking more and get more attention from you.

I would definitely NOT put the chemical stuff in the toilet. Even though she would probably detect it, it is not worth taking the risk.

If your toilet doesn't have a lid, I would put something over it until she loses interest and stops the habit of going in there.

If you don't have a Drinkwell fountain, you might try using one of those to pique her interest in that instead.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I didn't see your lid reply. Maybe you can ask DS to shut the door to that room just until your baby gets the message?

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My toilet has a lid, thank you. Again, I cannot babysit the toilet. My DS doesn't listen and/or it's an ego thing that he leaves the lid up.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

Sorry, I didn't see your lid reply. Maybe you can ask DS to shut the door to that room just until your baby gets the message?
He thinks I am too obsessed with the cat/toilet thing, I really would like to smack him one of these days.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats drink out of the toilet. Actually my cats love to play with the toilet water. Forest especially. He will flush the toilet then play with the flushing water.

Other than my cat being very smart.
I never thought too much of it.

Toilet water isn't that bad. Your cat licks his own butt, are you going to stop him from doing that? lol...

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I guess that you can feed a cat, take it to a vet when necessary, and clean up after it urinates and defecates, but keeping the toilet lid closed requires too much effort.

Breal76, in addition to the (even more) obvious, a cat could be harmed from ingesting cleaning products that might be in the toilet water. It's not a good habit for a pet.

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not to be mean, but it sounds like DS is the one who needs the training, not the cat!

We had to learn to keep ours down, she doesn't drink out of it, but she will throw play mice and hairthings in it and I don't enjoy toilet fishing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE do not put the cleaner in there - its poison - and cats may or may not drink it. Why risk it? Why not just keep the toilet seat down at all times - we do and no animals fall in or drink out of the bowl (and we have a lab).

BTW we have ALL boys (tho everyone is grown now) and when we still had them at home ALL of them were polite enough to KEEP THE LID DOWN ON THE TOILET WHEN FINISHED!

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

She gets plenty of fresh water, I have two bowls out in two different locations.
But is the water constantly refreshed and in nice cool porcelain bowls?
A fountain may not be a bad idea. Definitely don't go with the chemicals.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I would also suggest trying a fountain. I had a cat that used to lick the bottom of the shower. We bought a fountain and she stopped. Abby was very interested in the toilet when we first adopted her. We bought a fountain and that behavior stopped.

As mentioned above, adding chemicals to the toilet is a very bad idea and could result in your cat being poisoned.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Breal76, in addition to the (even more) obvious, a cat could be harmed from ingesting cleaning products that might be in the toilet water. It's not a good habit for a pet.
I would like to say I do not use chemical based cleaning products. I'm a tree hugger.

Anyway, I think I have figured a solution to your problem that should be safe and you don't have to worry about your SO putting the lid down.

Get citrus or peppermint smelling stuff or some sorts and put it in the water. I think you can buy these things that hang on the side of the toilet with those scents. Cat's hate orange/lemon and mints smelled. Anyway it's an option to find a natural way of doing things.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to enter my vote for a fountain. Cats love them. They're constantly filtering and aerating the water. These are Very Good Things for a cat. Toilets are pretty much the next best thing for a cat. My fountain is on its way, and I hate that my new kitties have bowls of water. I change them out two or three times a day (with filtered water + filtered ice cubes), but they still seem icky after a short time.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am working on getting a fountain, the vote is in and SHE won! (Cassy)

In the meanwhile, just in case my DS forgets to shut the door or put the lid down, I have been sterilizing the bathroom every day. (We have more than one bathroom). She only goes into DS bathroom. She would not dare go into the other bathrooms because my other cat, Mittens is my watchdog. They each have their own territory and they each will not cross those lines.

I always wanted to get a fountain, and I am fussy about plastics. They don't eat or drink out of any plastics. I have learned while researching fountains that some cats get acne on their chin, I don't know if it is the plastic or because the fountain needs to be cleaned all the time.

I very well may make my own fountain!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was considering the fountain but forgot it was plastic coated. And plastic dishes cannot be cleaned like a ceramic or stainless steel bowl; and can result in feline acne. So you could be right about the fountain - it may be hard to keep clean.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

I always wanted to get a fountain, and I am fussy about plastics. They don't eat or drink out of any plastics. I have learned while researching fountains that some cats get acne on their chin, I don't know if it is the plastic or because the fountain needs to be cleaned all the time.

I very well may make my own fountain!
You could probably make your own with some aquarium pumping and a stainless steel bowl. I have to tell you, however, I have a girl who is very prone to the kitty acne, but doesn't seem to be bothered by the plastic fountain. I clean it weekly or bi weekly depending oh how much time I have.

lunacy95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a drinking fountain that I had gotten a little over a year ago for Tubby. The fountain managed to keep her from turning my shower on so she could drink from the shower drain, she loved it. She never had any trouble or reaction to it, and I was unaware of the potential plastic problem.

After I had Jack a couple weeks I set it up for him... he loved it... but he lost the fur around his muzzle and did indeed seem to be developing the acne, although I cleaned it what seemed like constantly.

I hated taking it from him, but I did and his normal face fuzz came back and the acne disappeared, so no more drinkwell for him.

I have been considering a different brand and style that is stainless steel instead. That a friend mentioned seeing at a local pet store.