I hate having a cold...

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A week ago I was so tired and really wanted a day off. I actually thought, I wish I was sick so I could have a day off work. Well.....

This week I'm sick, but did I take the day off NO. As a matter of fact my boss has been giving me a hard time and telling me I can't be sick until December. He's kidding, but man do I want to go home & go to bed.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

That's usually what ends up happening. When I get a cold, it is usually very severe and last for about 5 weeks.
That's a flu, not a cold. Colds are here and gone in a week, anything more then it's something else.

I dread colds. Colds are spread mostly through touching an infected surface and then introducing that virus into our bodies through: rubbing our eyes, picking our nose, putting our fingers in our mouth, using someone else's phone...

I make sure to keep my hands away from my face when I'm away from home, and I carry anti-bacterial hand towels in my purse, and I wash my hands before I eat when in a restaurant, especially one where I've had to handle money before eating.

When I use a bathroom I use my jacket sleeve or a paper towel to open the door handle so that I am not recontaminating my hands after washing them by touching a dirty door handle. The first thing I do when I get home is wash my hands so that I'm not spreading bacteria/viruses that I have picked up on my hands onto the stuff in my home.

Some think that I am overly cautious but as a nurse I know the merits of good hand washing and I haven't had a cold in several years.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever I catch something it usually hangs on for 5-7 weeks too. With antibiotics I can lessen it to around 4 weeks.

In my case it doesn't matter what I've caught, it always goes straight to my lungs and I get a bad respiratory infection. Ignoring the cold and hoping it would pass on it's own has resulted pneumonia in the past.

If it seems like the cold is hanging around for a while, don't be afraid to go to the doctor.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats one lucky thing about my job is being able to take the day off whenever I am sick...luckily that doesn't happen often

Hang in there! for you to get better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

Thats one lucky thing about my job is being able to take the day off whenever I am sick...luckily that doesn't happen often

Hang in there! for you to get better!
Thanks. I just found out that I'm going to have people here from another plant tomorrow. I'm sure they are going to love working with me

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had a nasty cold too & it lasted for 2.5 weeks
It was awful! Coughing, sneezing & the whole works
One of the days I felt so miserable that my whole body ached, it wasn't fun at all!

I hope you feel better soon!

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate being sick too, especially when you have to go to work.
I just got over a cold myself. It started off as a sore throat, then it went to my sinsuses, and then drained back down my throat. It took a good two weeks to get rid of it! Hope you start to feel better soon!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no!
I know something is going around here too.
I had to pick Deacon up from school early today because he was sick.
Both the boys have some congestion and a cough..

That you feel better

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

That's a flu, not a cold. Colds are here and gone in a week, anything more then it's something else.
I've never had the flu. I always seem to get these colds in the middle of summer! I'm sure it starts off as a cold and turns into something else. I even think I may have had bronchitis one christmas. Either way, they are always severe and wish they weren't. I hate the sore throat, coughing and constant runny nose.

I wash my hands at work at least 10-15 times a day alone. lol

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I dread colds. Colds are spread mostly through touching an infected surface and then introducing that virus into our bodies through: rubbing our eyes, picking our nose, putting our fingers in our mouth, using someone else's phone...

I make sure to keep my hands away from my face when I'm away from home, and I carry anti-bacterial hand towels in my purse, and I wash my hands before I eat when in a restaurant, especially one where I've had to handle money before eating.

When I use a bathroom I use my jacket sleeve or a paper towel to open the door handle so that I am not recontaminating my hands after washing them by touching a dirty door handle. The first thing I do when I get home is wash my hands so that I'm not spreading bacteria/viruses that I have picked up on my hands onto the stuff in my home.

Some think that I am overly cautious but as a nurse I know the merits of good hand washing and I haven't had a cold in several years.
I'm glad to see someone else that's as careful about handwashing as I am! I'm a stickler for clean hands! I think it pays off too!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I'm glad to see someone else that's as careful about handwashing as I am! I'm a stickler for clean hands! I think it pays off too!
hehe, you should see my method for locking and unlocking a bathroom stall door, and flushing the toilet in a public toilet! LOL

Elbows and knees come in handy, and I've even been known to use my shoe. To flush I always use my foot. And while I turn on the tap with my bare hands to wash them, when I turn them off I use a paper towel and if there are only air hand dryers I leave the water running and shake my hands to dry them instead of using those stupid air dryers that blow viruses and bacteria all over the place, and then use my coat sleeve or a napkin from my purse to open the door to exit.

Public toilets are filthy! Not everyone washes their hands so they are contaminating the inside door handle with urine and ecoli and heaven knows what else. Washing your hands isn't going to help you at all if you go and touch a filthy door handle on your way out.