Oscar the Venus Fly Trap caught a moth (w/ pictures)

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's Oscar, my Venus Fly Trap. Isn't he a DOLL?
I got him yesterday, and look, he already caught is first bug.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EWWWWWWW! That is soo gross with the moth in its leaves (what do you call it??)
I ought to get me one of those for our bug issues!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That photo is so cool!! Thanks for sharing it! We LOVE venus fly traps!

We want to buy a flytrap too but we don't know much about them. We want one!
Where do you buy one? Was he expensive? How does he get food, does he feed himself or do you water him?

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

That photo is so cool!! Thanks for sharing it! We LOVE venus fly traps!

We want to buy a flytrap too but we don't know much about them. We want one!
Where do you buy one? Was he expensive? How does he get food, does he feed himself or do you water him?

We have a serious gnat and fruit fly issue in our apartment and I'm thinking that may just work wonders!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss my flytrap! I got one for me and my best friend at the beginning of Spring. We both named ours, mine was named something odd, but I dont remember what it was cos he died...
Hers (Helldamned Von Doom -- yes that is its name) was put outside in this odd little contraption that kept it in water without it being completely submerged. And he has flourished!
They are very cool little pets! Good luck with yours!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is sooooooo awesome!!! Where in the world do you find those at??

I didnt know they actually caught bugs~thats so kewl!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is so cool! I'm curious about where you got Oscar & what it takes to care for him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got mine from Wal-Mart for five dollars. He's doing very good...I'm oping to buy another for him to play with soon!

Oscar is supposed to be kept damp, but he gets his nutrients from bugs.
His pods close in 2-3 seconds, and the bug is TRAPPED! I felt a litle bit bad for the moth, but he should work wonders with the numerous flies buzzing around the house. I've already seen a few bumbling around him.

The only pain is the fact that he's supposed to be kept at 40 degrees from November to February because he 'hibernates'...but I'll just put him in the fridge. He's an easy pet to care for so far though, and VERY interesting to watch!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally LOVE Venus Flytraps!

I had one for a while - they aren't the easiest plant to keep alive - I had no bugs in my house, so mine died!

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I totally LOVE Venus Flytraps!

I had one for a while - they aren't the easiest plant to keep alive - I had no bugs in my house, so mine died!
I never really have a problem with keeping plants alive...I think that might be because whenever they star looking droopy I give them a bit coffee.
It's like a jump-starter and is very handy to use!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is pretty cool! But one question...what if you don't have any bugs? That wouldn't be a problem in MY house, it's moth central. But if you lived in an apartment where you normally didn't get to many bugs in the house...would you have to go out and trap them for it? Like you would a spider or snake? Just curious.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

That is pretty cool! But one question...what if you don't have any bugs? That wouldn't be a problem in MY house, it's moth central. But if you lived in an apartment where you normally didn't get to many bugs in the house...would you have to go out and trap them for it? Like you would a spider or snake? Just curious.
No, you wouldn't have to. If you don't have many bugs, you can feed it a fly every month or two to keep it going, but too much more then that will kill it. I guess they've got puny appetites

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome. I should get one for the flies that fly in from our bathroom vent. It's apparently shared throughout the apartment building. I think that if there's no bugs around, just a normal plant food is sufficient.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

That's awesome. I should get one for the flies that fly in from our bathroom vent. It's apparently shared throughout the apartment building. I think that if there's no bugs around, just a normal plant food is sufficient.
I just looked up Venus Fly Traps and it said you can give a tiny bit of plant food/fertilizer, but it weakens them if you give too much. They have miniscule appetites!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoalily

I never really have a problem with keeping plants alive...I think that might be because whenever they star looking droopy I give them a bit coffee.
It's like a jump-starter and is very handy to use!
Oh, I have no problem keeping most plants alive - the inside of my home looks like a deep green jungle.
It was just the Flytrap...oh, and I can't keep Lucky Bamboo without it going yellow on me, despite following proper care instructions. I dunno why.

I don't feed my plants coffee, though.