Soft claws???

catzrule40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone once again, I just love TCS all of you are so awesome youve all helped me out so much!!!
Here I go again with another question, lol. Have any of you had any experience with soft claws?? Are they really hard to apply?? Do they stay on the claws??? I am very against declawing, I think it is mean. Only way I will get david declawed is if I'm ever given the choice of giving him away or taking off his claws thats the only way I would declaw him if I had to just to keep him. I do live in an apt, and my landlord has been very good about david still having his claws, trust me im so relieved about that. anyway I'm wondering how the soft claws work and also he is getting microchipped and spayed for $70. Which is a good price I think cuz I live in long island Ny everything is expensive here. Please I need advice on the soft claws and the microchip. Youve all been so great!! Thank u for all your past help!!!
Donna

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use them - am used to clipping and its the easiest for me to do. But there are lots in here that can help you with you Soft Paws questions. I think there is a thread recently that has a lot of what you are asking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catzrule40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Goldenkitty!! Anyone else have any ideas as hepful as golden kitty's?? Once again GK thank you so much!!!
Donna

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is already a lot of discussion about Soft Claws in other threads. They were easy for me to apply; easier than nail clipping. My cat was unable to remove them and stopped trying after one day, but FWIW, I used Scotch super glue instead of the included glue.

catzrule40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MM is the scotch super glue ok to use??? I just worry about if david tries to bite one off and swallows the glue

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're essentially the same. They're both cyanoacrylate. I heard the included glue wasn't very high quality, so I took someone's recommendation to use Scotch.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Have you tried doing a search for soft claws or soft paws on the site? There are tons of threads (most of which I've raved about soft paws on haha)... If you don't get to it by tomorrow, I'll come up with some of those threads for you... I'm just too beat right now (went to the NASCAR race in Dover, DE today - just doing my nightly check of the site haha)... let me know!

catzrule40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank u buzby it would be awesome if you could get me some of those threads on soft claws. Is that oliver in the pic on the bottom??? If so he is sooooooo cute!!!! Give him a kiss and hug for me. he is just the cutest

janie'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had always heard that they came off really easily but maybe the scotch glue works better than whats included. I would be worried about the swallowing too because my cats will eat ANYTHING!

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine that there is any reason to be concerned about the safety of Soft Claws. Although I wouldn't expect it from my own cat, I'm sure the next cat to ingest a cap will not be the first.
---------------
5) Are Soft Claws safe and do they hurt the cat?

Soft Claws are completely safe, painless and non-toxic. Even if they are swallowed, no problem will result. They just pass on through the digestive system. The glue is harmless as well.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catzrule40

thank u buzby it would be awesome if you could get me some of those threads on soft claws. Is that oliver in the pic on the bottom??? If so he is sooooooo cute!!!! Give him a kiss and hug for me. he is just the cutest
Yup, that's Oliver as my signature.... he always gets tons of hugs and kisses, haha, so he'll welcome ones "from you".... that cuteness usually gets him anything he wants too haha... he actually begs for his cookies and my mom's always like "aw look at that face! how can you say no?!" I tell her she can pay for special food when he gets fat and needs a diet haha

Here's a thread about applying soft claws:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ight=soft+paws

Genreal soft claw raving:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ght=soft+claws

Ok, there are like a thousand more too if you need more, haha I just ordered a new pack of blue caps on Ebay tonight for Oliver... that's where I've found them the cheapest - about $14 plus a free cat nip mouse from the ebay store thecatandkittenstore and that includes shipping.... they have all sizes and a lot of colors

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I just ordered a new pack of blue caps on Ebay tonight for Oliver... that's where I've found them the cheapest - about $14 plus a free cat nip mouse from the ebay store thecatandkittenstore and that includes shipping.... they have all sizes and a lot of colors
Yeah, eBay seems to have the best prices. They're also $14 shipped at valleyvet.com, but that site doesn't have a good selection.

This post is where someone recommended using a better glue.

sangria14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had my vet put soft paws on my cat - they were good but they really seemed to bother my cat.... especially in the first 3-4 days. The web site keeps saying how cats dont even notice them - that was NOT true for my cat. He kept licking his paws and trying to 'shake' them off. I got the clear ones but I thought they looked kinda ugly (they stuck out when his claws were retracted). I just waited till they all fell off then I just trim my cats nails.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sangria14

I had my vet put soft paws on my cat - they were good but they really seemed to bother my cat.... especially in the first 3-4 days. The web site keeps saying how cats dont even notice them - that was NOT true for my cat. He kept licking his paws and trying to 'shake' them off. I got the clear ones but I thought they looked kinda ugly (they stuck out when his claws were retracted). I just waited till they all fell off then I just trim my cats nails.
It does take a little while for cats to get used to them... sometimes it takes several applications.... Oliver still shakes/licks his paws right after I apply them, but other than that he doesnt really notice them... I started with the clear ones on Oliver and unless you knew they were there, you didn't notice them, now he wears blue so of course they're noticable haha... but every cat is different!