RIP to author Robert Jordan

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Robert Jordon has been a part of my life, through his books for the last fifteen years and I was saddened deeply today to hear of his passing last week on the 16th. He had been dealing with his illness for along time and finally lost the fight. There has been talk for some time that his wife and editor would finish the 12th and final book in the Wheel of Time series, using his extensive notes and outlines, if he didn't live to finish it, so I guess we'll see if she really does. I hope so, since I'm one of the thousands who have been waiting for years for the end.

Such a tragic loss of talent and a truly good human being.

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love fantasy books. I have loved fantasy ever since we bought our first AD&D pc game Pool of Radiance. I have read everyone from Feist, Rowling, Eddings, Hickman & Weis, etc.
Do you know what illness he suffered from? I tried to get into his books, but they just moved to slow. That is the wonderful thing about books, if you don't like one, you can pick up another. I think that anytime we lose a well-known and cherished author it is such a loss to the literary world.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wondered for years if he would be around to finish the series.
He was a good fantasy writer and will be missed.

As for his books going slow, that's because he had so many characters to follow. Once you get into the story, it goes by pretty fast. Personally, I thought Feist's writing dragged and could never get into his work - except the short series he co wrote with someone else.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I wondered for years if he would be around to finish the series.
He was a good fantasy writer and will be missed.

As for his books going slow, that's because he had so many characters to follow. Once you get into the story, it goes by pretty fast. Personally, I thought Feist's writing dragged and could never get into his work - except the short series he co wrote with someone else.
I tried to read halfway through the first book and gave up.
My dad really likes him though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't normally read books that are so long and involved and complicated, but I couldn't put his down when I first picked them up all those years ago and have read and re-read up through book 11 probably 20 times in the last 15 years

He had amyloidosis, first diagnosed in December 2005.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. I didn't realise he had passed. That is so sad. The literary world has lost a true star. I loved WOT and although it seemed at times it would never end, and he lost his way in three of the books, for the first six I thought it was one of the best fantasy series I'd ever read and I am deeply, deeply saddened that he did not live to finish his works.

This is just tragic news, my thoughts will be with his family and all of his legions of fans tonight. RIP RJ.