Anyone own a pet store?

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here own a petstore or thought about it and maybe done some research on it they would like to share with me? I've recently decided it's time for a change and I think... that would be something I'd really like to look into further.
I am an animal freak. About the only animals I don't deal well with are bats and snakes. So I wouldn't be selling snakes. Lizards would depend how big they were. Although I would sell all of the supplies for all of them so would still need to learn all I can about them. I feel some animals don't belong in pet stores... Meaning I wouldn't be selling puppies. I do have a soft spot for Ragdolls. So I would CONSIDER having three females and a male who would be basically free to roam the premises. At the same time that would be a lot of kittens, kittens on a regular basis... etc. So I don't know that I would do it. I wouldn't cage them, but would set things up so that I didn't have to worry "much" about them getting out. I don't know exactly how I would do that yet, but have a few ideas and would appreciate anyone elses ideas as well... I don't know that I am meant to breed. I question it... just because I think I'd just end up with a whole bunch of cats because I'd be so paranoid about giving them up...lol There's so many homeless animals out there. My pet shop would be run with that in mind. The animals I carry will also be chosen with that in mind. I wish I could do it in a way that I was only producing maybe one litter a year... possibly two but no more than that. I don't know that it would be enough to keep the stud happy?
In time I would like to be breeding my own fish as much as I can. I've had fish as long as I've had cats...lol
I wouldn't want it to be your typical pet store. I'd love it to be a place where people are comfortable to just come and see the animals. Ask questions, educate themselves on them. A fish store I know comes to mind... it's in a little rinky dink town off the interstate. The woman loves saltwater fish. So she set up a building at her home where you can just go see her fish. She has huge tanks with couches to sit on. It's really neat. She says it's nice when she sells them, but she finds exposing people to them to be very rewarding.
Maybe as far as having cats goes I could hook up with the local animal shelters and "babysit" some of their cats and dogs in an effort to help them find homes? Then I know I wouldn't be dealing with the puppy mill people or running a kitty mill... but will actually be helping kitties who are exactly where I wouldn't want my babies to go.
Anyway... I think I'm going to designate the next year to learning all I can about this and another venture (Restaurant... I and my bf love to cook). I've always wanted a petstore. I recently went through a bout of breast cancer... and think it's time to do some of those things I've always wanted to do
I have the cash to get started and the credit when I need it so why not at least research it further right??? So okay...lol I'm done rambling... any ideas or information I'd love to hear it

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know someone who owns a pet store on Long Island, NY, but he doesn't sell animals--just food and supplies. Once you get into selling actual live animals, the responsibility in ten times more, and so is the work. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. Hopefully, somebody with pet store experience will post and be able to help you out.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would second you going with a really high quality food store. There is so little to choose from; I'm lucky that about 5 blocks away is an awesome pet food store. But even Petco and Petsmart have crappy food. It's very frustrating.

You could also have books, comfy chairs, coffee, just a cute eclectic store. I can just see it!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reptiles are hard. There is a lot to learn there, heat requirements, light/uvb requirements, supplementing, special diets, humidity, and vetting for possible disease/parasites. Certain diseases, such as crypto (short name for a type of coccida), can quickly kill reptiles and even sicken other animals. Dealing with something like that would be a big loss, all cages would have to be destroyed.

I'm sure it's much the same for bird care.

Take menasmom's suggestion, if you honestly want to do this, start out as a pet supply store. You could sell all sorts of specialty items for a number of animals, stuff that people usually have to buy online. You could also work with local shelters to help get animals adopted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah see... it is a huge responsibility. I'm so worried about contributing to the homeless pet community. I wonder what the laws are regarding just how far I can go when screening possible owners.
OH yes... it will definately be a lot of work. Especially the fish tanks. Daily water changes and ALL the other stuff that goes with fish. They really are complicated little creatures

Our closest pet store is an hour away and it's Petco. Well... we do.. but it's the type I choose not to support (puppy breeder gone bad) They don't really have anything in there anyway. The only animal they sell is their own shepards. They do mostly dog related things... obediance training and stuff. Most of their supplies are dog related too. They actually have less cat and fish supplies than our walmart does which is insane for a place that claims to be a "pet" supply store... They should just advertise dog supplies and such.
I was thinking after I originally posted this that I should say too that there has to be alot of things I haven't thought of yet that need to be considered. So even if you don't know much about opening a pet store, I'd like to hear any questions you might ask if you were considering it. I'm sure many of you will think of things I haven't thought of. I really really want to research this thoroughly before I even think about taking action

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MadAboutRags

yeah see... it is a huge responsibility. I'm so worried about contributing to the homeless pet community. I wonder what the laws are regarding just how far I can go when screening possible owners.
You could work though a rescue group or shelter, letting them would handle screening and legal contracts.

If you wanted to sell quality pedigree animals you'd have trouble first with convincing any decent breeders to allow their animals to be sold in a pet store.

Rodents, birds, and reptiles, unfortunately, often have mill type suppliers. Again, anyone serious about breeding them wouldn't want their offspring sold in a pet store.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be fantastic to teach people about good pet nutrition, and also have pets in to "visit" for adoptions.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well in my opinion I would have just about everything BUT live animals to sell - food, equipment, training. More education things. The only exception to the live animals would be your fish idea - that's ok

Now you COULD work with a foster/adoption group and have special days for open adoptions where they could come to your store for a few hours to place animals.

But as far a letting your Ragdolls run around and produce kittens for you to sell in your petshop I would not do it.

We spend enough time now trying to educate the public on HOW and WHERE to purchase their pets and petshops are one of the worse places. Even if your intentions are better then most, because of the quality associated with pet shop animals its not right to promote them buying cats from your shop vs cats from the average pet shop that we try to get people to NOT be buying from!

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A supply store does sound like a good place to start. Do the comfy seats like kluchetta said. Maybe set some of my own aquariums up just for people to watch. Sell just enough fish to keep the population under control. Could even have a ragdoll to just hang out with me. He could be the store mascott but could come home at night with the rest of us. Expose people that way
Like I said earlier, the one supply store is all about dogs. I could be about more than that. We don't have anything like that around here. It isn't because we don't have a call for it either... everyone has pets. We all travel an hour away for as good as "we can get". I have yet to find a book on Ragdolls in any pet store around here... and yeah...lol funny you mention the buying online thing... I have to get everything online. Just ordered goat dewormer for my fish online the other day. I searched high and low and couldn't find it anywhere here. Happens all the time...
I think working with the local shelters would be very rewarding. It would be a way of giving customers a little more of what they may be looking for without contributing to the issue of over population...
So I know you guys are right about that... now any ideas where I go from here...lol Things I should look up and learn more about???

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well in my opinion I would have just about everything BUT live animals to sell - food, equipment, training. More education things. The only exception to the live animals would be your fish idea - that's ok

Now you COULD work with a foster/adoption group and have special days for open adoptions where they could come to your store for a few hours to place animals.

But as far a letting your Ragdolls run around and produce kittens for you to sell in your petshop I would not do it.

We spend enough time now trying to educate the public on HOW and WHERE to purchase their pets and petshops are one of the worse places. Even if your intentions are better then most, because of the quality associated with pet shop animals its not right to promote them buying cats from your shop vs cats from the average pet shop that we try to get people to NOT be buying from!
I didn't mean to offend you. I said straight out that it was only a consideration and that I didn't think I was cut out for it anyway. I don't know how many times I said I did not want to contribute the over population problem. I also said that I wish I could do it and only have one litter a year but I didn't believe it would keep the male happy... that isn't a kitty mill. That isn't someone breeding for money or someone who has no more than the best of intentions. That is someone who is responsible, doing it as a hobby... for the love of the breed and will not take on more than they can handle.
What part of educating myself on the subject is asking you to promote a pet store that doesn't even exist???

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MadAboutRags

now any ideas where I go from here...lol Things I should look up and learn more about???
Business management/starting up a business, accounting, etc. City ordinances and licenses needed, what loans you can get to start your business. The boring stuff.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You asked for suggestions - I gave mine - I'd make it more supply and educational rather then sell animals.

Even if you love the breed, if you are not gonna be improving the breed and showing your Ragdolls, then IMO you shouldn't be breeding. You didn't offend me, just pointed out that most are against selling live animals thru pet shops - most (not you) get their stock from puppy/kitten mills or backyard breeders who let their cats breed.

I see nothing wrong with a few cats hanging out in the store as mascots - but do see something wrong with breeding them if you have no goal of producing QUALITY cats.

At first you said you "might" breed, then you later change about not contributing to the homeless population...can you see why I said what I did?

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mmmm... boring but very important stuff
I am fortunate to have a business background. I've been self employed for six years but worked side by side with my father in his store for 11 years prior. I think that's going to a big plus in this venture. I already have connections with wholesalers around the state

I'm sure there's a big difference in the city ordinances though between a little family run store and a pet supply store. So definately need to look into that
I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm thinking I should probably look into that first to be sure I could do it where I live. I have have my eye on a home I would like to purchase in the spring (if it's still there). I have no idea what the zoning is there. It has a descent sized like guest house a short ways from the main house. When I originally saw it my first thought was my current business. But if I do this, I would like to gut it and use that for the store. Right now it has a front office, private office, storage area, bathroom and kitchenette. If the town won't let me do it... there isn't any point in looking into that option any further
It would also be a big part of the decision to buy that house. See if I could do it that way, I could keep my over head down considerably.

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You asked for suggestions - I gave mine - I'd make it more supply and educational rather then sell animals.

At first you said you "might" breed, then you later change about not contributing to the homeless population...can you see why I said what I did?
Even if you love the breed, if you are not gonna be improving the breed and showing your Ragdolls, then IMO you shouldn't be breeding. You didn't offend me, just pointed out that most are against selling live animals thru pet shops - most (not you) get their stock from puppy/kitten mills or backyard breeders who let their cats breed.
Why wouldn't they be quality kittens??? I didn't say a word about showing or not showing and you didn't ask... I didn't say I'd be buying nothing but the best stock or that I would have my own stud to insure I bred nothing but the best stock. You didn't ask, but if you had I would have told you I don't buy less than the best of ANYTHING. Did you know I waited 5 years for my ragdoll... researched for years on the best BREEDER to buy him from, what to look for... and a million other things before ever called a breeder? Looked into his lines as far as I could possibly find. I know all about his grandparents... have pictures and info on his great grand parents.
I did ask for your opinion, but I didn't expect you to be rude about it. So maybe I'm the one who's offended. Maybe it was all the exclamation points in your post... You're basically without knowing the first thing about me saying that I would just breed and breed and breed with no regards to any of the things that are important. I said about not contributing to the homeless population as a reason NOT to breed... I listed all kinds of reasons not to breed... Maybe if you hadn't gotten so hung up on the breeding thing you would have heard the rest of what I said and realized I really wasn't into the breeding thing anyway.
No I can't see why you said what you did. Every one else made their point, but they were cival about it. They weren't being rude, insulting or cutting me down for asking a simple question like you did. IMO if you can't be cival, you shouldn't say anything at all.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was being civil about it - I didn't say you would breed and breed. And buying the best doesn't mean you should breed the cats.

IF you were serious about breeding, you study the breed inside and out, you show your cats. You know the standard. You breed quality - not quantity. How would you know if you have a pet kitten or a show/breeding kitten unless you took your cats out into competition. And if you were NOT into breeding - why did you even suggest it in the first place? Then you back up and say you are against it. IMO it sounded a little sneaky in "I want to open a pet shop and it will be ok to have a few Ragdoll kittens running around to sell" I do have a soft spot for Ragdolls. So I would CONSIDER having three females and a male who would be basically free to roam the premises. At the same time that would be a lot of kittens, kittens on a regular basis... etc. So I don't know that I would do it. I wouldn't cage them, but would set things up so that I didn't have to worry "much" about them getting out.
The animals I carry will also be chosen with that in mind. I wish I could do it in a way that I was only producing maybe one litter a year... possibly two but no more than that. I don't know that it would be enough to keep the stud happy?

Like I said - you can get a few ragdolls as pets and let them hang out in the store - that's cool. But running a store is one thing; breeding quality cats is another.

It would be hard to do both. You also talked about a restaurant. I think you should concentrate on either running a business (pet supply store or restaurant) or go into improving your chosen breed and showing, breeding quality cats.

How was I insulting/cutting you down? Pet shops should not be selling puppies and kittens - don't care WHO you are. I suggested you invite a rescue group to adopt out live animals.

Or didn't you like that suggestion?????

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Didn't read through the whole thread...but if you open a pet store, what about a place to exhibit adoptable animals through the local shelter?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Didn't read through the whole thread...but if you open a pet store, what about a place to exhibit adoptable animals through the local shelter?
Definitely! And don't forget to stock pet urine cleaner!!! I find it so hard to find around here.

I think you've got the right things going - business model, zoning - all that yucky stuff. I think it's important to provide something that's needed, but also things within the budgets of your likely customers. And my idea about the comfy furniture was so people would feel welcome there - maybe even just to come chat, or have a cuppa, or pet the kitties. For some reason, to me, kitties and books go together, that's why I said books too, LOL.

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"I suggested you invite a rescue group to adopt out live animals.

Or didn't you like that suggestion?????"

*I suggested it first... in my original post...

"How was I insulting/cutting you down?"

* "Even if you love the breed, if you are not gonna be improving the breed and showing your Ragdolls, then IMO you shouldn't be breeding"

"I see nothing wrong with a few cats hanging out in the store as mascots - but do see something wrong with breeding them if you have no goal of producing QUALITY cats."

"But as far a letting your Ragdolls run around and produce kittens for you to sell in your petshop I would not do it."

I don't see how one litter a year is producing cats solely for the purpose of kittens to sell in a pet store. I find it insulting that you would assume I would do such a thing. I find it insulting that you would even come down on me so hard about breeding when I myself said I didn't believe it was for me. Aren't you kind of missing the whole point of my post... Who said I have no intentions of producing quality cats... I didn't go into that because breeding wasn't the point of the post...

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree go with a pet supply store! We have one here, that has adoptions every week. Kind of how petsmart does it.You could do something like that! I'm sure the shelters would love to see more animals get adopted out! They do sell small animals too, but mostly just supplies. Good luck in whatever you do decide to do!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A pet supply store sounds great. And like the Petsmart does here, they do adoptions and feature animals from the local shelter.
I personally don't go into any pet stores that sell puppies or kittens, and I never buy any type of pet from a pet store.