Upset tummy in kittens

kapmeister

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

We brought home new kittens last night and both are having a little loose stool. They are eating (the same Science Diet as they have been) and are very active. We do plan to call the vet, but so far are attributing this to nerves. Anyone have similar experience?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The loose stools could be from stress, but it can also be something like coccidia or giardia. A fecal sample isn't a bad idra, IMO.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

The loose stools could be from stress, but it can also be something like coccidia or giardia. A fecal sample isn't a bad idra, IMO.
Could definitely be stress or a bacteria. If you take them in for fecals, ask them to test for coccidia and giardia. I know that they have to do a "different" test for giardia so just be sure to ask. And they should tell you to test for giardia on more than one occasion. It is hard to detect and does not always show up in each stool sample. When I took my kitty in for this, the vet let me bring in a sample two days later for a free test.

They may even prescribe flagyl just in case. It won't hurt to administer it to them. Good luck with your babies.