Tales you were told as a child and believed!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apart from the obvious Father Christmas and the tooth fairy, what tales were you told that you believed?

I have 3 that stick in my head.

1) I came out of my mums belly button apparently

Yep, I believed that until I went to school.

2)My dad and brother told me that if I saved all the holes from a packet of Polos and sent them back to the makers I would get a packet back for free!

3)My mum always had trouble getting me out of the bath when I was little so she would pull the plug and said the gurgling noise was the Gurgle-man
He lived down the bottom of our garden and he came up to drink the bath water and if I didn`t hurry up and get out he`d drink me too!

I used to go and look for him too

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) I was found under a cabbage leaf
2) If I swalloweed my gum, I'd get worms
3) If I didn't behave the boogey man would get me
4) If I swallowed a watermelon seed, a watermelon vine would grow out of my ears!

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

If I crossed my eyes they would stick that way for ever!

I believed in that too - its funny, this stories seem to be the same all over the world!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And for some reason...my daughters and my brothers all thought that black cows are always bulls! And if they had horns, they were bulls!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my grandpa once told me that if I shook salt on a bunny's tail, it would let me catch him....yeah, so after a couple hours of running around the yard with a salt shaker I still did not have a bunny

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know those circular air vents in old homes in the ceiling? My brother told me if I stood underneath one with a bowl, ice-cream will come down from it.
Mind you, I was about 2-3!
Evil brother...

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad used to tell my youngest sister they found her somewhere as a baby
; talk about childhood scars LOL.

-Chewing gum would not digest and would build up in my stomach larger and larger if I swallowed it;
-Frowning would make your face stick that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

my grandpa once told me that if I shook salt on a bunny's tail, it would let me catch him....yeah, so after a couple hours of running around the yard with a salt shaker I still did not have a bunny
That`s so funny. I can just picture it now

Did anyone here get told about the mystery kid who shoved a pea up his nose and it grew up into his brain?

Oh, and if you ate apple pips a tree would grow in your tummy?

And if you picked Dandylions you would wet the bed?

litterboxqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I watched tv lying on the couch, my eyes would go crooked.

When I misbehaved, my parents would call the "kidnapper."

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep got told about the dandylions lol and i belived it untill i was like 10!!

we had an old garage thing not far from where we lived, it was at the bottom of this downword pathway way that was surrounded by bushes, i used to get told there was a garage monster that would come and get us if we went down there lol again i belived it untill i was about 10 when i was brave enough to go down there to see if it was true lol.
its true what they say if you get told not to do something and get a reason why, then you will end up doing it anyway just to see.

oh and i never bealived in bed bugs, when we used to go to bed mum would say good night sweet dreams dont let the bed bugs bite, lol i never thought for a second that was true untill my husband started working for pest control i was 20 when i relised they was real lol. (we never had them in the house was just mum being mum)

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom used to tell me that if you leave the fan running with the windows closed and you fell asleep, you'd die. Not sure where her rationale for this came from.

Or if I don't eat her soup/food, that I'd get sick and die.

Or if I don't brush my teeth, there's going to be a cockroach infestation in my mouth.

Of course, being the rational minded kid I was, I never really believed any of this, and I even went as far as to test them. "Hey mom, Tony (our cat at the time), has been sleeping in the bed room all afternoon, and the windows are closed and the fan is on and he's still alive!"

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The big one I remember wasn't me, it was my sister. Dad told her that they found her in the vegetable section of the grocery store, and that's why she had blonde hair and blue eyes and they both had brown hair and brown eyes.
(Yeah, right - she's like the spitting image of my uncle Tim, but being a little kid the whole genetics thing and how recessive genes in both mom and dad would give her blonde hair/blue eyes went way over her head.
)

I know there was something about singing at the table, which I never understood because it was OK to sing grace at Girl Scout camp. But I do remember the sing-song that explained it:

Sing at the table
Or whistle in bed
And the Boogie Man'll get you
By the heel and the head!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was very lucky that my Mom and Dad didn't believe in filling my head with nonsense. If I asked a question I got an honest answer, not a glossed over one.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was little, i used to suck my thumb and carry my blanket around with me EVERYWHERE. My aunt told me one day that if i sucked my thumb, it would fall off. (she thought she could get me to stop by telling me that
i believed her for about a day and then went right back to sucking my thumb and was amazed when it didn't fall off
)

We used to go over to my Nanny's house for Sunday dinners when I was really little. At the time, my nanny and pawpaw raised jersey white rabbits for meat/etc to earn a living. (we didn't know why they had soo many! we just thought they were their pets.)
For years my nanny had told us that we were eating chicken for dinner. Well one day my sister Kimmy and I went into the back yard to play and saw the most horrible side of our childhood- our pawpaw killing our favorite rabbit for dinner
We ran into my nanny's house screaming that he killed our bunny and man, i don't think i've ever heard such colorful words in all my life when she went out there to give him a lecture
(he didn't see us sneaking outside!) From that day on we refused to eat there for quite a while lol. We also insisted our mom let us "rescue" one of the rabbits and took home one of them and it lived for years

Ohhh yea and the best one of all resulted in a trip to the ER
When I was a little girl, my mom took me to an Easter egg hunt at our church. Now at that Easter egg hunt, they also had those little gold foil covered chocolates that look like coins. My mom told me that they were candy and I could eat them....so i did. Well later on that week, i found some REAL coins in the bedroom floor of my mom's room...and yes...i thought they were candy
I swallowed several nickles and a penny
My tattle-tale older sister walked in just in time to see me eat the last one and sqealed to my mom. My poor mom had to take me to the ER for an x-ray to make sure they didn't block any organs/etc
That poor woman had to scoop my poop for days to make sure they passed and i didn't have to have surgery

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to think a watermelon plant would grow inside my stomach if I swallowed a seed.
I also thought that if I swallowed gum it would fall into my chest and get stuck on my ribs!
Also that if you cross your eyes they would stay that way forever.
And that if I walked on my heels with my toes up my legs would stretch!

My mom never told me these things, but my grandpa had fun with them.