Cat peeing ON ME!

janie'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What does it mean when your neutered, five month old male cat starts peeing on the bed, but ONLY WHILE YOU'RE IN IT? It's happened about three times now and it always happens in the early morning. We've had him checked for a UTI and everything and he's fine medically.

What do i do? Has anyone else had this happen before?

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat did this once and I hot washed everything (you need to make sure there is absolutely NO lingering scent) and scrubbed the mattress. If your cat can smell pee, he will re-mark his territory. I no longer let him in the bedroom during the night; I keep him in the sitting room now.

Do you have a litter box in the bedroom? If not, maybe put one in there or at least in the area. It might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janie'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a litter box in the closet thats connected to the bedroom. I want for him to still be able to sleep with me because I have two other cats who aren't having this problem and I don't want to lock them all out but I also don't want to single him out because they are very dependent on each other. he'd be incredibly lonely!

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a male cat who peed on me once when I was having a party. He just climbed up on my lap and peed. He was an outdoor/indoor cat and had a litter box inside. He never did it before or again. Imagine how embarrassed I was. I think he was telling me he didn't approve of my friends.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, first suggestion is take the litter box out of the closet. They like to be able to see when other cats are coming and going and the closet limits how much space he's got, it's also dark, and it will hold smells in.

Next thing is.. did you happen to change the comforter or bedding in any way, so the scents would have changed?

One of the things you probably want to do is take the bedding you have on there now and change it to something that has a completely different texture and consistency. Opposite, basically, from what he pottied on. Make sure when you scratch both materials with your fingernails that they don't even remotely sound the same.

Next thing is, immediately after you put the "new" comforter on the bed, take him and play with him on the bed. Kitties don't play where they potty, usually. This will also put his scent on the blankets... you'll want to roll him around and get him to basically rub himself all over it. Walking across the comforter won't do it... you could also take it, put your hand under it, and then rub him with it, especially around his face and mouth, and do it using different parts of the blanket/comforter so his scent is evenly spread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janie'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately taking the litterbox out of the closet would cause major issues.

The bedding could be a good point. When you said that I noticed that he had only been peeing on the smooth bedspreads so i've switched back to the rougher one we had when I first adopted him (which sucks because I just got a new pretty one) so maybe that will work. he peed again the other day, but not on the rough one, just the smooth one ( i had them both on the bed)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep the litter box there, but absolutely recommend new bedding. It is also imperative that you have a litter box for each kitty, some are possessive or very finicky about sharing litter boxes.......

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i hissed at mine how he was doing it, and he has yet to do it again.

please note i said yet.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Janie'sMom

Unfortunately taking the litterbox out of the closet would cause major issues.

The bedding could be a good point. When you said that I noticed that he had only been peeing on the smooth bedspreads so i've switched back to the rougher one we had when I first adopted him (which sucks because I just got a new pretty one) so maybe that will work. he peed again the other day, but not on the rough one, just the smooth one ( i had them both on the bed)
Switching the bedding might do it all by itself.

If it doesn't, though, you may need to consider that you may have to move the litter box out of the closet. Hopefully, though, the switching of the bedspread will fix it, and once he's gotten into the habit of having the other bedspread on the bed, you'll actually be able to put it back on the bed. I'd definitely wait until the little guy is a bit older, at least in the realm of six to eight months (although to be safe, I waited until Joyeux was eight months before putting mine back on).

If it's a closet issue (and it may not be, but you might discover it if there is another one for him to use for awhile that you can compare the usage).. on one hand you have a kitty peeing on the bed/you, or you have a litter box that's incoveniently placed. I'm also assuming, though, that its' a small closet, and that he's confined to a small space with basically no visibility when he's pottying. You may have a larger walk in type closet or a longer one, where there's more space. Hehe, I couldn't even fit a litter box in my bedroom closet.

However, it's more likely to be the bedspread. Hopefully removing it or covering it will change the surface enough that he'll stop doing it, and then once he's formed the habit and forgotten about peeing on it, most likely it will be resolved.

Keep us updated, and good luck! Lots of good vibes heading your way.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Switching the bedding might do it all by itself.

If it doesn't, though, you may need to consider that you may have to move the litter box out of the closet. Hopefully, though, the switching of the bedspread will fix it, and once he's gotten into the habit of having the other bedspread on the bed, you'll actually be able to put it back on the bed. I'd definitely wait until the little guy is a bit older, at least in the realm of six to eight months (although to be safe, I waited until Joyeux was eight months before putting mine back on).

If it's a closet issue (and it may not be, but you might discover it if there is another one for him to use for awhile that you can compare the usage).. on one hand you have a kitty peeing on the bed/you, or you have a litter box that's incoveniently placed. I'm also assuming, though, that its' a small closet, and that he's confined to a small space with basically no visibility when he's pottying. You may have a larger walk in type closet or a longer one, where there's more space. Hehe, I couldn't even fit a litter box in my bedroom closet.

However, it's more likely to be the bedspread. Hopefully removing it or covering it will change the surface enough that he'll stop doing it, and then once he's formed the habit and forgotten about peeing on it, most likely it will be resolved.

Keep us updated, and good luck! Lots of good vibes heading your way.
I honestly do not believe it is a "closet issue". All of my cats have used the enclosed litter box, looks like a crate..............as long as they have easy access to it, vision while using is not an issue. I would definitely rid of all possible scent of marking and place extra litter boxes in the home, possibly one with a different type of litter.......