frontline spray & earmites

jamban

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi,

Can frontline spray use to kill earmites?

Can someone list me a few of earmites drops?

Tq

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frontline should work for ear mites if used in the proper dosage. (the dose on the label). You should call your vet and speak to him/her about it though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FRONTLINE spray ( at least the ones I have seen )... IS for DOGS ONLY

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember several years ago that my mother used some frontline spray on our dog. A cat we had at the time licked the dog, not much luckily... but he did end up at the vets office being treated for poisoning.

Revolution drops, made for cats, are the ones you're thinking of that can treat ear mites too. Another option is separate ear mite drops/medicine that you can get from your vet. Please do not use anything OTC.

cyclura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is probably an old post but i thought i'd chime in anyways.

We have a few clients that use the spray on frontline. Very few have success, the animals like to lick the formula off of their fur and that poses a serious problem. Im not sure about if there is a seperate formula for cats but your vet will know. The best product to use IMO is the topical frontline cat. Its more expensive but it's also much more effective and safer.

As to the ear mites, go to your vet, have a mite smear done on the cats and if they do have mites, your vet can perscribe the appropriate parasiticide to treat them. Most anti-mite meds are a in liquid form thats dropped in the inner ear down as far as possible and then the ear is massaged very well. The best thing to do is to aviod cleaning the ear for a few weeks while the medication does it's job. It kills all newly hatched mites and it takes a few weeks for all of the remaining eggs to hatch and die.

The biggest reason why mite treatments fail is because the meds are not placed far enough down into the ear canal to treat all of the mites. Dont be afraid to jab the tube down in there, the cat's anatomy prevents you from hitting the ear drum so that is an impossibility.

Hope this helps!

-Adam