Yeah, I KNOW I need to ask my Vet ... (gross out warning)

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And we WILL be taking him in, in in a couple weeks!

But, does this still sound like it could be herpes, to y'all, or something else?

Uly has had a chronic sneezing problem since I got him in late July. He did 10 days of Clavamox and it improved but never went away. Next he did 10 days of Azithromycin, to the same effect. I have tried to give him 500 mg per day of Lysine for several weeks now and it seems to maken no difference.

He has a somewhat bloody, purulent mucus discharge, from one nostril, off and on like maybe every 2 -3 days. It is usually dry and he has sneezing fits to get it out. YECH!

I am thinking it may be a foreign body since it is isolated like that. How would a Vet diagnose that, and what do they do for him?

Anyone had an experience with foreign body up the nose, here?

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not to make you paranoid, but bloody discharge from one nostril concerns me more than the rest. I can't advise you as to what diagnostics are used to diagnose a foreign body/obstruction/tumor (benign or malignant)/etc., but you definitely want to get a vet's opinion sooner rather than later.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has a kitty that has/had what sounds like the same thing.

Mutie ( because he would meow and nothing came out) was really sick when she got him. His mom was dumped at the vet's office where she had kittens. They all got sick and only Mute and one other sibling survived. Even the Mom died.

Mute would start sneezing and then these really nasty bloody, green, mucousy gobs would go flying out of his little nose. Seemed to only be the right side. Sometimes they would be somewhat dried and sometimes they would be really wet and he would actually get like a bloody nose. This wasn't constant, just on and off.

In all other respects he was a normal kitten and grew well. We tried to figure out what was wrong for the first year of his life. Lots of vet trips. He had multiple courses of antibiotics and we even did sinus x-rays that we had read by the radiologist at the local hospital. They said that one nasal passage looked more narrow than the other. We never did get a diagnosis.

He eventually completely grew out of it, at about age 2. He is a very healthy happy kitty now.

Because of the worry about a foreign body or tumor, I would at least get an x-ray. If your vet has an endoscope small enough though that is what I would really have done. If it is a foreign body, they will remove it.

These symptoms are scary, and can't be ignored, but in our case we never could find out what the cause was.

Sending lots of vibes that this is nothing too serious and Uly recovers quickly.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have the vet take a good look - on and off bloody discharge from one nostril could be caused by a nasal polyp or something of that nature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well ... thanks for your responses! Good to know it is not ALWAYS something terrible, at least! I had heard some cats outgrow herpes by two yrs, so perhaps that IS in fact what it is ... but I definitely will be discussing with the vet, once again.

He is such a sweetheart, and his two littermates had crusty eyes and noses, too when I met them a month later at the adoption place ... so I do suspect it is caused by an infectious thing.

I was told nasal polyps are not very common in kitties, too, BTW (not that they NEVER occur, however).

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stanley had some nasty yellow bloody nasal discharge when we first got him. Took a two week course of azithromycin and interferon (three weeks of that) to finally get rid of it. Clavamox would take the edge off, but never made it go away for good.

I still give him regular lysine which does seem to help when he starts sneezing. Vet surmised that it was a combo of viral, bacterial and other assorted opportunistic infections from his prior rotten living conditions. (Stan was rescued from a 60 cat household).

Hope you find something that works for your kitty.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yikes -- poor Stanley ... er LUCKY Stanley, NOW! Is he a Somali? Handsome boy, whatever he is ...

I will keep up on the Lysine -- did not consider interferon but if it is viral that surely would help too! Will check on that with our Vet.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

Yikes -- poor Stanley ... er LUCKY Stanley, NOW! Is he a Somali? Handsome boy, whatever he is ...

I will keep up on the Lysine -- did not consider interferon but if it is viral that surely would help too! Will check on that with our Vet.
Thanks. Stanley is a gorgeous lovebug (species: felis domesticus rescue
), but no Somali. He also flops around like a ragdoll and is an all-around sweetie. When he's had a good brushing and you can see his ear and foot tufts he looks like a maine coon.

I do think the interferon made a big difference for him. It took about four months all together before we got to the point where we added the interferon. We got it through a local compounding pharmacy (it was fish-flavored!).

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks sweet!

Fish-flavored interferon ... who'da thunk?
My vet seems to be on a jag of using custom compoundments ... so that should not be a problem!