Snake!!!

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If there's one thing I DO NOT have the stomach for, it's snakes. I woke up from a nap to find my 2 girls, Sophia and Gette, staring intently under the book case...the baby had her arm stretched underneath. Oh, I figured, another lizard in the house, as I keep the patio door open so they can come in and out of the house. Jiggy was in the patio, minding his own beeswax, for some reason.
So I get up, grab the flashlight, get down on my hands and knees, and oooh nooooo!!! It's a thin, brown snake!!! Of course, I get so scared, I suck all the air in from the room through my mouth, and my husband immediately knows what THAT means!!!
It took a good 20 minutes for him to finagle the slithering creature into a big empty coffee can and stick the lid on. It got as far as one foot from our bedroom door, though, before this happened.
We released him in the front of the yard, but the baby's still looking for it under the bookcase...go figure. Sophia must've been last on line when God was handing out brains.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, I love snakes. I had a similar situation last year when they filled the ditch behind the dumpster at my apartment. I guess there were some snakes living there and filling the ditch displaced them. Anywho, a baby water snake had crawled in and was sunning in the kitchen. Shami found him and was immediately attracted to it, and I was like no no, since I didn't want him to eat it (has a habit of eating stringy things). Just grabbed it, admired it for a few, took it for a walk down to the nearby lake, and let him loose near the tall grass hoping the hawks don't get him while I walked away.

Similar incident with a rather large garter snake in my uncle's garage. He was all ready to kill it in a bottle of bleach, but I just stood there laughing as the snake was latched onto my wrist trying to chew his way free, and spraying musk all over the place. Meh, after being bitten and scratched by cats, being chewed on by a snake is no big deal.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love snakes too
Especially the colorful corn/milk snakes.

I still say that most don't like them cause they have no legs. If you put 4 legs on them, people would not be so bad about them
Course then they would be a "lizard"

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i don't mind snakes either
my sister has an albino corn snake. He's pink and white with a yellow belly,
he's very clever and often tries to escape
luckily we have found a way to block all of his escapes routes and fix his doors so they don't open very easily

Saying that... not sure i like a wild snake in my home?!

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ewww.. freaks me out just encountering them in my garden. Snakes and Bats are not for me...lol I can't imagine finding one in my house. Snake that has... I've had way too many experiances with bats in the house

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby woke up from a nap with one in the bed with him. The boys brought it up from the basement and were playing with it on the bed while he was sleeping. Man I've never seen him jump out of bed so fast!
I thought I was going to wet myself from laughing so much! Poor Hubby! He was NOT a happy camper!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kerry'n'ben

he's very clever and often tries to escape
luckily we have found a way to block all of his escapes routes and fix his doors so they don't open very easily
Have you tried some lid locks? http://www.reptilesupply.com/product...roducts_id=916

I haven't used that specific kind, but it seems they no longer carry the ones I use. Simple and cheap, and they can also prevent a cat from knocking a lid off. I suggest them for any critter kept in an aquarium type set up that you want to protect. Cause unfortunately, a loose snake (or any small animal) in a household with cats is a potential cat snack.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind snakes if they're harmless but I'm very careful around poisonous ones. When I was a Senior at high school, we had two ball pythons in the school's lab that I always had around me. The little guy could fit in my pocket and would stay there and the bigger one could wrap itself around my waist, hooking onto my belt loops and just 'hang out'.

There was one time that I had to deal with diamond back rattlers. Apparently there was a nest born in the empty lot next to my parent's home and a baby came up to my step-mom as we were working outside. I didn't want to kill it but merely move it but my step-mom told me to chop its head off. Eh, I have a soft spot for all animals, whether they're deadly or not.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We had an African stone python in our cellar one time. Since we don't live in Africa, we figure somebody abandoned it. Jamie was thrilled, although it was big enough to eat him! The poor thing is still in a shelter!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

We had an African stone python in our cellar one time. Since we don't live in Africa, we figure somebody abandoned it. Jamie was thrilled, although it was big enough to eat him! The poor thing is still in a shelter!
Awww that is sad

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

That was my same reaction when I read this. My gf once had a same story but with a big snake, a really big snake and that was so scary. One day she just goes to open the door for the small backyard and then suddenly out of nowhere a snakes comes! It jumped on her and she was paralyzed as she didn't expect a snake to do a such thing, but then it seemed the snake wasn't jumping but only to move on as if you're not moving the snake detects you only as on obstacle. So nothing really big happened but the story itself was very scary.

Personally I think people don't fear of the snakes themselves, they fear of their poison and that's why stay away from snakes, as nobody likes to get closed to something that kills you within a few hours.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate the snakes!..
...please don´t think in a wrong way...
....I mean I think maybe I have a phobia!..
...( like Indiana Jones!!!
)..... Is just can´t be near to one of them...

I to know the Snakes are useful animals and necesary on the chain feed...and all animals are useful to bring stability at the kingdom animal...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awww that is sad
I'm glad somebody agrees with me, Nat! I don't know whether it's unadoptable, because there's no CITES certificate, or nobody is interested in such a big snake. It has been there for ages, and no zoos are interested.