Christmas?

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to stop in the city today on the way home to pick up a few things, and stopped at a national chain store that shall remain nameless

They already had Christmas stock set up!! I asked one of the clerks why it was out so early, and she told me that they'd set up the Christmas displays on September 10th

What is wrong with these people??? Halloween is still a month away for goodness sakes. It is over 3 months till Christmas!!!!

I think I'm about ready to boycott Christmas, at least the commercial side of it.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm one of those freaks who looks for the Christmas displays as early as they put them up.
We're already looking at the Village pieces that we want to buy this year. I just LOVE Christmas! My whole year revolves around 2 things - the first week of August, which is the National Rifle Matches and I'm the coordinator for the Colorado team; and Christmas!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Back when I worked for Hallmark the annual ornament premier was always in July. But then those are big collector items. People are truly nutty over them.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the supermarket on Thursday night and sure enough there was a small section already selling Christmas stuff, it's quite honestly ridiculous. We haven't even gone back onto daylight saving yet and it's still light at 7pm, absolutely crazy.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing, how about if we boycott, with the demand that we all
want retailers to restock their stores with new x-mas things right after Thanksgiving!
we'll all be so sick of the crap that was put out in September, and you talk about
picked over!!!!!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The large chain store I was in yesterday had the same thing going on. I swear if I start hearing carols in October I'm not putting up a tree this year.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect Santas, both figurines and ornaments. I hit the permanent Christmas stores all year long.
If you are into crafts, you need a long lead time to make things for Christmas. I have some projects that i bought years ago and still haven't gotten to do.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love christmas but I think all advertising etc should be banned until the 1st of December!! I was even surprised to see Halloween decorations last week.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sort of a firm believer that Christmas and Halloween Decorations clash to much to be up at the same time...

Gives me nightmares of Santa delivering presents in a Freddy Kruger Mask

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I'm one of those freaks who looks for the Christmas displays as early as they put them up.
We're already looking at the Village pieces that we want to buy this year. I just LOVE Christmas! My whole year revolves around 2 things - the first week of August, which is the National Rifle Matches and I'm the coordinator for the Colorado team; and Christmas!
Ohhh i'm the same way!!! I went this week and bought quite a few Christmas ornaments. (one of our stores near me, Garden Ridge starts selling them in Sep. and if you don't buy the ones you want by Oct-early Nov- they are GONE! and they don't restock.) I LOVE going shopping early because a lot of times I can find things on sale or drastically reduced prices/etc early enough so that I can plan ahead and i'm able to afford to decorate my home/shop for others and do a good job while sticking to my budget.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's sickening, isn't it? I mean, can we please get past Halloween at least before you get the Christmas stuff out? I saw the same thing last week in one store, though I can't remember which one it was... Unreal, huh?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I am sort of a firm believer that Christmas and Halloween Decorations clash to much to be up at the same time...

Gives me nightmares of Santa delivering presents in a Freddy Kruger Mask
after Halloween is plenty of time for everyone to get their Christmas stuff

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It suits me, so long as it's not the whole shop decorated. I dont' like to wait until the last minute to do my christmas shopping. I try to do it bit by bit as I can't afford it all in one go (and out of one month's salary) and I can't carry it all home if I don't do it a bit at a time either. And if you are sending presents overseas then you need to get them sorted out early.

I love christmas though. I wandered around the christmas section of a couple of stores today with a big smile on my face

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing with a Christmas theme I have displayed now is the several Santa carvings that my FIL has made and given to us over the years. I will take a few pics and post them here when I unpack the cord to hook up the digital camera to my computer.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the stores around here are stockd up with fall items thank goodness.
Way to early for major christmas displays!!