toilet training?

tash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
has anyone here ever toilet trained your cat?

if so have you ever tried one of those toddler seats? they are smaller then a regular seat so I don't know if that would help or not.

also after you have them using the toilet do they regress if you move to a diffrent house?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought about it 19 yrs ago ... THANK GOODNESS I didnt .... I caught kidney failure early enough for my Kandie to live another four years... the main sign was larger clumps and more urine output

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well... since I was pregnant my husband has been doing all of the litterbox stuff. but he complains loudly which is one of the reasons I want to switch. and I don't think he would notice the diffrence. Plus I don't I would even notice the diffrence between the diffrent kinds of lumps either... really I didn't know there was a diffrence.....

we do have a water fountain and they seem to drink a lot from it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
when it changes .. you know... KandieRB
normally had small golf balls .... if a uti was starting it was pea sized and CRF made two tennis hooked together

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I know it seems like a cool concept, but just think about the position your cat will have to get in to use a human toilet... it is very very unnatural for them and can cause not only muscle/joint/tendon/physical problems but also behavior problems.... your cat may comletely reject the idea and decide to eliminate elsewhere... cleaning up after pets is part of owning them - I understand the pregnacy/cleaning the litter issue, but the DH should learn to grin and bear it for a bit (you are carrying his child, hahaha - just ask if he'd rather clean litter or have hemeroids, cramps, swollen ankles, have to pee every 3 minutes, etc)

This is just my opinion of course

tash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well our daughter is 20 months now. and really being pregnant/birthing isn't that bad.

I am not really trying to decide to do it or not. I am looking for tips on how to do it. I already know the basics. but my main question was will a toddler toilet seat help by making the toilet opening narrower?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it could but .... I wouldnt ... do you want the toddler using a seat that the cat may have peed on???

tash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

it could but .... I wouldnt ... do you want the toddler using a seat that the cat may have peed on???
they would be using diffrent seats. we have two toilets in the house. I just wonder if I should buy two (one for the cats, one for the baby) or just one.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One for baby and a special cat one for the cat ... they have multiple steps for a cat ...

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Pepper is trying to toilet train herself. She is a large cat, so it is not as hard for her as it would be for some cats, but it still a challenge. She is not very good at it, because the urine usually ends up on the floor by the toilet, but she is trying. She still poops in the litter box.
I had not thought of a toddler toilet. Maybe she will use one of those if I put litter in it. Hmmmmm.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I know it seems like a cool concept, but just think about the position your cat will have to get in to use a human toilet... it is very very unnatural for them and can cause not only muscle/joint/tendon/physical problems but also behavior problems.... your cat may comletely reject the idea and decide to eliminate elsewhere... cleaning up after pets is part of owning them - I understand the pregnacy/cleaning the litter issue, but the DH should learn to grin and bear it for a bit (you are carrying his child, hahaha - just ask if he'd rather clean litter or have hemeroids, cramps, swollen ankles, have to pee every 3 minutes, etc)

This is just my opinion of course
I didn´t to know about it ...
I thougth that it would be nice for the kittys...
...I think in order to this the traditional method!

tash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

My Pepper is trying to toilet train herself. She is a large cat, so it is not as hard for her as it would be for some cats, but it still a challenge. She is not very good at it, because the urine usually ends up on the floor by the toilet, but she is trying. She still poops in the litter box.
I had not thought of a toddler toilet. Maybe she will use one of those if I put litter in it. Hmmmmm.
well there are two diffrent "toddler toilets". the "potty chair". which is its own seprate unit. and the "potty seat" which is a regular toilet seat, but in minuature, that sits on top of your adult seat on your regular flushing toilet. the potty chair is closer to the floor and transportable, but it needs emptying. the potty seat is up high, over the water so some kids get scared, but some kids prefer to be like mom and dad and to go in the big potty. I was thinking the potty seat for the cats so they would be using the regular toilet.

thats really neat that shes trying to do it herself. she probably sees you and thinks thats what is normal.

one step ahead has a really neat seat where the toddler part dissapears into the lid when adults are using it. it looks really neat and the plastic one is only $30. the wood one is $40.