A house less than a mile from where I live now blew up while I was in high school due to a gas leak. The man and his daughter were putting a tile floor in the kitchen and hadn't shut off the gas properly. The daughter had spent the night at a friends house down the street so she survived, but there was nothing of the Dad to recover.
The mother was out of the country and there was an older daughter in college at the time.
I lived about 5 miles from it and I heard it clearly. My friend was so startled by the noise she fell out of her bed. My step-dad worked with a guy who's house was next door and it was moved off it's foundation and he and his wife had shrapnel injuries. It was an awful tragedy. I'll never forget it.
It's part of the reason I was so cautious when I smelled gas in my house last spring. Thank GOD that I caught it early!