I found a teensy baby...

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About a week ago, I was taking my dog out for a walk when I heard a loud crying mew. I went searching for the source, and it seemed to be coming from this large planter type structure attached to the front of a house near mine. I lifted up one of the bushes growing there and found this tiny, crying kitten... There was no sign of a mom, littermates or even a nest so I have no idea how she got there! The planter is 4-5 feet off the ground so there's no way the kitty could have just crawled in.
Anyway, it was rather cool out so I was worried the baby would get chilled. I took her in my house right away. She was guessed to be about 1-2 weeks old but very small for her age. Later I went out searching for any more kittens or a mother but did not find any. We have a lot of ferals in the neighborhood.

The lucky thing was I already had a heating pad, kitten milk replacement, and a new extra kitten bottle in the house (I recently petsat for an orphan kitten). This meant I was able to get her warmed up and fed right away. She really was not liking the bottle even after a day+, she would keep crying when I tried to feed her and spitting it out, but then rooting around for food. I decided to try to find a surrogate nursing mom cat for her. I got a message from someone who had rescued a pregnant cat which had given birth 2 weeks ago but two kittens were stillborn so she was only raising 2 and had too much milk. She was vet checked and tested and everything already, the rescuer had taken her in after the birth to make sure the stillbirths were not caused by health problems (the vet said they weren't.) It turned out the woman with the rescued mom lived right in my neighborhood!
Luckily she accepted the baby with no problems at all. The rescuer separated all the babies from the mom and put the orphan with the rest of the litter, then a while later let the mom back in and mom picked up each kitten, brought them all back to her nest and started nursing all three.

So the little baby is being raised by a surrogate/foster mom. I will be bringing her back home when she is weaned and ready. I totally fell in love with her in the 2 days I had her... She is either a calico or a torbie, not sure which yet.

You can see photos here
of the kitten. The woman who is fostering her said she would send me some soon of her with her new "mom."

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh thats such a great story, it warms my heart so much to hear things like this!
What a great coincidence (miracle?) that the woman lives so close to you...it's like it was meant to be!

She's such a cutie pie! Congrats on being a kitty savior, the cat is going to love you forever for it.
Please keep posting pics and updates!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU
for caring and for loving this tiny waif -- I pray she'll have a loving forever home with you soon and a long, happy, healthy life
. Thanks for sharing those precious pix with us, too!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh bless her little heart, she's adorable.
Posey is such a fitting name for her.

Bless you for helping that little sweetheart.

How wonderful you were able to find a Mother cat that took her on as her own.
She'll have a wonderful home with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

How adorable!! That kitty was lucky you took your dog for a walk!
Yes, she was VERY lucky because usually I walk my dogs at night! The only reason I was outside at ALL that that time (about 5pm) was because a friend had called me and asked me to meet her nearby.
She is also lucky that I actually heard her crying, because when I got out the door I was going to to the opposite direction to where the kitten was, and if I had not heard her before I'd started walking that direction I would never had heard her!

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful story!
Thank you so much for saving that poor little one!

lizard lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OH my she is cute! How do you not get attached, lol. I have the same problem with some of the kittens I have taken in, lol. You have a beauty though!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little worried as I haven't heard from the woman who is fostering the kitten in a while... I sent her a couple emails but she didn't reply. I'm going to try calling her tonight.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please let us know how the baby is doing, once you get hold of the person who's fostering her.
Hopefully she's just having computer problems.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok...now I'm really worried. I tried calling the cell phone # she gave me but I got a voicemail and the person who was speaking had the same name but a totally different voice/accent...

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know where she lives?
If it were me I would pay her a visit.
It may all be innocent, maybe her daughter, sister or mother recordered her voicemail message for her, but I think I stop in just to be on the safe side.

Sending vibes and Prayers that as is well with that sweet baby.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have her exact address

I'm really worried, I don't know what to do!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did she find you to begin with?
If your Vet gave her your name, then I'd call the Vet and explain to him what's going on and ask if he can either give you her address or contact her for you.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had asked online if anyone knew of anyone in my area of the city with a nursing mother, that's how she found me.

Now I don't know what to think...everything seemed to be on the up-and-up and now I just am really really concerned.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where online did you ask?
If it was here, I really believe with all my heart that everyone here is honest and would never do anything to hurt you or the baby.

If you asked on another site then I think you should go back there..now this isn't really honest...but I'd pretend to be someone else asking about a nursing mother and if she answers that post then I'd get her address.
Like I said it's not really honest, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Good luck, I hope it all turns out to be nothing.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I'll try that if I don't hear from her really soon. It was on a rescue cat site and also classifieds site...
I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to take a 1-2 week old kitten under false pretenses...
Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding...

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still no sign... I don't know what to do! I left a message at the cell phone # and I have not gotten a call back or an email...