How many of you hav Alpaca Rugs at home?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read a thread that mentioned Alpaca fur, and it got me to thinking about the Alpaca Rug that I own.

It was a splurge buy in Las Vegas back in 2000. It is a gorgeous, huge rug with a big lion on it, and it cost me around $300 at the time. Similar rugs today are at least $399. I totally LOVE it.

I had it on a wall over the couch for a couple of years, but then I moved, and there was no wall space for it. I didn't think that using it on the floor was wise, so I packed it away, and it has been stored for the last few years.

Now I'm thinking about pulling it out again, and this time maybe even using it on the floor in my office. After all, keeping it put away in storage certainly doesn't give me any value for the money I spent, and it is really beautiful and deserves to be displayed.

Considering the fact that I bought it before I had cats, I was concerned about it getting dirty and that is why I packed it away instead of having it out.

And now, considering that I have cat fur all over EVERYTHING, it occurs to me that it may make sense to just put it out on the floor and the heck with being concerned about it getting dirty. It is a RUG, after all.

What do you all think I should do with it? And how many of you have Alpaca items out and about in your homes?

I'm thinking that my cats, Ginger especially, might really enjoy a finely crafted Alpaca rug to lounge about and knead upon.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had (please note the past tense) Alpaca rug.

Scratch decided that it was his first of many wubbies, and wouldn't leave it alone. One day 8-Bit decided that he was going to beat on Scratch. Scratch must have had to go potty, but was holding it for some mysterious reason. He peed all over the rug.

That was the first and only time Scratch has ever gone outside the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far we have one "had" and two "I want a live Alpaca" responses.

They are really cute, and from what I understand, are less expensive to care for than a single cat.

By the way, for those that are unaware, I was taught by an Alpaca farmer that Alpacas are considered to be sacred animals in some cultures, and that they are never slaughtered for their pelts.

Instead, pelts are taken from those that die natural deaths. Most Alpaca products are produced from their wool, which can be shorn just like sheep. (Sort of like giving your cat a lion cut.)

Just FYI...assuming that I was told the truth...

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a friend who has an alpaca farm. I just love those things. Their wool can go for hundreds of dollars, depending on their colour. What colour is your rug?

I would love an alpaca farm as well - they are the most beautiful things ever!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I have a friend who has an alpaca farm. I just love those things. Their wool can go for hundreds of dollars, depending on their colour. What colour is your rug?

I would love an alpaca farm as well - they are the most beautiful things ever!
It has a white border and background, with a large, side profile of a lion's body across the center, tail curling up, very similar to (but not exactly like) this one.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

It has a white border and background, with a large, side profile of a lion's body across the center, tail curling up, very similar to (but not exactly like) this one.
Oh lovely! The darker the hair, the more expensive it gets. I bet it would feel so beautiful to luxuriate on! The cats would love it!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

B- that looks amazing. I say put it out on a trial basis and see if it works.