Is this really possible

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay everyone here by now knows that I love my animals very much. And I would do anything in my power for them. As I am sure everyone here feels the same way about their animals. I feel like mine are my children as I don't have kids.

Well my sister told someone that I care too much about my babies and that they are JUST animals. And I for one hate that phrase. They are not just animals they are my babies. I think we are the social norm and that I simply live in an area that hasn't seen the light yet.

But do you think its possible to do too much for your babies?

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ummmmmmmmmm NO!!!!!!!!! My sister doesnt understand either why i care so much for my cats. They are my kiddos. My moms cat died and she was so upset and cried for days. My sister said "they're just animals get over it" So i understand where you are coming from. Its your life so dont frett what anyone says girl!!

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bah!
I can't stand it when somebody says they're "just animals". Like you, I don't have children and consider my pets my family. I suppose there is probably a line somewhere that could be considered doing "too much" but I don't know where that woulde be. It's subjective. What length you would go for your pets is your business and nobody else's. People who consider pets "just animals" don't know what they're missing.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No!!!!! It is not possible to care to much about our kitties.
My darling sister once said to me "You don't have a life you have cats" she thinks her life and time is more important than mine because she has kids (ages 21 & 23
).

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people just don't understand and unfortunately it will always be that way. We can just share our love for our babies on TCS! I love mine so much, I think about them all day at work and can't wait to get home to them! Last night I was reading in bed and Sebastian got under the covers and under my knees which were propped up. He was warm and cozy!

I lost an animal when I was in 10th grade. It has been 10 years and I still get sad when I think about her.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that from sooooooo many people, too. I think its okay to love them as you would a child. I don't have children, either, as most of you have mentioned. I'm sure the love we have for our furkids is the same love we'd have for our skinkids. Maybe not having actual children, the womens' instinct kicks in with our pets?

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jamasmom

No!!!!! It is not possible to care to much about our kitties.
My darling sister once said to me "You don't have a life you have cats" she thinks her life and time is more important than mine because she has kids (ages 21 & 23
).
IMHO, this seems to be a factor in that opinion. Their life and time is more important than yours "because she has kids". You have no idea how many times I hear that from my sisters.

They don't have the inclination to consider their animals more than pets because they have kids that are more important. One sister considers her dog part of the family, but the cat is "her son's cat". The other sister hasn't had an animal in the house since her husband's dog died because its just too much trouble.

They don't know what they are missing when your furkid climbs up in your lap and snuggles in. Especially when they go against their nature of hiding when they are scared and come to you to make it "all better".

PS...I don't mean to insult those members here who have children. I consider you an exception to the rule.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i dont thinkk you can ever love your kitties too much.. i love my baby more than anything, and they are more than just pets or animals... i am only 20 and have no children yet, but monster IS like a child to me, and i have had people say that i love him too much and i just laugh at them bc they obviously have never had love like this. i look at monster directly in the eyes and i kno just by the way he looks at me that he loves me. there are no lies, just love. that is whats so wonderful about opening you home and heart to animals, bc they love you unconditionally, no matter who you are, where you live, etc. they just love you bc you are you... and thats why they are so special.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am SO glad I was raised in a family where pets were definitely a part of the family.

When we first got the cats, my mother offered to pay for Trent's neuter. Just because it needed to be done.

When my sister's dog jumped out of a moving vehicle in the mountains (miles from their home), and came back a week later having lost over 50 pounds and with a horribly broken leg, my father loaned her the money for the surgery on Rocco's leg (well over $1000 - he now has a plate and 6 screws in his back leg!).

There is no such thing as "It's just an animal" in our family!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I am SO glad I was raised in a family where pets were definitely a part of the family.

When we first got the cats, my mother offered to pay for Trent's neuter. Just because it needed to be done.

When my sister's dog jumped out of a moving vehicle in the mountains (miles from their home), and came back a week later having lost over 50 pounds and with a horribly broken leg, my father loaned her the money for the surgery on Rocco's leg (well over $1000 - he now has a plate and 6 screws in his back leg!).

There is no such thing as "It's just an animal" in our family!
Wow! That was so nice of them!

I am lucky too - my grandparents gifted me thousands of dollars to move my cats to NZ. They really understand.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely impossible to love them too much. I too have gotten the "they're just animals." speech and I can't wait until some of the people who have said it to have kids so I can say "they're just children."

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO if you try to send them to college then you are crossing the line. Other than that, they may not be human kids, but they are living creatures take you are responsible for, so to me, that makes them on the same level as human kids (which I don't have). It's my responsibility to make sure they are safe, eat right, and are happy. They need more than just food and shelter, and a lot of people don't understand that.

lizard lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is just my opinion,,,,, I think the people who have the opinion of "they are just animals" are the ones I almost always get my rescues in from. I have four kids and a zoo, lol. I teach my children about responsibility for your animals, no matter what it is, a cheap hamster, snake, goldfish, cat or whatever. If it gets sick you take care of it, take it to the vet,, do everything you have to. It si something that actually teaches children very important life lessons, which can also trigger how well they care for their own kids, etc.

For example I have a giant african sulcata tortoise who the previous owner used to let their kids kick him around, sit on him, feed him fruit loops, etc. Well they broke his leg by sitting on him, and of course they refused to pay toi have it fixed, so thats how he ended up here. Now really,, what did they teach their kids???,, To abuse animals, not have any responsibility for their own actions. It is kind of a scary thought to think some of these types of kids are going to be the ones caring for me when I am old and gray.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The phrase "just an animal" really gets under my skin. . .No one who has never shared their life and love with an animal would ever understand what we're talking about.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

IMO if you try to send them to college then you are crossing the line.
They'd expel Mosi on the first day.

The "just a cat" things annoys me too. If it's possible to care too much for pets then I plead guilty. They're my little boys and I spend more time with them than I do with my human family as I see them every day. When Mosi had to have an operation a few weeks ago which cost over £400 my mum was shocked and said "don't spend any more money on those cats". Like I'd choose not to get them veterinary treatment! I don't think she was entirely serious, and we did have a dog when I was a child, but I think she considers me a bit crazy to spend what I do on giving them the best food, toys etc. She does buy them christmas and birthday presents though

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In point of fact, humans are "just animals" too -- it's all a continuum, paramecium and platyhelminthes and felinus catus and homo sapiens, et al. And the more we learn about the intelligence of what we often call "the lower animals," the more blurry the lines of distinction become.

Yes, it's ridiculous to give your cats sterling silver food bowls and gold-plated brushes -- those things don't make them any happier or healthier, so you ought to donate the excess money to a rescue project instead.

But the "you do too much for your cats" complaint usually comes from people who think dry food is good enough, tap water is safe enough, living outdoors is fine... that sort of thing.

I guess those people see pets as some sort of burden, whose upkeep is to be minimized and begrudged. How they can fail to notice the great lifelong gift of love, loyalty, and companionship our animals lavish upon us, I do not understand.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

In point of fact, humans are "just animals" too
And I think you hit the crux of the problem right there. Many many people refuse to acknowledge that they too are just animals, and some will get outright offended and violent if you tell them that.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm tough, i think some people sometimes forget there cat is a cat. or a dog is a dog.
They seem to want them to be little people etc. but to care or love them to much ?
dont think so.

"Yes, it's ridiculous to give your cats sterling silver food bowls and gold-plated brushes -- those things don't make them any happier"

have to agree, the cat does not care one once if the its bowl is silver all the cat wants is food in that bowel. eheh.