How do I arrange furniture like a man?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking B last night and he made one request for when the movers get here and I start to decorate:

"Don't arrange the living room furniture like a woman. Arrange it like a man."

I asked what the difference was. He said that a man will arrange the furniture (sofa/loveseat) to face the TV.

I have to admit though, I have not always liked that the TV is the focus point of the sitting (living/family) room. We have this awesome gas fireplace that I would love to be the focal point...but I guess TV is more important

Then again though, I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't have their couches facing the TV.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first reaction to you posting was "Why would you want to?" I would also make the fireplace the focal point.

Do you have room to have 2 focal points and seating areas? Even if it is just 2 chairs facing the fireplace. I used to have a fireplace in my bedroom in my first apartment and I brought over just 1 chair and a tiny table. It was my favorite rainy day place.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are lucky. We have 2 rooms and 1 tv. The living room has the love seat and chair both facing the tv.

We also have a family room for when guests are in the house where its 2 couches and a loveseat and NO tv. The furniture is facing the coffee table in the middle.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my living room. the fireplace is at one end, the tv at the other, so I put the sofa and loveseat on either side, so we both get our way I also put some small but cosy chairs on either side of the fireplace, so you can cuddle up and get warm, while you watch tv

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's funny how we do that...
The TV in our apartment doesn't work...so the room is NEVER used...and the sad thing is, I know if we connected the cable to it, people would start using the room...I even like to have the TV on for background noise when I do homework and things!!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heres an options! (remember I LOVE interior design so post like this make me happy!) You could (either yourself or hire someone) to build a large surround that either extends from your mantle or makes a new one. And in the surround you can have book shelves, knickknack shelves, AND A place for your tv! And then you can put doors on it and hide the tv when there are guest over!
Or if the fireplace is in the middle of the room, you can put a couch on either side, and in the corner an armoire with the tv, if that makes any sense, it does in my head, but that doesnt mean a lot! Or you could always buy a plasma tv and put it over the fireplace like a piece of art!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you make it so the playstation controller can reach him with out dragging the unit into the middle of the floor heehe..

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow
I don't have my furniture in a guy arrangement! I might have to turn in my "guy card".

My sofa faces the front window, because I have my birdfeeders and my "nature spot" in the front yard in front of the window. The TV is sort of off to the side and out of the way.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

you make it so the playstation controller can reach him with out dragging the unit into the middle of the floor heehe..
Exactly.

If you want to arrange furniture like a man the first thing you need to do is visit a construction site...after dark. Things like cinder blocks and boards (2"x12" or 2"x14") are universal building materials for things like coffee tables, benches, end tables, dining room tables, entertainment centers, etc.

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My DH is gone (he left us last month-LONG story) and so are his 3 tv's.....sweet...NO longer do I have to worry about arranging things for a man or like a man....

not the best situation he has me in with 2 human babies, but hey I gotta laugh a little, eh?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Exactly.

If you want to arrange furniture like a man the first thing you need to do is visit a construction site...after dark. Things like cinder blocks and boards (2"x12" or 2"x14") are universal building materials for things like coffee tables, benches, end tables, dining room tables, entertainment centers, etc.
lol almost sounds like my aparament in college.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HEY! I have to interject here....I made a "coffee table" in my bedroom out of two cement blocks & a piece of plywood!
I am a girl!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I installed my own kitchen cabinets, made all of my planters in my roof top garden, and much more........I am a super chick!
Second of all it sounds like it was a mans way of saying arrange the furniture for his own benefit, how he would like it, and some how trying to make it sound more masculine even though he wasn't moving the furniture!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our endtables is the 2 blue milk crates (stacked) that I've had since college. I use the top as a table, and they are stuffed full of my cds.
I keep meaning to get a "real" end table, but can't find one I like.