My horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day....

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so angry with myself right now. My husband and I were taking my parakeets (budgies) to my in-laws so the load on my mom would be lightened while we are away on a week-long trip to California (for business, but his boss is paying my way if you're remembering when I've complained about not having enough money). In case you're wondering, we live with and take care of my mom, and she's in charge of the animals while we're gone, but we've found a few pet sitters to lighten her load.

ANYWAY... so I was getting the cage out of the car. One of the doors slipped open because the twisty ties we put on them got chewed off during the car ride. One of my favorite budgies, Kiwi, flew out of the cage. I dove to try and catch him, but because they are flighted due to the fact that we have cats, he got away. I saw his shadow in the dark night sky.

I stood outside their house for a half hour calling for him and trying to find him. Occasionally, I'd hear his distinctive budgie noises and go in that direction, but I never could find him in the dark even with a flashlight. It killed me to be able to hear him and not see him.

We're setting out a cage tomorrow with some toys and food in the hopes he'll fly back to it and maybe hang out long enough for his parents to close the cage door and bring him inside with the rest. I'm not very optimistic, though... Light a candle or send some positive meditation vibes for for me if you're into that kind of thing.

Here he is being a contortionist but you can't tell very well what he's doing... his head is under his foot.

Stormy and Kiwi having a chat.

A budgie conference, with Kiwi at the helm. Notice the little eavesdropper on the left.

To make things worse.... to prevent him from getting out, I hurt my knee somehow. The pain was really intense so I went to the Promptcare... they said it was probably a torn meniscus. And I'm about to leave for a vacation to California and now I have to walk on beaches with a bum knee and be sore the whole time because I am not going to let it stop me from doing what I want to do. I was so excited for this trip, and this has really put a damper on the whole thing.

It was such a horrible evening... I know nothing all that bad happened, but I'm still in a funk.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a horrible thing to happen, and just as you are going on vacation. But don't beat up on yourself - these things do happen and we cannot always prevent them. Try not to dwell on it all too much - and maybe Kiwi will come back.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh god, what a nightmare!
If you can, put out 2 cages - one open with his favourite foods in, and another next to it with his best birdie friend in it. Birds are generally more likely to come to their 'mate' than to food. Often an escaped bird will stay put in the first tree it comes to, too scared to move, but the sight and sound of a friend may help.

He stands a far better chance of survival because he is fully-flighted, at least you know he's not going to get grounded and be easy prey.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Oh god, what a nightmare!
If you can, put out 2 cages - one open with his favourite foods in, and another next to it with his best birdie friend in it.
That is a great idea.

I have lit a candle and I am praying he comes back.

I had a friend a long ways back that had a budgie. Einstein would sit on his shoulder as he walked around the house. One time he was cleaning and went on the back porch to put the garbage in the can and he forgot that Einstein was on his shoulder. He flew off. We spent hours calling that bird.

He left the cage outside overnight but no Einstein. The next day I got home from work and as I was walking in I heard him. I walked over and he was in his cage. I creeped up on the back porch and slowly closed the cage door.

My friend was so happy. It can happen that they come back.

Keep your hopes up

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you got a cane or some crutches? You don't want to hurt that knee any more.

I hope your bird returns... you must be really worried

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I'm so sorry. That's just terrible and it all happened all at once. It must have been so frustrating to hear him so close by and not be able to catch him. Everyone has given great advice. I hope you are able to get him to come home.