Nutritional Rule- Orange Juice?

muti_pass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten of maybe 3 months started drinking my orange juice. I keep pushing him away but is it really bad for him? I didn't know cats liked orange juice.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a new one on me! If I have anything citrus my cats will sniff and then back away rapidly with their eyes closed and nostrils flared! It's quite acidic, my instinct says not to let him have much, but I really don't know for sure.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got up to go to the kitchen once and left a little bowl of pineapple on the end table and when I came back in, Riley was chowing down on it! I wouldn't think citrus would be too good for them, because of the acidity.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't hurt him
Charlie likes banana or strawberry fruit juices
Actually being more acidic is better for males to dissolve crystals
That's why you can give them tomatos

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I got up to go to the kitchen once and left a little bowl of pineapple on the end table and when I came back in, Riley was chowing down on it! I wouldn't think citrus would be too good for them, because of the acidity.
Roxie is a pineapple stealer too.. She will eat anything out of a fruit cocktail but refuses steak or chicken most times

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxie225

Roxie is a pineapple stealer too.. She will eat anything out of a fruit cocktail but refuses steak or chicken most times
perhaps you have a vegetarian cat!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex-MIL (RIP) once squeezed fresh oranges in my kitchen. She had very poor eyesight and got OJ everywhere. Oliver licked the cabinets. Of course I cleaned it up, but to this day (7 years later), he still licks my cabinets, I guess in hopes of finding more OJ!

Muti_Pass, I wouldn't give your kitten too much. There is a lot of sugar in it.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere (having one who was fond of KETCHUP!) that citric acid actually makes their urine LESS acidic and is BAD for them.

Heck, if it worked, it'd be a MUCH cheaper additive than d,l-methionine, for acidifying urine!