Cat reacted violently to pregnant woman

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something scary and strange happened tonight. I live in my parents' guest house. While I was in the main house, my pregnant aunt came over to my place to use the scale to weigh herself. We then get a frantic call from my aunt b/c she was cornered in my bedroom and couldn't get out. My cat, Sidney, had swiped at her and backed her into my room and was standing outside growling threateningly at her.

My mom went over to see what was going on and then came back to tell me. I laughed and thought they were joking b/c I had never seen this behavior from Sid, not with anyone or our dog. In fact, I call Sid a scaredy cat for a reason.

So I went back to my place and saw her croched down, angry and growling. Even when I went up to her, she growled at me.

Do you have any idea what could have happened to her? Plenty of people come into my living area, people she's never met before, and she's never done this. By the way she was acting, I almost thought she was rabid, except that I had taken her to get her shots this weekend. She's now back to normal, but I wish I knew what came over her.
Any thoughts?

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's really hard to say... she could have been scared by anything. An unusual sound, or smell, maybe related to your aunt or maybe not. Maybe her tail got stepped on. Or maybe something fell onto or near the cat and frightened her. Maybe there was a small earthquake and the cat felt it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, a pattern of that behavior develops or something appears to be wrong with the cat's health. It's most likely a one-time incident.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any possibility that the cat would have been treated negatively by your aunt? Not saying that your aunt abused her in any way, but she may not be a cat person and might have hissed, or growled, or benignly shooed her away with a broom or something of that nature that wouldn't cause harm to the cat but would have given her a reason to "fear" your aunt. It sounds like the cat was afraid for some reason..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed, it could be a different smell or perfume your aunt was wearing, or something spooked the cat and caused the reaction.

I would not worry about it unless the cat reacts to your aunt in the same way again - then try to figure out what may be causing it.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday reacts that way to all our company. I've given up trying to figure out why. My cat is undoubtedly strange. Your cat, on the other paw, probably just smelled something amiss to her. I agree with the others who said they wouldn't worry too much about it. Also, don't leave your poor aunt alone with your cat again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

Also, don't leave your poor aunt alone with your cat again!
My poor aunt indeed. After a two week scare while she was waiting for the test results, fearing that her baby might have Downs Syndrome (confirmed today that he doesnt), then last night being chased and held captive in my bedroom by my cat...

emmylou, from what my aunt said, Sid jumped down from laying on the back rest of the sofa where she always lays, and started coming at her. My aunt has been in my place before, and she's never done anything to Sid. My area of the house is separate from the main house, so my aunt is never in my place without my being present, except last night when she came over briefly to use the scale. I know she's never done anything to hurt or frighten Sid. She did say that she came in quietly, took her her shoes (an asian thing), then slowly crept around looking for the scale. Maybe Sid thought she was stealing or had some bad intentions.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe Sid can smell the hormonal change in my aunt, and since she's never been exposed, something about the smell brought out this really negative reaction. Normally, Sid is very mellow, too lazy to show interest in anyone else except me. I've had Sid since she was a baby, so no abuse in her history. Just spoiled rotten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Is there any possibility that the cat would have been treated negatively by your aunt? Not saying that your aunt abused her in any way, but she may not be a cat person and might have hissed, or growled, or benignly shooed her away with a broom or something of that nature that wouldn't cause harm to the cat but would have given her a reason to "fear" your aunt. It sounds like the cat was afraid for some reason..
My aunt hasnt had a lot of contact with Sid, and the few times that she has seen her, she's pet her and complimented on how pretty Sid is. But for some reason, this time, Sid was frighten or offended by her.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been with your aunt all the other times? Perhaps the cat was actually protecting the house from intruders, or.. perhaps she doesn't think it's okay for anyone to be in the house with out you there. Or, if itw as dark and your aunt was moving silently around, she really may have startled Sid.

joe poppers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she likes cats? Not just your cat particularly, but all cats?
Alot of people just do not care/like cats and cats do have a tendency of picking up on the 'I dont like cats' vibe/energy of the people who don't. Just a thought, or it could have been anything really.

My cat is the nicest, mellowest cat ever! He gets *beat* up by my old cat and never does anything to defense himself, I never heard him growling or hissing at people, or strangers, usually when there are stranges, he either hides or he rubbs on their legs lol

BUT, one day, when we had our house for sale, this guy came to see the house and as he walked by the yard, my cat croched down, started growling and hissing and his ears were back as far as they could on his head and man, I swear, I never saw a cat looking that angry! I could not believe that was Joe Poppers! lol and he guy ( this was a 200 lbs man, was actually scare of the cat and yelled at us to come get the cat before he jumped at him) and our cat is the sweetest, cutest, love everyone everybody sort of cat.

So yeah, it happens. I think this man just didn't like cats or he did something to Joe as he walked by ( probbly kicked him or something, who knows)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You had mentioned your aunt was having testing done, possible down syndrome? Some animals are extremely sensitive to stress and/or ailment of others, maybe your kitty felt extreme anxiety and also your aunt smelled different, she was scared by this and reacted defensively..............