Has anyone here had weight loss surgery... or considered it?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not yet ready to give up trying to lose weight on my own -- but if I can't lose enough to get my diabetes under better control soon, I'm afraid I may need to consider surgery.

In addition to the various medical risks involved, there's also the issue of going into debt for at least four or five years to pay for it (I have no insurance, and probably couldn't get any in my present condition).

I've been looking into the Lap-Band and Sleeve Gastrectomy procedures, both of which can be done laparoscopically, usually as day surgery. Apparently, the latter is primarily considered an initial step for high-risk patients who need to lose enough weight to safely go on and have the more complicated Roux-en-Y procedure later -- but since I'm only just overweight enough to qualify to have surgery at all, I think Sleeve Gastrectomy would probably be enough to solve my problem. I don't believe I would need that more extreme operation.

So... I'd really love some input on weight loss surgeries, pro and con. Any opinions?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First find a naturepathic dr .... you may not need surgery

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i once thought about it,Lap-Band anyway. If i was still over weight with my back now, i would have no choice.

I know that this type of operation seems to be all the rage now. But i do know 2 people that after alot of weight lose due to the full bypass. They put most of it back on. These these types of operations will only help short term unless we change are eating habits. Changing those habits is the MOST important thing for you to do. The operation step is not the real long term answer.

before i lost the weight i was taking actos 45 mg,glimepiride 4 mg and hmm one other i cant think of right now. now i only need take something if i get dumb and something looks reaaly good!!! hhee.

you know as well as i do that diabetes will KILL you. If you feel you cant lose weight, just with diet then i would say going in debt would be worth it. But like i told you along time ago, if you can get moving, chair dance, go swimming(less stress on your joints etc ) these will help. Sure i know going swimming at the gym or where ever is hard when your fat(i was 350 +) when people look at you etc,, but your going for you.. Who cares what they say or think.

do what you have to to get your diabetes under control

i used to think one think, who was going to take care if heyu if died?, the answer was no one.
so kinda felt i had to get things undercontrol so my cat would have a home, maybe that sounds dumb, but i would think about that.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of my Daughters that I have know for over 25 years she is actually my hairdresser, had it done she lost about 250 pounds she was over 400 all her life a big person, I personally think she lost part of herself in the process shes just not the same her personality has changed so much and she just doesn't look good at all to me. I think she was so excited to get it done and she did very well but it just changed her so much. I think some people think it is going to change there whole life there whole person and I don't think its true in every case, but I don't think beings that she was so big for so many years that she could have done it without the surgery. But I think it helps allot of people also.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I echo some of what theimp said. Over the past 4 or so months I have chatted with severeal people that either had gastric bypass or the lap band procedure done and one complaint I heard was not learning how to eat correctly after the surgery. And a large percentage gain the weight back. So thats one thing I would suggest if you decide to do the surgery is learn about proper eatting so that after the surgery is done and you have lost the weight you won't gain it back because you know how to eat properly.

If you don't mind me asking so far what have you tried to help you lose the weight?

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the girls that I work with had gastric bypass surgery done 3 years ago. She has lost 160 pounds since the surgery but would be the first to say it is not the quick fix everyone expects.
First of all the procedure itself can cause serious issues if you are not in the best of health to begin with. The first six months after her surgery were not pleasant she had several problem with her digestion and fatigue issue from not getting enough nutrients...Those she overcome by learning more nutritional eating habits.
That is one of the main reasons why it sometimes doesn't work the type of food you consume afterwards, you can't eat a whole lot but that doesn't mean you not taking in a lot of calories depending on what you eat. So you do have to learn proper eating habits.

She has sense also had surgery to remove excess skin around her mid-section, and arms.

As far as the expense she incurred. If your health is at risk because of your weight as her's was here Health Canada will pay for it. However any cosmetic procedures like the tummy tuck and her arms she paid for herself which was quite expensive.

I think if she had the choice to make again she would do it over because she has been very happy with the results..

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Bruce...if its something that will help control your diabetes and diet control isn't working, then by all means do it.

the reality of weight loss surgery is that you will have stretch marks from your skin. You wil start to see weight loss right away, but you have to keep exercising to tighten up the skin (otherwise you will have skin that just hangs loose on your muscle and bones).

Expect to have to take pills on a daily basis. One girl I knew who had it done had to take 4-5 pills a day.

Remember too that once you do this, your eyes will be bigger than your stomach (really). Just remember to order and eat smaller portions (opt for a happy meal insted of supersizing).

Good luck with your decision.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First of all, I am so glad to hear that you are doing research on this and getting input before just jumping in. I think a lot of people just throw up their hands and get it because they don't know anything about it and think it's a quick fix. I personally know 4 people who have had the surgery. Here are some things you should know.

1. It is VERY difficult. You have to change your whole life because you can only eat about 4 ounces of food per meal. While you're recovering, you have a very limited diet that you have to follow or you can get sick and throw up a lot of what you eat. If you take medicines, they do not absorb into your body like they did before the surgery, you actually get less.

2. Even if the surgery is permanent (there are some reversible procedures), it does not give permanent results. They shrink your stomach to about 4 ounces, but over time it slowly stretches back out. Just like people overeat now, their stomachs gradually stretch out. So will a gastric patient's. Just look at Randy Jackson and Al Roker. They both gained weight back, and everyone I know has gained weight back.

3. You will still see yourself as fat. Everyone I know that has had this surgery still looks in the mirror and sees a fat person. Even though you're doing it to get healthy and avoid health problems, all of us who are overweight see the physical benefits more than the health benefits sometimes. You lose weight so quickly with a gastric that you don't have time to adjust to the changes in your body, which leads me to point 4.

4. You will never be the same person again. A close friend of mine got the surgery and she is a completely different person than she used to be. I don't mean in a good way either. Your hormones go all crazy because you drop weight so fast.

I really don't think it is worth all of the pain and difficulties. And no matter what, NOTHING is worth going into debt like that. I am one of those people too who has tried so many different diets, but I have one that may work for you, and you don't even have to exercise right now. It's called Somersizing and it was developed by Suzanne Somers. Please check it out, it is a satisfying plan and easy to follow. She has written books and after checking it out you won't believe what you're allowed to eat. I would just give it a try, read the books (Eat Great, Lose Weight is one), and especially since you're just barely eligible for the gastric, just try one more thing before trying surgery. Keep us posted!

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never had it and although I could stand to lose some weight I have never considered it. I don't really know much about it so I can't really say too much... But I can tell you my mother had it. I can also tell you that she is currently fighting for her life as a result of it. The band slipped... her stomach became disconnected from her esophagus and she almost died. It took them 30 YEARS to find out what was wrong! So for that 30 years everything she ate, everything she drank went straight to her stomach cavity... not her belly. Her body was almost completely depleted of the vitamins and minerals that keep us all healthy. When she was FINALLY diagnosed and hospitalized she weighed 81 pounds and was near death. Her lungs started to fill with fluid. She developed fluid on her heart... suffered two heart attacks... Now she is out of the hospital but is hooked up to feeding tubes and medications via IV until her body is strong enough to perform the surgery she needs to save her life. Although things look better for her now than they did 4 months ago, there's still a chance she may not be able to have the surgery to reconnect her stomach in which case she will die.
If you or anyone is considering this surgery, I would seriously look into and at least try all other options first. Talk openly with your doctor, maybe even get some counseling first... Don't do it because someone else thinks you have a weight problem... WHO CARES WHAT ANYONE THINKS!!! If you do it, do it for yourself because you're the one who's going to suffer if it goes bad.
On a lighter note... I have a friend who weighed over 500 pounds. Was diabetic as a result of her weight. She had the surgery... now weighs about 170 and is no longer diabetic!!! So it can be a good thing... you just have to be really careful and really really really screen your surgeon!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my BIL's has had the surgery TWICE.
The first time he lost about maybe 70 pounds but slowly gained it back. He had stomach banding the first time The second surgery (not covered by insurance) he ended up having some complications with another week in the hospital. He lost maybe 80 pounds but once again gaining it back. He is know in his early 60's and I'm sure not eligible for the surgery again.
His problem is he is a life long bachelor and never learned how to cook or eat right.
He was going to the Y to swim (knee problems) but is still not active enough and watches alot of TV. He has a weakness for sweets and while he cannot eat alot at one time he is eating all day long.

I think the best thing to consider is the support you will get after surgery. Some hospitals by me offer work with a physical trainer and free gym membership which I think is real important. I think a support group is important too.

Personally if I had to have the surgery the second time like my BIL did with about $40,000 out of pocket I would have the motivation to lose the weight and keep it off.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't going to reply to this until later... but I'm getting such
files at work I need a break

I've known a few people who have gone through this surgery with mixed results. I'm not a fan of it, but I think thats because it is only treating a symptom and not the underlying problem - overeating and insulin sensitivity.

I probably have mentioned my diet before... I don't know. I know I've said a few things in passing, but I try not to go on about it because I tend to get flamed for it. But after watching many documentaries on weight loss surgery I've noticed what they tell people to eat after the surgery is exactly what I eat now, they just call it something different.. so :p to them
My point is, why not skip the middle man...

So ok, I'm a low carber.

I have lost, at this point, about 40lbs and DH has lost well over 100 (I didn't have as much to lose which is why my weight loss is not nearly as impressive). We both came from families with a history of obesity, diabetes, migraines, PCOS, hypothyroidism, cancer, you name it. It got to the point when I found out my entire medical history I called up my mom and said "well thank you very much! With these genes I was cursed before I was even born!"

The point is, I started on this way of eating 3-4 years ago and ever since I have NONE of the symptoms that the rest of my family has. I am at my lowest weight in probably more than a decade, my cholesterol levels are fantastic, my bloodwork is awesome. The only lingering problem I have is the hypothyroidism and thats a disease of heredity... so I can't cure that.

The problem is no one likes to hear about low carbing because the media made everyone believe that low carbers sit down to a nice big bowl of lard every morning. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I eat much like many people eat... except I don't have bread, pasta, potatoes, wheat and sugar - pretty much all the things in processed foods. I eat meat and veggies. I'll have some chicken (with the skin.. tastier that way
) and some broccoli... or some porkchops and sauerkraut... or steak and green beans... see? It's just real food. (I should also note that I personally stay away from dairy, but thats not a LC thing, that's an allergy thing)

Now, why does this work? Because these are the foods we evolved on. When we were hunting and gathering we weren't gathering twinkies
We also weren't hunting low fat processed foods. We were hunting animals and gathering veggies. These are foods that keep your blood sugar stable and increase your insulin sensitivity (a GREAT thing!) I know people who have had PCOS and went on to have children because of this diet (an insulin based disease)... I know people who have completely gone off their diabetes medication because their blood sugars finally stabilized because of this way of eating... and the amount of weight I have seen people lose? Hundreds of pounds.

Sure, people look at me nuts when I go to a restaurant and tell them no bread, but whatever... with the results I have had personally, I am not changing over any time soon.

Now I tell you all this not to preach, as I am sure that's probably the way it came off. Instead, I just want you to know there are other options out there... ones that work! I too was the 'no diet works for me' type. I can't tell you how many I had been on... and none of them worked for me because they were all limiting fat (which is what keeps you full!) and having free reign on carbs/sugar.. which raises your blood sugar, and then you have a blood sugar crash, and viola you're voracious again!

Ok I'm babbling. All I'm trying to say is surgery is so darn drastic, please consider other options before running for the knife. If you want more info about LCing, check out one of my favorite doc's blogs at http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ or pm me and I can give you a slew of other info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Just after I posted this thread, my life suddenly got complicated for a few days, and this is the first chance I've had to dig through and find it again. Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies! I really appreciate your input.

Sharky, naturopathic methods are something I haven't investigated yet. I will look into that, thank you.

Bruce, you're absolutely right, I know -- it's all about how you eat, and the two surgeries that I'm thinking about are purely restrictive in nature; they don't inhibit absorption. So in theory, if I can consistently eat as if I've already had the surgery, I can achieve the same result without the surgery.

But I know myself, and I just don't think I can do it. In my defense, apparently almost no one can. But I can certainly make changes in that direction and hope it will put me on track to lose enough weight in a reasonable time to get my health under control. I do feel I can change my habits -- I just don't know if I can change them enough.

Thinking of the cats is a wonderful idea! And of my parents, too... they really need me around. Thank you for that thought.

Halfpint, yes, I understand that there are some serious psychological changes that also happen. Personally, I suspect that the reason I gained the weight in the first place was to ensure that I would not have to make any decisions about relationships -- I just wouldn't have one.
But now, at 51, I think I'm emotionally stable enough not to make stupid choices in that area, so maybe I can risk being attractive again, y'know?

Tierre0, thank you for sharing your friend's experience. At the seminar I went to the other night, someone asked whether it would be necessary to have a second surgery to remove excess skin, and the doctor said, "That depends on how you're made and how much weight you lose -- some people want to do that, some don't. But really, it's usually not a matter of needing to. How many of us look good naked, anyway?"

Lunasmom, you're right -- as I understand it, with an actual gastric bypass like the Roux-en-Y procedure, absorption is inhibited and you do have to take supplements or you can get into some serious trouble. But I can't even think about that procedure -- since I have no insurance, I'll be financing this, and a true bypass is out of reach.

Greenvillegal, thank you so much for sharing what you've learned from your friends! And yes, I know that if you eat more than you should or drink carbonated beverages, you do stretch your stomach out again. Luckily, I only drink Coke at the movies, so that's easy to give up. As for seeing myself as fat... heck, I thought I was fat when I was a 92-pound rail, too!
I wouldn't even think of doing this if it was just about appearance -- I'm concerned about my life.

Your point about hormones is one I haven't heard before -- unless you mean that some people become "hypersexual," as the doctor put it. I'm really not worried about that, though -- even when I was slim and cute and a veritable churning cauldron of desire, I've never been the least bit promiscuous. As my best friend/former significant other told me when he finally got me to go out with him, "You're a hard sell, y'know that?"

The trouble with me and diets is more me than the diet. I actually know how to eat, intellectually: lots of vegetables, some fruit, some nuts, very few grains, very little dairy. (I'm a lifelong vegetarian, so that makes the standard diabetic low-carb diet impossible.) The trouble is doing it, and doing it consistently. But you're right, I do intend to give it one more very serious try before proceeding with anything drastic.

MadAbout Rags, that is one horrifying story! I can't imagine how anyone could survive 30 years if her esophagus was really entirely disconnected from her stomach... or how doctors could fail to catch it all that time... that's just bizarre! But yes, lapbands can slip and erode, and the doctor at the seminar said that if you throw up immediately after eating, you have to suspect that's happened and go to the ER immediately.

GailC, that's one thing about this particular doctor and his clinic (which is attached to an excellent hospital with a special cardiac wing) -- their price for the lapband surgery includes all the followups, all the band fills, everything you should need for the rest of your life. They have a free support group with programs arranged by their staff (not just a room to meet in), and the hospital itself has a fee-based fitness program with physical therapists and nutritionists. So I would feel very well-supported there. The cost is $15,000, which is higher than some places, but not by much. I feel very good about this doctor, though I am investigating others, just to be sure.

MuttigreeMom, you can preach to me anytime! I know that what you're saying is absolutely valid -- low-carb is exactly what I need to do, and I'm trying to move in that direction even as we speak. It's more difficult for me since I'm a vegetarian... but it's what works. And I will give it a chance to work before I go under the knife, I promise!

Again, I can't thank you all enough for the time and thought you've put into your replies -- I feel much better educated on this now. As things progress, I hope you won't mind if I come back to you with questions -- I really want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. You guys are the greatest!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Bruce, you're absolutely right, I know -- it's all about how you eat, and the two surgeries that I'm thinking about are purely restrictive in nature; they don't inhibit absorption. So in theory, if I can consistently eat as if I've already had the surgery, I can achieve the same result without the surgery.

But I know myself, and I just don't think I can do it. In my defense, apparently almost no one can. But I can certainly make changes in that direction and hope it will put me on track to lose enough weight in a reasonable time to get my health under control. I do feel I can change my habits -- I just don't know if I can change them enough.

Thinking of the cats is a wonderful idea! And of my parents, too... they really need me around. Thank you for that thought.
This is it exactly. The surgery just forces you to do the things you know are right to do (ie, eat less, choose better foods for your limited calories), the problem is a lot of people aren't emotionally ready to lose the weight. They haven't dealt with their other issues (food as friend, comfort, etc). I am nowhere near done losing weight, but I was once a candidate for surgery.

I couldn't really lose any weight until I believed I could do it. I would suggest a book called "thin for life" by anne fletcher. I found it extremely inspirational and when I feel myself slipping I read it again (I've read it about 20 times now
).

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JellyBella, thank you for that book recommendation -- I'll see about that. Staying motivated is one of my biggest problems, so that might help.

And Ping, I just realized I missed your post! In answer to your question about what I've tried so far:

1. Exercise -- I could never do enough to offset my evil high-carb eating habits, and now I'm concerned enough about potential heart issues that I'm afraid to exercise too strenuously.

2. Low-fat diet -- I managed to become sufficiently obsessive about this that for a week or two, I was eating no more than 20 grams of fat per day, and for a few days, I had NO fat at all. This resulted in a near-complete cessation of the digestive process. I learned that fat is vitally important!

3. Low-carb diet -- I simply couldn't stick to it consistently enough, because I do eat for emotional reasons, and I have a whole blasted lot of emotion!
But this is the major change I have to rededicate myself to, or the diabetes will surely kill me sooner rather than later.

4. Phentermine -- not Phen-Fen, but just the phentermine alone, for two three-month periods back in the mid-'90s. I did lose weight, but of course, I gained it back when I stopped the medication... as everyone does.

5. Hypnosis -- I went through several months of hypnotherapy last year, and it did help me make some excellent changes in my life... but weightloss was not among them.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
carol, Weight loss can take a long time, The need to change your habits is the most important. Really, i had to learn to eat
scary thinking as a adult we need to learn to eat. but we do.

We did not get overweight in one day, and we wont lose in day. There are many up and down in the process.

lol like right now, i am eating nuts and some fruit, how i would much perfter to be eatting a whopper and onion rings eheh.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

MuttigreeMom, you can preach to me anytime! I know that what you're saying is absolutely valid -- low-carb is exactly what I need to do, and I'm trying to move in that direction even as we speak. It's more difficult for me since I'm a vegetarian... but it's what works. And I will give it a chance to work before I go under the knife, I promise!
Oops! I forgot you were a vegetarian

Well the good news is, low carbing is actually really easy for a vegetarian... actually this is a forum just for low carb vegetarians
Maybe that will give you some ideas.

3. Low-carb diet -- I simply couldn't stick to it consistently enough, because I do eat for emotional reasons, and I have a whole blasted lot of emotion!
But this is the major change I have to rededicate myself to, or the diabetes will surely kill me sooner rather than later.
Oh I totally understand this one!
What I've learned is if I need to eat emotionaly (and boy do I!) you just treat yourself with things that you can eat. I'll make myself almond cookies or macaroons... both of which are totally LC friendly if you make them with splenda. There are some awesome recipes out there. And if you do fall off the wagon (with any diet...) just remember you didn't totally blow it. Just start fresh the next day. The line from start weight to goal weight is never a straight one. You just gotta keep on keepin' on

Lots of luck for you!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

lol like right now, i am eating nuts and some fruit, how i would much perfter to be eatting a whopper and onion rings eheh.
Nuts and fruit sounds great to me! One of my favorite things is Granny Smith apple slices dipped in Smucker's natural peanut butter, and I've noticed I feel better on days when I have that for breakfast. Maybe that's the trick -- to establish one new habit at a time...

Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Oh I totally understand this one!
What I've learned is if I need to eat emotionaly (and boy do I!) you just treat yourself with things that you can eat. I'll make myself almond cookies or macaroons... both of which are totally LC friendly if you make them with splenda. There are some awesome recipes out there. And if you do fall off the wagon (with any diet...) just remember you didn't totally blow it. Just start fresh the next day. The line from start weight to goal weight is never a straight one. You just gotta keep on keepin' on
Thank you so much for that link -- it looks like a very good resource for me! And your almond cookies and macaroons sound awfully good, too -- can I talk you out of the recipes?

That's one of my problems, I think -- I'm so in love with the way my mom cooks that I've resisted learning to like anything new. But my mom's cooking is what got me here!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't going to comment since my main contribution would be that I've thought of it (for a nano second) and realized that surgery is not the way to go for me, ever.

I've had one friend who had this done (and later needed it redone within a year, and asked for/got a more extensive revision) and she had various issues with it, though she lost a lot of weight and said she was very happy with it.

MuttigreeMom - you are talking my language, I'm back to Low Carbing after a 6 month fall, and so very happy to be! I do a more severe version than you in that I do not use any artificial sweeteners, but have lots of great recipes.
Carol, I have several that would fit a vegetarian lifestyle.

Best wishes to you, this is a very important decision.

ps I also highly recommend this book - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316099066&tag=&tag=thecatsite

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know anyone who's ever had it unfortunately. But, have you tried switching your eating habits one at a time? I know it takes an awful lot of motivation but once you start seeing the loss, the motivation suddenly comes on in leaps and bounds!
I put on a lot of weight over a couple of years, and I never bothered doing anything about it as I said that I would never have the motivation to keep it up. But once I actually decided to give it a go, I ended up losing 55lb (I went from 198lb to 143lb), not to mention the fact that as your weight is a bit higher, you'll lose weight very quickly.
I know it's 1000x easier to say all of this than it is to actually do it, but take it from me (who once had 0 motivation), it does get progressively easier!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to consider a few things before you go in and do this:

1. What is your goal weight and is it realistic for your body size?

2. Are you going to be willing to find a nutritionist to help you throw out everything you shouldn't have and add in all the food that you should have?

3. Weight loss is far more of an emotional journey than a physical one. I know a few people who have lost the weight and kept it off, but still see the fat person in the mirror. You may need to seek out some therapy to help you thought that time period.

I support you in whatever you do, but just know this is a long road. I've lost over 100lbs, and I can remember the first day I decided to not live the life of a uncomfortable person anymore.