Why is my New Cat Hissing?

mystic2773

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A family was looking for a new home for their 4 year old cat. She is a whit long haired tabby with grey tabby markings on ears and tip of tail. They call her "Paris" When my husband and I went to meet her she came right to us and rolled over so we couild rub her belly and she gave us licks and kisses. the owner said she had never seen her do that for anyone. So we made the cut! She was ours to bring home and care for. I took all her stuff with us and put it in our spare room which has a few boxes piled in there but has enough room for all her things and litter box and bed and food and all are separated of course.
The first day she hid in her litter box. She ate some food that night. This is the end of the second day and she founf a hiding place among the boxes. Each time we go into the room and talk to her she hisses at us. Us the folks she came to and was all lovey dovey...now she hisses and growls a little.

We do hve a dog. they hve not been introduced yet but they do smell each other. In speaking to a couple of friends who are cat people they tell me the hissing is becasue she smells the dog and she will hiss if she thinks the dog is coming into the room. So I announce it is mommy or hubby says it's daddy coming. But she is still hissing. She has been playing with her toys a little becasue they are moved. When we turn out the light at night we still have a nite light in there so it isn't totaly dark. Hubby oopened the door onite and she was on the floor. So she does move around.

Can anyone tell me why she is hissing? I understand she feels very defensless and perhaps is wondering what she has done for her other family to send her away. Also I did find out that she was originally gotten as kitten by an elderly lady who dies when she was 2 years old. The woman was dead 3 days in the apt before she was found and they found Paris lying down beside her. That must have been very traumatic for her. Then a new home and now another new home 2 years later. I feel for the poor little thing and just wish she would come to me so I could cuddle her and make her feel more loved. I go into the room frequently and talk to her and tell her it is okay. This is her room and her things are here for her and that I love her and know how hard it is for her.

is there anything else I could do to help her transition?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank,

Sherri

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's just nervous and unsettled in a new home. Cats become very attached to their territory and some find a move very upsetting. Everything smells strange to her, and the dog smell is probably part of it. I would recommend investing in a Feliway diffuser to help her relax

And welcome to TCS!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystic2773

I go into the room frequently and talk to her and tell her it is okay. This is her room and her things are here for her and that I love her and know how hard it is for her.
Hi Sherri,

You are doing fine.
Keep it up.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sad past your kitty has had. You're doing all the right things. Cats are very sensitive to moves and to smells. Keep doing what you're doing and give her some time and she'll probably be just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystic2773

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advise and reassurance. I will look fo the Feliway spray and diffuser.
Question: Does anyone think it might help to get a kitten as a companion for her? I know really stupid idea right? I just thought an animal of her own kind might help and little kittens can adapt to anything quicker than a adult cat.
Can anyone give me some advise on this idea? I am stupid? or might it work?

Thanks and hae a great evening everyone!!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystic2773

Question: Does anyone think it might help to get a kitten as a companion for her? I know really stupid idea right? I just thought an animal of her own kind might help and little kittens can adapt to anything quicker than a adult cat.
Can anyone give me some advise on this idea? I am stupid? or might it work?
It is better to wait until Paris has adjusted to her new home before thinking of adding another cat. Although based on your info she sounds like a cat who has been a single pet all her life. So making another change to what she's used to may cause further stress.