Little orphans now 4 weeks * pics and a question ! *

meow me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Born in Sao Paulo, Brazil, living in Miami, FL for
Hello again!
I just wanted to post the new pics and let you know how they are doing..
They are now Zoe and Yumi , growing up fast and recovering from the sneezing with antibiotics.
Here we go ...
This is Zoe, the one that was the bigger of the litter, a quiet type, goes back to the crate when she gets tired and plays alone with her stuffed toy. Doesn't purr much, eats a lot!

And here's Yumi, the player, can't stand still if she has company... purrs all the time and is definetely a lapcat:

Now a question... Vet told me to start weaning from the bottle, and he gave me A/D, the mushy kind of food. They just don't eat it, and the mess is sooo big for the intake. So I got them Iams Kitten very moist with formula, and give it to them piece by piece to the mouth. There is no way they can get it from the small can cap or anyway else. I also think they are not " upgrading" ... they only suck the food, I don't see any evolution in the chewing direction. Any ideas? This has been going for 4 days , so maybe it's not a long time anyway.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very pretty kittens! My foster kittens that I bottle fed didnt wean totally off the bottle till they were 10 weeks old. I just let them do it on their own and they slowly stopped. Well Jersey still asks for it every couple of days and I sneak him some. They are only 4 weeks old my babies didnt start eating wet food till the end of their 5th week. So I would wait another week and see if they will take it after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meow me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Fostermomm !
Yes, I guess I shouldn't hurry them... They are my first kittens this small, I never had to wean my other cats. These babies were found in a friends frontyard, orphans and about 8 to 10 days old. I adopted them right away, and I found this website for my great relief !All questions I had were answered by you experts, and now I can share my experience with others who are facing the same as I am.
Sometimes they don't seem to want the bottle either, Zoe even gets frustrated with it and only chews the nipple. I guess the moist pieces of Iams are filling them well though, at the end they take less milk and are pooping ,peeing and sleeping normal for their age. And litterbox training was a breeze for them, they go after every feeding and I had no accidents so far ! ;-)
Will post newer pics soon !!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think that 5 or 6 weeks is a better time for weaning. My kittens started eating mom's food whenever they felt like it. But not as early as 4 weeks.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when i had to wean monster i started at 5 weeks, and i figured it would take a while before he was completely weaned. he also did the sucky thing with the food the vet gave me, so i decided to do it my own way. what i did was, i mushed up kitten chow with the formula, and at first i would feed it from my finger. rub it on their mouth a little and theyll lick their lips, and then be like ohh thats yummy. also, are they lapping from a bowl yet? once monster started learning to lap was when i started introducing solids. when the learn to lick off of your finger just redirect them by letting them follow your finger to the bowl. monster caught on pretty quickly although he wouldnt eat much at first. when he would stop eating the mush, thats when i would put a small bowl of formula down for him... theyll begin to eat more of the mush and less of the formula and it only took monster a week and a half to be weaned. just keep adjusting the amount of formula to make it less mushy.. and start giving them peices dry, so they can get used to the crunchiness. thats great that they are litter trained now. i started monster on the box at 4 weeks, once i realized he could go on his own.

and by the way they are just tooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!<333

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meow me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, now I am thinking...
I also have Theodora, my 5 year old tabby, who is curious about the kitties but doesn't get too close yet.
Do you think the kitties might learn to eat from her? They too don't get close, maybe they didn't realize yet she is also a cat !
I could try to have them around when she is having her meals...

Originally Posted by kluchetta

I would think that 5 or 6 weeks is a better time for weaning. My kittens started eating mom's food whenever they felt like it. But not as early as 4 weeks.