How do you clean your balls?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol sorry for the title, couldn't help myself *hides from the mods*. Well my cordless optical mouse decided to have a fit a couple of days ago. Changed batteries, rebooted computer, did all the connecty stuff and nothing. So i dug up one of my old mice and now i remember why i hate it. Havnig to take the ball out and use tweezers or a nail file to push all the gunk off the rollers. And i have to do this once a week at least as it gets a bit dirty/dusty on the desk. It's so annoying! And the feet get cruddy too.

How do you guys clean them? I miss my optical squeeker

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Lol sorry for the title, couldn't help myself *hides from the mods*. Well my cordless optical mouse decided to have a fit a couple of days ago. Changed batteries, rebooted computer, did all the connecty stuff and nothing. So i dug up one of my old mice and now i remember why i hate it. Havnig to take the ball out and use tweezers or a nail file to push all the gunk off the rollers. And i have to do this once a week at least as it gets a bit dirty/dusty on the desk. It's so annoying! And the feet get cruddy too.

How do you guys clean them? I miss my optical squeeker

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a q-tip with alcohol on it... It does a great job of removing any residue that might be left after the gunk has been removed. Also makes it a little easier to get all the gunk... the higher percentage of alcohol the better

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I never had such issues before. I mean the ball would get dirty but usually it just rubbed off. Sometimes I just blow on it and the fur comes off.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MadAboutRags

I use a q-tip with alcohol on it... It does a great job of removing any residue that might be left after the gunk has been removed. Also makes it a little easier to get all the gunk... the higher percentage of alcohol the better

That's the best method from what I've encountered. Rubbing Alcohol (don't waste the vodka on this
) will dry quickly and not effect the mechanics within the mouse. The qtip also grabs a hold of what you need and you'll be done in no time

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MadAboutRags

that's what I did before I got an optical

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
The ball is fine. It's the rollers it sits on, it gathers up all the gunk and it sticks around the middle of the three rollers and they're so fiddly!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my mouse went bonkers on me the other day and I pulled out a really long hair from around the mouse.... GAIA!!!!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

The ball is fine. It's the rollers it sits on, it gathers up all the gunk and it sticks around the middle of the three rollers and they're so fiddly!
I got an extra pair of tweezers at the dollar store - it gets all the hair/dust and everything out really easily if you pick it out that way in the rollers. Sounds nasty- but works awesome!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Gutter Queen commends you on an excellent, attention getting thread title.

I haven't had to clean my mouse rollers since I stopped using a mouse pad and started using the top of the box my mom's syringes came in!