TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › A bit worried...litter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A bit worried...litter?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
A friend of mine from school who has a kitty said she heard on the news this weekend that clumping clay litter is very hazardous to both our kitties and us. She said there were 3 ingredients to watch out for in litter...sodium bentonite, quartz silica, and I don't remember the 3rd. Of course, litter containers don't list their ingredients. I have not heard this news, but found some info online this afteroon about it. Apparently the sodium bentonite expands and becomes "cement" inside cats if the litter gets inside them (ex. licking their paws) and the dust from litter can coat their lungs and cause respiratory probs in cats. The quartz silica is apparently a known carcinogen for both humans and cats. Has anyone else heard this most recent news? Should I be concerned? I use Tidy Cats Long Lasting Odor Control For Mulitple Cats. I'm not sure if it's clumping litter or not, it doesn't say it is on the bag. Anyone recommend an alternative type of litter?
post #2 of 21
I am finding success with feline pine clumping... it is lightwt , 5 bucks a month and covers odur s ./...
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
I've heard of that. Maybe I'll give it a try. Where do you buy yours? What is the consistency of the scoopable kind?

Also, is it safe to just switch to a different kind of litter? They don't need a gradual introduction to it do they?
post #4 of 21
SILICA dust is known to cause cancer AND, this is primarilly because it is lighter than air and once inhaled, will basically sit in your lungs and build up... I know this because, as an art student, I took ceramics and this was one of our biggest safety concerns. So, yes, long-term exposure to it will cause lung/breathing problems.

I would suggust using a particulate mask when dumping fresh clay-based litter into a box and even when scooping, especially if you have asthma or are prone to breathing problems.

I have been using corn-based litter (first World's Best Cat Litter and now, chicken layer granules/crumbles...basically chicken feed). I like the corn, it clumps fine, the chicken feed is CHEAP ($10 for 50#) and, I can flush it! It is a little larger granule size than most clumping litters, I think. But supposedly the purina "flock raiser" is finer (I'm trying to find it in my area).

Art
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourigrl View Post
A friend of mine from school who has a kitty said she heard on the news this weekend that clumping clay litter is very hazardous to both our kitties and us. She said there were 3 ingredients to watch out for in litter...sodium bentonite, quartz silica, and I don't remember the 3rd. Of course, litter containers don't list their ingredients. I have not heard this news, but found some info online this afteroon about it. Apparently the sodium bentonite expands and becomes "cement" inside cats if the litter gets inside them (ex. licking their paws) and the dust from litter can coat their lungs and cause respiratory probs in cats. The quartz silica is apparently a known carcinogen for both humans and cats. Has anyone else heard this most recent news? Should I be concerned? I use Tidy Cats Long Lasting Odor Control For Mulitple Cats. I'm not sure if it's clumping litter or not, it doesn't say it is on the bag. Anyone recommend an alternative type of litter?
I have heard this as well. I use World's Best Cat Litter which is listed as safe for cats and kittens right on the bag. Because it's just corn, I feel secure using it with my young kitten. It looks like all the litter made by Tidy Cats is clay-based...http://www.tidycats.com/getpage.aspx...&MenuItemID=51
post #6 of 21
I get it at petsmart
post #7 of 21
Basically any dust containing crystalline mineral particles can cause respiratory damage and potentially, cancer.

I am trying to wean Nate off using the clay litter he prefers, a) because it's dusty b) because it's non-clumping, and I prefer to see clumps as it makes it easier to check that they are both peeing ok, and c) because it's heavy and I can't deal with the litter trays with my joints if the litter is heavy.

I like litter made of small pine pellets. Has a natural and pleasant smell.
post #8 of 21
Is fresh step ok? It is the ONLY kind of litter samba will even think about using, and unless I want to be cleaning a litter box every couple hours, I can't put that kind in just one box(samba will only use a very clean litter box too.) So is it ok to use?

We are also in the process of trying fresh step cedar litter. Is that any better?

Manda

And sorry for asking hijacking the thread.
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
I think I'm going to switch, the only problem is that I live in a small town and none of the stores here carry Feline Pine. The nearest big towns are 1 1/2 hours away. I'll be going to one this weekend and I'm thinking about stopping by Petsmart and stocking up!
post #10 of 21
I switched from Tidy Scoop mainly because the fragrance triggered my DH's asthma. We now use World's Best Cat Litter, which is all natural, and it clumps very nicely. It is dusty, but not more so than the other stuff we were using, it's just a different color! I can always tell when my tortie has been in the litterbox because there'll be yellow litter dust on her eyebrows!

Stephanie
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourigrl View Post
I think I'm going to switch, the only problem is that I live in a small town and none of the stores here carry Feline Pine. The nearest big towns are 1 1/2 hours away.
FWIW, I'm using OHP pellet fuel that is available at many locations in Missouri. The pellets are larger than pine litter pellets, so some cats might not like it, but it's dirt-cheap.

edit: BTW, clay litter is not biodegradable. It's terrible for the environment.
post #12 of 21
I switched to Swheat Scoop. It is more expensive but it lasts longer for my brood. It also helps with the smell. Anyway, all my cats switched over with no problems. That is my 2 cents.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I am finding success with feline pine clumping... it is lightwt , 5 bucks a month and covers odur s ./...
Ooo, I switched to that stuff a while ago. It's really nice. Very light weight. Lasts a long time and smells awesome.

I switched cause I heard that the type of litter I was using could contribute to urinary tract infections. I was using the usual clumping litter, Tidy Cats, Arm and Hammer, whatever was on sale really.

But vets suggest the pine clumping litter and my cat seemed to love it. He liked to play in it at first but then realized it was for peeing in.
post #14 of 21
I found feline pine scoopable at Target $4.99 small box.
Nice oder. Really lasts longer, no smell.
post #15 of 21
I'm buying that pine pellet for my cat, cuz of 3 resons: 1) he eats any other litter (which is extremely dangerous); 2) all that chemical ones can cause cancer, asthma, and bunch of other unpleasant things; 3) chemical litter is not safe for nature, plus u cant flush it

pine rocks!
post #16 of 21
missourigirl- do you have any feed/supply stores in your area? I am using "layer crumbles/granules" which I get at my local feed store (50lb for $10). I have heard that "purina flock raiser" (unmedicated) is the best and has the finest consistency.

Art
post #17 of 21
I've been meaning to post about clumping litter for a while now, but never got around to it.
So, the feline litter DOES clump as well? I've been primarily using the Arm & Hammer clumping litter, which is clay, but if that Feline Pine litter clumps, maybe I'll give it a try...
post #18 of 21
My cats don't like the natural litters we've tried (swheat scoop, feline pine scoop, etc). Since I prefer them to think inside the box, we are sticking with what they like.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I am finding success with feline pine clumping... it is lightwt , 5 bucks a month and covers odur s ./...

I didn't get the clumping one though.
post #20 of 21
Is the Feline Pine Scoopable/Clumping (I've seen it called both, listed as both, and am confused as to whether or not they are the same thing) as "clumpable" as clay litter? Is it at least comparable? I like to scoop, so I want clumping litter. I use the regular Feline Pine for the ferret's litter box, and I think it's fantastic with odors, so that's not my concern. I prefer pellets for him, since he likes to play in clean litter, and I don't want him to ingest any of it. I just want to be able to scoop all the time and not leave tons of pee-soaked litter bits in the box.

They do sell the Feline Pine litter box for the regular pellet litter, which is interesting, but I'm just not convinced. Anyone use this contraption with the regular Feline Pine?
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenC511 View Post
They do sell the Feline Pine litter box for the regular pellet litter, which is interesting, but I'm just not convinced. Anyone use this contraption with the regular Feline Pine?
I've seen some comments about it on here lately. People seem to like it. I've got one in the mail right now, so I'll start using it next week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › A bit worried...litter?