Very Important!! Would You

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the shelter on your on mother? I decided to drive to TN to see my mother for the first time in a year yesterday. And I was absolutely disgusted at what I found a dog she got when I was 15 so skinny that her bones showed, and she used to be fat, and so week she had a hard time walking and her back was missing patches of hair, and looked as if she had been laying in her own waste. Her dachund whom she has had for almost as long is black and her skin is in such bad shape I could feel it and I could see the fleas crawling on her. She has two other dogs who other than fleas didn't look too bad. Her other dog never came out. Apparently he has accidents and there was not a spot on the carpet that didn't have a wet spot. She has atleast 10 cats all covered in fleas all friendly cause she does love on them she just doesn't see to them. The carpets looked like they needed to be ripped up. It smelled so bad it made my nose and eyes burn and today I am sick from it. The walls felt filmy from the amonia.

She had two rabbits in cages outside but the cages were sitting on the ground and were not covered or anything but she might bring them in at night. She has four birds but they are upstairs and its not as bad up there. Her couch used to be a light tan but is so nasty its almost black.

And I honestly don't know how to handle this. Well I do but its my mother and it hurts. She actually asked me to take the cats and drop them. I told her I would take them to a shelter and she said they will be put to sleep and I said well there are worse things than dying. She said atleast if they were dropped they stood a chance. And I cannot understand that logic.

I was scared to come home due to that I was scared I would bring some disease home with me on my feet. I need some major vibes I know what I have to do but it is not easy.

But I was just wondering how you would handle this?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
gosh, that's tough one Gail. Those animals are obviously in need of medical care and that way your mother is living is not healthy. I know it's your mom, but I think given what you have described I would call the SPCA from her area or the Humane society or something

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call... and I'd call NOW!

Don't think me cruel, as I know this is your mother and very hard to do... but here's what sticks with me:

Your mother is human and therefore can understand when you explain to her why you're calling the shelter.

The dogs, cats, etc are not human and therefore can't understand why they are living like this and can't help themselves.

Here's to the strength to get you through this

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would desperately be looking for a no-kill shelter. If there are none in the area, then so be it, go with the regular shelter.

I would also call the health department.

I would also set it up with someone ? to make sure your mom does not take in any more pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What hurts is I know when I do this I will never be welcome in my mother's home again but I can't just sit back she has all of the classic signs of a hoarder. And you know if I was there for just a short while and couldn't breathe how bad it has to be.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call a shelter and Animal Control. Your mother may also need some medical help - is there anyone you can contact on that end about her condition.

Since the animals are in bad shape, I'm sure your mom also is not in a healthy condition.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

What hurts is I know when I do this I will never be welcome in my mother's home again but I can't just sit back she has all of the classic signs of a hoarder. And you know if I was there for just a short while and couldn't breathe how bad it has to be.
Never say never, does your mother need medical attention? Sounds like she does. It's not healthy for her or her pets to be living like that.

Do what you have to do, it's called TOUGH LOVE.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call today and get the animals removed TODAY

Then the Health dept needs to be called and you need to get your mom some mental help.

Good luck

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your mother have friends or do you have any brothers or sisters that live near her? She needs help. YOu are her daughter, it is your responsibility to help your mother. Good luck

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would call. She's your mother, and although she will probably be very upset with you at first, she'll get over it and realize that you did it for her own good, and for the good of the animals.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She knows she is in over her head or she would not have asked you to dump 2 of the cats.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine how hard this decision is for you. I can't even begin to tell you what to do because this is your mother, all I can say is that whatever your decision is I would understand and support you.

I do want to add that while I hate the idea of young healthy animals being put down, I think it's better than being let go outside & the possibility of starving to death.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I called them and they said they are going to start an investigation tomorrow. And she wasn't wanting just 2 dropped she wanted to box up a bunch of them and drop them. I told them they need to get there soon due to that. And I gave them as much detail as possible. I just feel so bad. But I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do this. And if Nikki sees this can you find out for me what will happen to her if they find her guilty of hoarding.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She actually asked me to take the cats and drop them. I told her I would take them to a shelter and she said they will be put to sleep and I said well there are worse things than dying. She said atleast if they were dropped they stood a chance. And I cannot understand that logic.
By "drop them" I assume that you mean drop them at the side of the road somewhere?

If she's willing for you to do this, then she is willing to give up some of these animals. Search www.petfinder.com. Put in your mother's zip code to look for pets then research all of the shelters that pop up. The best way to find no-kill groups is through petfinder, as most of them post there. It will take a bit of research on your part, but keep trying.

Then call them and explain the situation to them. You can do this in a way where they will work with your mother to remove the animals that she cannot care for. It won't all fall on you.

If you call animal control or a shelter, they will probably remove all of the animals and they won't be nice about it. That will break your relationship and you don't want that.

girl. We are all here for you.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its too late I already called. Because I had offered putting them up for adoption and taking them to a shelter and she said no that they would kill them. Or that people wouldn't want them because they aren't fixed and don't have shots.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
With the disease thing, if no one is at your home, just take off what clothes you can at the door and dash straight for the bathroom to have a shower. Then make sure you scrub your boots with disinfectant and wash the clothes. Obviousely if someone is home that would be a little easier. I hope this gets resolved. It really sounds like your mum needs help, and reporting her and moving the animals is best for both parties.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mother or not- what she's doing and allowing to go on is animal abuse. You know the right thing to do love. Those animals don't deserve that kind of abuse and neglect.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well I called them and they said they are going to start an investigation tomorrow. And she wasn't wanting just 2 dropped she wanted to box up a bunch of them and drop them. I told them they need to get there soon due to that. And I gave them as much detail as possible. I just feel so bad. But I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do this. And if Nikki sees this can you find out for me what will happen to her if they find her guilty of hoarding.
No problem love- do you know what district she lives in (what city? and what county?) if she's way out of my area i might not be able to find out- but i will try! Each city has ordinances that are a little bit different. I know where i live that we would not tolerate the way she's housing them- she'd be issued a warning and be given a certain amount of time (usually 1-3 days depending on the situation) to make drastic changes and show that she's providing adequate food,water, shelter, and keeping her property clean- if not- the animals will be taken from her and she will be cited/may have to appear in court/etc. If the animals are in REALLY bad shape though- most AC officers will take photos as evidence and take the animals right then and there- it just depends on the individual case.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she lives in Clarksville. And I did call the ac I had no choice I think but it tears me up. I feel like I betrayed my mother now.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is there a chance the dog is sick?

anyway, i would have taken the animals all them.
if not doing that, then yes i would call