How often do you scoop/change litter?

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I have litter on the brain
I thought we should have another one of these and I couldn't find one of the first four pages!

So, how often do you scoop?

How often do you add litter?

How often do you totally change the litter/clean the box (I do this together, don't know if everyone does)?

What litter do you use and do you use any additives?

And of course, how many cats do you have?

My answers:

I scoop twice daily, and sometimes only once if I'm really lazy.

I add usually once every other day, also add deoderizer.

About every week and half to two weeks.

Haven't found my holy grail, Arm and Hammer right now, but it's too dusty for me. I use an odor additive...it's blue and from Petsmart, but I'm not sure of the name
. I won't be buying it again.

I have an adult cat and my roommate has 2 kittens. The kittens use the box a little bit and we have 4 boxes total.

PS- I also have a Scoop Free automatic in my room and the box with clay litter is in my master bathroom.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by venusgirltrap

2-3 times a day.

As it needs it. Usually after a couple days of scooping I need to add some.

How often do you totally change the litter/clean the box (I do this together, don't know if everyone does)?
every 2-4 weeks depending on how it holds up. Usually when I smell that "stale litter" smell that doesn't go away after scooping.

We've switched back to Tidy Cats Scoop - Red bucket. Hopefully they won't change the formula again.
We had to find a litter after they changed their formula to "tidy-lock" on all formulas. We sent an angry email. They must have listened because the red bucket is back to "Original Formula" now.
I know many other cat owners whose cats were pretty ticked off too.

3 cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to scoop every day, but most times its every other day.

We use A&H scoopable and a special additive for odor gotten at a cat show. But I'm slowly switching over to Feline Pine (or Petco's version of it). I like the Pine better and the cats don't seem to mind.

As far as adding - I add a cup or two every time I scoop as Chalie likes a lot of litter. And don't change it completely for about a month or when needed.

We have 2 cats

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
usually every day ...

alternate swheet scoop , chn feed( grt with more cats) and feline pine clumping ....

add as needed about twice a week

one semi feral

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
venusgirltrap;1982229 said:
Since I have litter on the brain
I thought we should have another one of these and I couldn't find one of the first four pages!

So, how often do you scoop? Once or twice a day.

How often do you add litter? Never

How often do you totally change the litter/clean the box (I do this together, don't know if everyone does)? Once a week.

I just started putting a handful of hamster cedar chips in for odor. I use WalMart litter.
I brainstormed this idea while in WM ready to buy Feline Pine.

And of course, how many cats do you have? Two

How many litter boxes do you have? Three

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

usually every day ...

alternate swheet scoop , chn feed( grt with more cats) and feline pine clumping ....

add as needed about twice a week

one semi feral
You've got yourself a WILDCAT! They're the best.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, how often do you scoop? Once a day

How often do you add litter? Never

How often do you totally change the litter/clean the box (I do this together, don't know if everyone does)? Once a week

What litter do you use and do you use any additives? Yesterdays News

And of course, how many cats do you have? Two

How many litter boxes do you have? Two

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Petco's scoopable litter with baking soda in the refillable 30-lb. tub; I scoop as needed to keep the boxes clean for them (just like us -- they don't want to have to use a dirty toilet!) but at least 5 times daily; I change altogether and clean at the same time, on an as-needed basis; and nine cats have me.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use whatever litter....Hy Vee brand, A&H, Tidy Cats, Special Kitty, Swheat, Targer brand....mostly clumping clay. I've got 2 foster kittens, & 5 adults kitties inside.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Once a day, or twice, if I have the time...I ROLL, not scoop, because I have a roll-away litter box (and I'm loving it! ).

Every couple of days I'll add a scoop or two full (I use a dog food measure)

Change the litter about once a month, although I may up that since I've reduced the number of boxes I have.

I have not "cleaned" my box yet, as the "roll-away" boxes have very sensitive clips and I'm afraid that I might break them. With my previous boxes, about once every 2-3 months.

I have been using WBCL, but am currently using chicken feed (corn). It works, it clumps, and it FLUSHES! I add some feline pine scooping to it (to deter bugs since the litter box is in a room that adjoins the garage) and for odor and I also add some Nature's Miracle litter box odor remover and/or baking soda. I do this about once every 2-3 days. The WBCL was good at absorbing odor, but the chicken feed obviously lacks and odor-reducing ingredients.

Three- one adult 15lb and two kittens @5.5lbs each

Also, I have one litter box right now (and all is going well.... so far ...

Art

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I scoop once or twice a day ideally.
I add litter every few days to a week and change the litter every week or so.
We use Fresh Step multiple cat and have 2 cats.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr Elsyees litter is really good but not sure I spelled it right.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, how often do you scoop? Every day.

How often do you add litter? Every day.

How often do you totally change the litter/clean the box (I do this together, don't know if everyone does)? Every three weeks

What litter do you use and do you use any additives? I use Tidy Cats and baking soda.

And of course, how many cats do you have? 11

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, how often do you scoop? 1-2x per day

How often do you add litter? every other day

How often do you totally change the litter/clean the box (I do this together, don't know if everyone does)? every 2-3 weeks

What litter do you use and do you use any additives? Fresh Step Free

And of course, how many cats do you have? One

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*I scoop the poop whenever I see poop in the box. I have Feline Pine so I just shake to settle the "used" pellets.

*I don't usually add new litter until I clean/change it.

*Before, when I was using clumping litter, I'd completely clean/change the litter about once every 6 weeks, or whenever that "stale litter" smell came around like others have mentioned. I have been using Feline Pine for a few weeks and haven't seemed to even come close to needing to clean it yet.

*Feline Pine! I am a new user and don't think I'll be going back. I have been searching for 3 years for the perfect litter and have tried nearly everything! Of course I don't need any additives with this stuff.

*I have two kitties and two litter boxes.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3-4 times a day

Every day or every other day

Monthly

Store brand clumping with bi-carb soda

10 in the house, 3 are mine they all share litterboxes

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, how often do you scoop? Every few days.

How often do you add litter? Rarely.

How often do you totally change the litter/clean the box (I do this together, don't know if everyone does)? Change twice a week. Clean the box with hot water and Murphy's Oil soap at least one of those times.

What litter do you use and do you use any additives? Tidy Cat red. I tried several other kinds but I couldn't stand the smell of the litter itself.

And of course, how many cats do you have? 1

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twice a day

Approx every 2 days

I don't do these together. Each weekend I empty the litter into a bag and clean the box (scrub and disinfect) then I put the same litter back into the box. Approx every 4-6 weeks I let the litter run as low as I dare and then I replace it and start over.

At the moment I use Golden Grey clay clumping litter, but I am going to try out worlds best cat litter (and the cheaper alternative, chick crumbs) soon as I'm not happy using clay litter for a variety of reasons. The cats like it though and I'm happy with the performance of the Golden Grey.

2 cats sharing 1 large, covered tray

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I scoop once a day, never add litter, change the whole thing once a month. I only have one cat, so it is not that gross at all.

I just use whatever is cheapest and it works fine

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, how often do you scoop? Once a day most times, sometimes every other day if I get lazy, he'll hit the box and give me the look if I get lazy like he did tonight

How often do you add litter? If I feel like it's low, but rarely do I add unless there's some left over in the bucket

How often do you totally change the litter/clean the box (I do this together, don't know if everyone does)? Every few weeks, when it starts stinkin...

What litter do you use and do you use any additives? Use Scoop Away odor free... may start lookin for something less messy and less dusty

And of course, how many cats do you have? Just the one, he's more than enough while I'm still renting...