Question of the Day- September 20th

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know this is part of the SS hints, but it doesn't hurt to elaborate

What kind of books do you like to read the best, and do you have an all time favorite book? Any authors your read consistently?

I like to read comedy/romances or suspense/romances, I also don't mind a historical romance thrown in. I also really enjoy classic literature. My favorite book of all time is Island of the Blue Dolphins, I read it 5 times in 6th grade
I love Nora Roberts and try to read every book she publishes

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like educational books like health issues, religion, cooking etc.
NOW i really dig the magazine "Real Simple" -- awesome magazine!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True Crime Books. I'm currently reading The Anatomy of the Motive (I love how he uses behavioral sciences to identify criminals).

Yesterday I stopped and got a book on tape for the car ride: Too late to Say Goodbye (Ann Rule). I love her books as well. Helped avoid the creeps when I was dating

I also enjoy Sherman Alexie novels, Louise Erdrich, and any historical fiction in regards to Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth I.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will literally read anything just to be reading. I really like Historic stuff though. Like books about the Civil War, Titanic, Biographies and stuff like that. Im boring.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm...I haven't done much reading beyond school assigned books...hard to find time.
My favorite book is "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My All Time favorite author has a series I've been reading since I was about 10. Her name is Lois Gladys Leppard and writes the Mandie mystery books. It's supposed to be a series for Christian pre-teens, but honestly even my Mother always liked reading them, so I have no problem still reading them. I've re-read the entire series several times.

I like an occasional mystery book, esp from Agatha Christie. I'm currently reading a mystery series where 2 cats (A Savanah and a Ragdoll) are characters throwing in their 2 cents! It's called the Jacques & Cleo Cat Detectives series. The first book is called "What the Cat Dragged In" and the other books are named for sayings like that too. It's by Gilbert Morris. In the book are other animals too. The story line revolves around an inheritance from a distant family member who's will makes the characters her heir under the condition they care for her many pets.

Other than that I like good cheesey Christian Romance books. Prefferably in novella form (those always have happy endings!). I hate when books don't leave you feeling satisfied at the end. I'm reading for entertainment! Not depression!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything about cats of course. But I really enjoy Fantasy, Horror(mostly ghost/haunting not murder), and Spiritual books.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I love anything & everything by Nicholas Sparks & Danielle Steel!
I love Nicholas Sparks too! Never got into Danielle Steele though
Originally Posted by lunasmom

True Crime Books. I'm currently reading The Anatomy of the Motive (I love how he uses behavioral sciences to identify criminals).

Yesterday I stopped and got a book on tape for the car ride: Too late to Say Goodbye (Ann Rule). I love her books as well. Helped avoid the creeps when I was dating
didn't Ann Rule write a book about Ted Bundy? is that it?
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

I will literally read anything just to be reading. I really like Historic stuff though. Like books about the Civil War, Titanic, Biographies and stuff like that. Im boring.
Have you read Killer Angels by Michael Scharra? or any of the other ones, Gods & Generals etc. They fiction, but based on the Civil war., cause I am tellnig you, I hate American history but these books drew me in completely
Originally Posted by Jarvis

Hmm...I haven't done much reading beyond school assigned books...hard to find time.
My favorite book is "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller.
Never read that one
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I'm currently reading a mystery series where 2 cats (A Savanah and a Ragdoll) are characters throwing in their 2 cents! It's called the Jacques & Cleo Cat Detectives series. The first book is called "What the Cat Dragged In" and the other books are named for sayings like that too. It's by Gilbert Morris. In the book are other animals too. The story line revolves around an inheritance from a distant family member who's will makes the characters her heir under the condition they care for her many pets.
I think I have read one of those books!
Originally Posted by kitytize

Anything about cats of course. But I really enjoy Fantasy, Horror(mostly ghost/haunting not murder), and Spiritual books.
do you read Terry Brooks? I had to read a fantasy book for a report in school and really got hooked, I had to read the rest of the series I started!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you read Killer Angels by Michael Scharra? or any of the other ones, Gods & Generals etc. They fiction, but based on the Civil war., cause I am tellnig you, I hate American history but these books drew me in completely
Cant say that I have actually. I did look for them at the library but our library is really old and mostly has old old books in it. I would have to order them from some other library and I just havnt done it yet. So they are good. Ive been wanting to read them for awhile but wasnt sure if they were worth the hassle I would have to go threw to get them.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like character-driven novels. Pat Conroy is my absolute favorite author, although he only writes about a book a decade it seems, and hasn't written one for years. He wrote Lords of Discipline, The Great Santini, Beach Music, The Prince of Tides (great book...please don't judge it on that lousy movie). His books are densely written with a lot of lush description...when he describes the South Carolina low country, you can almost see it and smell it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I like character-driven novels. Pat Conroy is my absolute favorite author, although he only writes about a book a decade it seems, and hasn't written one for years. He wrote Lords of Discipline, The Great Santini, Beach Music, The Prince of Tides (great book...please don't judge it on that lousy movie). His books are densely written with a lot of lush description...when he describes the South Carolina low country, you can almost see it and smell it.
wow, those sound really good, I'll have to check them out!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

wow, those sound really good, I'll have to check them out!
Only if you are prepared for him to tear your heart out, because that is what will happen...every time. Pat Conroy has a few personal demons I think.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Decided to post some of my all time favorite books

Love love love this one. I own it and read it quite often. I think I know his life story as well as he did. LOL
http://www.amazon.com/Orphan-Train-R.../dp/0395913624

http://www.amazon.com/Orphan-Trains-...252203-0964701

http://www.amazon.com/Rode-Orphan-Tr...252203-0964701

And these ones are my all time favorite even though they are for preteens. My mom bought me the whole set when I was 10 or 11 and I still have them all and I still read them. They are fairly worn out though and need replaced.

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Apart-O...252203-0964701

http://www.amazon.com/Place-Belong-O...252203-0964701

http://www.amazon.com/Face-Danger-Or...252203-0964701

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Prom...252203-0964701

http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Secret...252203-0964701

http://www.amazon.com/Caught-Act-Orp...252203-0964701

http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Love-Or...252203-0964701

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

didn't Ann Rule write a book about Ted Bundy? is that it?
Yes, I haven't read that one yet. Apparently she use to work with him in Washington State!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as fiction goes like like Stephen King, Clive Barker, Ramsey Campbell as you can see I am a horror fan.

James Herriot my favorite non-fiction writer.

I also like books on history, mythology and philosophy.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm lets see I really got into historical romance, its funny tho because I got some books at the flea market and I didnt relize it was a romance novel until after I read it and now I have most of that authors books lol the author is Cheryl Holt...

I also like Danielle Steel books as well, have most of those too
And of course Jackie Collins

And I also love reading true crime books, no specific author for that though! I have a great collection of true crime books!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love anything by Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Steve Martini, John Grisham, or James Patterson. I really enjoy court-related books, where they go through a trial or something.

Lately I've been enjoying books published by a place called something like "Red Dress Press".

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Yes, I'm another horror fan. I have most of their collections except for the newest releases.

I also love anything my Morgan Llewelyn (I think that is how you spell her name). She writes mostly historical fiction based in Ireland and England. I also love fantasy as long as it doesn't get too indepth (as in a series where I have NO idea what is going on when I pick up a book in the middle). Also love Vampire stories...Anita Blake series is a big favorite...have all but the last one. I waiting for that to come out in paperback.

The BEST cat book I've ever read is "The Wild Road". And there is a sequal called "The Golden Cat". It is awesome, and it really makes you wonder what goes on in the cat world.

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/wildroad/