Ragdolls Owners, Do they come when called?

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Curious here, i'm a fairly recent ragdoll owner almost 2.5yrs, now i am not a new cat owner i've owned them for over 19yrs BUT our other cats were just your typical run of the mill type cat, not a specific breed.

anyhow, if your called them or did the here kitty, kitty they'd come running.. well not these ragdolls

i've had 4 of them and they all do it, i find it so strange? but maybe that is just a ragdoll thing?

just something that has surprised me not that it's real important or nothing, more just a curiosity thing

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's weird. I can see if they didn't come once in awhile. Ling and Charlie both come when you call their names. Ling's a DSH; Charlie's and Ocicat.

But even my rexes came when you called their names. Have your tried calling them by their names instead of "here kitty kitty"? Maybe they don't know you mean them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

That's weird. I can see if they didn't come once in awhile. Ling and Charlie both come when you call their names. Ling's a DSH; Charlie's and Ocicat.

But even my rexes came when you called their names. Have your tried calling them by their names instead of "here kitty kitty"? Maybe they don't know you mean them?
Yep, no response

i have no idea why they don't.. i just find it strange after the way my other 2 would come no problem.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Do you know for sure that their hearing is intact?
mmm.. i think so? i mean they all respond to noises and such, i mean they certainly don't behave like their are hearing issues.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

Do ANY, unless they know there is a treat involved?

Seriously, my cats have names, but only come for "food!"

well, my other 2 did.. they were very good at coming to their names and the typical here kitty, kitty... but maybe they were the unusual ones lol

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As weird as it sounds, perhaps they do not like the names you chose for them? What are their names? Usually cats respond better to vowel ending sounds like "ee" "o" "y".

Maybe you need to change their names to something they do like

tallulah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two DSH and 1 2yr old ragdoll, none of them respond when I call, but what I have noticed about my ragdoll is she follows me everywhere and is always under my feet.

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two ragdolls and when I call "Here kitty kitty" it sounds like a herd of elephants thundering through the house... if they choose to come at all. It's like they know what I want... If I'm calling them for food they always come LOL

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As weird as it sounds, perhaps they do not like the names you chose for them? What are their names? Usually cats respond better to vowel ending sounds like "ee" "o" "y".

I do think there's something in that. Both of my boys are instantly attentive when they hear their names (with the exception of when they are too distracted in the middle of a fly-hunt!), and they know which name belongs to them and which name belongs to the other. Radar is particularly clever in this regard, I can ask him 'where's Sonic?', 'where's Nate', and 'where's Mr Mousie?' (his toy mouse) and he will show me where each of them are.
If I say 'Radar', Radar will look at me, and Sonic will look at Radar

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is funny because we've been talking about it in my house. We have Zoe, a 6mo old ragdoll girl. She recognizes her name instantly. But she tends to not react to it unless I'm the one saying it. Occasionally she'll look if my sons or DH says it but not as often. Anytime I call her she definetly comes running (if she's not already under my feet that is
). She stays with me so much and I really wanted her to recognize her name so anytime she happened to not be there, I would start saying her name so she would look at me or come to me. Last night I called her from my bedroom/bathroom and it took a few calls, but she came barrelling in there and I brushed her teeth!
She probably wished she hadn't come!

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

well, abby, quinlan and copper.. but the last one was named by the breeder we got him as an older kitten, my other ragdoll who pasted away in 06 was named kyla and she never came either.

I don't think i could change their names though.. that feels wrong

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tallulah

I have two DSH and 1 2yr old ragdoll, none of them respond when I call, but what I have noticed about my ragdoll is she follows me everywhere and is always under my feet.
oh yes, i think that is a ragdoll characteristic lol.. ours are very
underfoot.. you gotta be real steady with your walking 'round here

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

This is funny because we've been talking about it in my house. We have Zoe, a 6mo old ragdoll girl. She recognizes her name instantly. But she tends to not react to it unless I'm the one saying it. Occasionally she'll look if my sons or DH says it but not as often. Anytime I call her she definetly comes running (if she's not already under my feet that is
). She stays with me so much and I really wanted her to recognize her name so anytime she happened to not be there, I would start saying her name so she would look at me or come to me. Last night I called her from my bedroom/bathroom and it took a few calls, but she came barrelling in there and I brushed her teeth!
She probably wished she hadn't come!
Mine won't come to nobody, i mean.. their pretty much always around or in their typical resting spots, but they refuse to come when called?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do ragdoll owners come when they're called? Gee, I suppose so. I come when my cats call me and they're not even ragdolls. If I had a ragdoll, I'd probably come running!!