Sleeping... or not! :D

batan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, seems like Ferdinand is really good at waking us up about every second night.
After his freakout accident with the bed a few weeks back( http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138451), he's still scared of it...well more uncomfortable then scared, enough for him not to want to really be on it or sleep on it. He sleeps on the armchair next to the bed most of nights.

However, about two times a night he will get up and meow, waking us up. Seems like he wants company(get up, I'm bored, I wanna play or be pet!). Interesting thing he does, and one I want to ask about, is - he will stretch on corners and the wall all the way up and run his front paws like he's clawing it but he's not. There's just enough claws to make some noise. And wake us up in the process. He does the same thing on the windows. I was thinking he might be trying to open windows(he's an indoor cat) but I don't think that's it.

Any input on how to get him to stop waking us up? He's got food and water so that's not it either. His 2, apparently was a stray according to SPCA but he came to the shelter neutered so I'm not sure about that. And, he's been with us since early August. It's not a big issue but I'm intrigued by this reaching up...

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Batan

. Interesting thing he does, and one I want to ask about, is - he will stretch on corners and the wall all the way up and run his front paws like he's clawing it but he's not. There's just enough claws to make some noise. .
That's a marking behavior. There's sebacious glands on their feet which leave a scent on the surface. After a few years of this, you'll notice smudges on the walls at the places he does this repeatedly.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try an intense play session before bedtime followed up by a nice meaty meal. I feed my kitties less during the day, have playtime right before bedtime, then snack. Most of the time, they sleep through the night.

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

batan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

That's a marking behavior. There's sebacious glands on their feet which leave a scent on the surface. After a few years of this, you'll notice smudges on the walls at the places he does this repeatedly.
I know about marking behaviors in cats, but I have never seen them do it on a vertical wall like this. He's pretty territorial then!

That's a good advice with feeding... I tried something similar, I put his food out before we go to bed. But he perks up by wee AM hours...