How well do you get along with your parents?

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just curious what type of relationship everyone has with their parents? Are you really close? Are you closer to one than the other? Do you talk often and spend a lot of time together?

It seems I was closer especially to my mom when I was younger, and not so much now. I think we are just too much alike and clash sometimes. We are also very different in ways too and I feel I can't share too much with her because I know we are both set in seeing things entirely different and I'd rather not get myself all worked up since I get upset easily. It's basically the same with my dad. We see and talk to each other about once a week, we just don't share many of the same interests and unfortunately my mom can be pretty down-beat and negative a lot and I find myself feeling more down after I talk to her. As much I love them, I just feel like I have to distance myself at times because as much as I hate it... they do make me feel down often after we talk. I feel guilty for feeling this way but I just can't help it, I feel so much happier when I'm with Sash. He's so much happier and upbeat, which makes me feel better!

Would love to hear others stories of your relationships with your parents, if you care to share.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my father when I was 17. I was with him when he died of cancer, I was Daddies girl, I am now 47, I never got a long with my Mother, She died two years ago, I wish now that I had tried to get along with her, I now see things that I could have done differently,

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything to do with my father (horrible childhood/divorce/etc)

I am however pretty close to my mom- we talk on the phone several times a day and see each other several times a week normally.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get along fine with my mom as long as I don't live with, or spend too much time with her
We talk on the phone once a week now, and its great when I get a chance to visit home, but only see her once a year now.

I haven't spoken to my dad in years and probably won't.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love love love love my parents!!
I get along very well with them, I actually "hang out" with them a lot
My mom is my best friend, I can tell her anything...in fact she usually knows it before I do
And my Dad is my hero

My parents have always been there for me 100% no matter what kind of stupid mistake I made, and there's been a few
I feel bad cause I'm not able to give back to them as much as I want to right now, but I'm working on that! and I also feel bad because I don't want children and my mom really wants grandchildren (although she'd never say that to me) oh well, there's always my sister!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my dad last month. We talked on the phone every now and then and I used to visit every couple of weeks, but he was closer with my sister than me. I have recently gotten closer to my mom since all of this happened.

flutterby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't get a long with my father all that much.. We're completely different and that causes a lot of friction between us. He grew up in the city and seriously is a "city boy" (no offense to anyone!!) .. He hates animals and I treat them like they're my children.. He gets absolutely disgusted because I sleep in bed with my dogs and allow Petrie to do what he wants when he wants (lol i'm a bad mommy!).. I'm going to college to get a business degree to open up a doggy/kitty daycare and he's appalled because he insists I could use my degree for a "real" job.. I do not like people.. So no.. I'm not going to get an office job.. is he nuts?!

Now my mother.. I absolutely love her! She grew up on a farm and lived on her family farm until she was 18.. She LOVES animals.. When I would mention adding a new addition my mom would HELP me do it behind my dads back and stick up for me.. hehe.. I'm a mommy's girl too so that helps.. She doesn't mind having a few animals as long as its manageable and you have the time for it.. She completely understand me opening a doggy/kitty daycare and actually encourages me to do what *I* want to do... She's all about self satisfaction and being happy.. I can tell her anything and not feel weird about it..

I guess a big difference would be that my parents are 22 years apart (from totally different eras) and grew up in totally different life styles. Dad was born in '34 and mom was born in '56.. So you can see the gap difference.. My dad is like a grumpy old grandpa.. He's never happy and acts like he hates life...

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I love love love love my parents!!
I get along very well with them, I actually "hang out" with them a lot
My mom is my best friend, I can tell her anything...in fact she usually knows it before I do
And my Dad is my hero

My parents have always been there for me 100% no matter what kind of stupid mistake I made, and there's been a few
I feel bad cause I'm not able to give back to them as much as I want to right now, but I'm working on that! and I also feel bad because I don't want children and my mom really wants grandchildren (although she'd never say that to me) oh well, there's always my sister!
Katie, I read your post and I felt like you were speaking for me too! I adore my parents, my mother is an angel and my father is my hero. I feel so fortunate to be blessed with such an amazing family!

And I don't want children either! It breaks my heart because my mother would be an amazing grandmother and it would make her so happy (mine never says that either). I'm counting on my brother though!

salix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't spoken to my father in years, nor do I care to.

My mother and I have had some clashes, but I'm more than willing to admit (here) that it's because we're so alike that we get on each other's nerves.
My mother lives a province away and we get along fine like that (now if I can convince her of that!)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Lisa and SASH!

I went through much the same with my mom in the last two years or so of her life (I can't prove it, but I think her relatives, who betrayed my dad and me after she passed, were working on her to alienate her from me and my dad -- multicultural family) and now that she is no longer here, I miss her terribly and wish that that hadn't happened...we had always been close and at the last, it was as if we were strangers. But I always loved her and never could understand why she would change like that. My dad and me? We were close until I was starting to grow up, and have opinions of my own -- different generations and all -- and then we basically put up with one another, though we always loved one another as well. Now that I'm "it" for him, we are very close, though he still rags on me sometimes, but I understand him a lot better than when I was a wild teenager! so basically I tell myself that when I'm with him, it's HIS world and I play to his tune -- sure doesn't hurt me to do that, and then I can go home and be with my 9 and do what I want on my own time! It's like that with friends, too -- a lot of them have changed a lot (not for the better, unfortunately) and a lot of them I don't know where they are, and the others are all over the world, so I just know how to stay busy, like my own company, and most of all, enjoy The Fabulous Nine. They're the BEST! Hi to SASH! and keep your head up -- it's like that all over, but we have our CATS and TCS and that's a good thing, isn't it?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Salix

I haven't spoken to my father in years, nor do I care to.

My mother and I have had some clashes, but I'm more than willing to admit (here) that it's because we're so alike that we get on each other's nerves.
Though we did just move in with my mother and it isn't too bad YET.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm one of those people who's mom is their best friend. Dad & I do not see eye to eye on cats(they need to be fixed, aren't to be shot, etc) & dogs(who should be indoors, no matter their size). But we get along very well.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Dad has been gone 2 years this fall, and my Mum almost 20, and I miss them both like crazy. We got along very well.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom and I were like best friends. We would talk several times a day, spend weekends together...we did so much! I was 27 when she passed away and that was the day my best friend left my life. Its just not the same without her.

Now my dad and I have issues. I dont really communicate with his side of the family because i think they are the most judging hypocrits ever. My dad and i talk but its mostly small talk so we arent that close.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm deffinately close with my Mom. We wored for the same company untill the end of June and I loved that. (She always brought me lunch!
) During my teenage years we weren't as close as when I was little and she was a single mom, but I outgrew that.

My Dad and I became close once he divorced my ex-step-mother. Before that we had an awful relationship. Now it's been 8 years since the divorce and he's got a new girlfriend. I'm feeling rather defensive after meeting her....

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my mom to death! We are best friends, drinking buddies, goofballs, pirates, and many other things! We have a great relationship for the most part! We have our spats on occasion but not often! My father, I havent talked to in 3 years... I know that sounds really harsh, but among other things it was to see if he would be the adult for once and apologize first... he still hasnt
*sigh*

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very close to my mom.
She's like my best friend at times and is always there when I need her.

My dad on the other hand is kinda distant sometimes.
He had a rough childhood growing up and doesn't really know how to show emotion.
He's gotten better over the years. Especially with my kids.

I'll quote from my myspace page under "Heros"

My dad is the strongest, most intelligent person I know.
He's guided me in so many ways and helped me through alot of tough situations. I don't know what I would do w/o him.
He taught me not to be afraid to stand up for what you believe in and don't let other people bring you down.
He's also showed me that honesty is the best way in life. Even if it means the other person's feelings might be hurt. It's not being mean. It's being truthful.. sometimes the truth hurts.. deeply.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my parents have already passed away but I had a very close relationship with both of them.

My father passed away when I was in my middle teens, I was sort of his suck being the youngest in my family and he spoiled me quite a lot.

My mother passed away 10 years ago, she was very ill prior to her death and lived with me for almost 2years because she couldn't be on her own. We where very similar in temperament and personality so got along well.

I feel very lucky that I did get along with them so well.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my parents SO much and I do things with them and for them all the time. My mom and I get along fantastically, we walk together in the evenings, garden together and even go grocery shopping together! My dad and I are inseperable...we love to watch the hockey games together and I've taught him a lot about computers. I had a chance a couple of years ago to move to San Diego (where my sister lives) but I turned the job down because I felt that I should be here with my parents during their golden years. There will be plenty of time for me after they're gone. I don't see that as a sacrifice....I enjoy my parents very much. I really feel sorry for my sister because she's been in California for the last 27 years and she's missed so much of their lives. I think that eventually she will come to regret not spending much time with them. I'm hoping to continue to make the happy memories that will sustain me once they've left this world.