Litterbox smell

flutterby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay... Petrie's litterbox smells! I have it in the bathroom and keep the door *slightly* open.. Just enough for him to walk through and keep the dogs out.. But no.. its not good enough for him and he'll push the door completely open. If I'm gone for a few hours the smell almost knocks me over! He has no worms (got dewormed a few weeks ago and fecal last week) and no diahrea (sp?)... Is there any kind of litter that will mask or make the odor not as bad? I'm currently using Tidy Cats (for multiple cats and odor control
)...Is there a better litter that isn't overly expensive? With Callie coming home in a few weeks I need to get this under control...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try adding some baking soda powder in the litter and mix it up. Is your boy neutered? Un-neutered males have stronger smelling pee/poop.

What food are you feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flutterby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, he's not neutered.. He's 3 months old (maybe 3 1/2 tops) and he's due to get snipped in December or January (whichever they aren't crammed)..

He's eating Whiskas right now ... He snubs everything else and will not eat and cry and cry until he gets it.. My boyfriend's mother has 8 cats who all eat the same thing and their boxes aren't a killer like this..

I know food probably has a lot to do with it.. But I've spent a fortune on cat foods because he won't eat half the stuff and I have to give it away to someone who has cats that will..

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How often are you scooping/cleaning the box/replacing litter?

I scoop once, sometimes twice a day, and replace the litter every two weeks with fresh litter. That keeps the smell down in my home!

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I scoop once, sometimes twice a day, and replace the litter every two weeks with fresh litter. That keeps the smell down in my home!
Ditto
I use Fresh Step Free (no dyes or perfumes). I'm very happy with it and most importantly so is my kitty.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Swheat Scoop. It is more expensive but for me is SO worth the extra $3 a bag. You can scoop it out like regular scoop-able litter. The wheat has done wonders for masking the smell! I do scoop it out about once a day just to be on the safe side though. I have really loved it!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're pretty happy with Tidy Cats Scoop (Red Bucket). I scoop 2-3 times a day and do a full change every 3-4 weeks.

Are you using scooping litter or standard clay? Standard clay gets stinky really fast.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI,
I think once the male kitty gets neutered the smell will drop.
I scoop 3 times a day, 1 cat.
I noticed with unscented or lightly scented mixed(multiple types
of scoopable liters- mostly unscented) in 3 days their was a oder. I have been mixing in the Baking soda too. Also I bought Knock Out - spray
bottle, and that helped by spraying a little in each day after 3 days.
I am just now using for 2nd week, 1/3 Swheat Scoop box, 1/3 feline pine scoopable-green box, 1/3 other - A&H unscented, or A&H performance
and no smell even after 1 week, total unbelievable difference.
I think I can easily go now 2 wks. without complete change or at
least 10 days.
Dont be afraid to mix multple litters, I have been doing it for a long time
to get best results for you and your cat. Use the Baking Soda powder in the litter. I really dont like scented litters, I dont think it for the cats sake,
just the owner, I am afraid of the kitty not using the box due too
much perfumes and that would be way worse in my opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flutterby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's like the "rock" or peddle looking litter.. It doesn't clump.. I do a full litter change every weekend..

Should I change to a clumping litter? For some reason this litter just doesn't clump so it needs changed constantly.. And when he pees, you can't scoop it..

I'm going to ride out to the petstores and walmart and see what I can find...

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
I have just discover the wonders of baking soda, I treat the whole house once a week by sprinkling it on the floor leaving it while then vacuuming it up, i scoop daily and I use arm and hammer super scoop which seems to be good at controlling the smell too, I put a bit of baking soda on the bottom of the litter tray before pouring in the litter.

I also have an odor eater jelly thing, that sits behind the cat box (so Mellow cant get it as its harmful to pets) this really helped when he had diarrhea. its not scented it just absorbs the bad smells.

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Originally Posted by Flutterby

It's like the "rock" or peddle looking litter.. It doesn't clump.. I do a full litter change every weekend..

Should I change to a clumping litter? For some reason this litter just doesn't clump so it needs changed constantly.. And when he pees, you can't scoop it..

I love scoopable litter, it makes it so easy, walmart I think http://www.armandhammer.com/ if you skip the intro and then click special offers, register your email address nad you will then be able to print some coupons they have one for cat litter and one for carpet deoderisor and some others i think!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Flutterby

You will notice a big difference with clumping litter. Tidy Cats Scoop is my cat's favorite. Followed by Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat scoop.
Tidy Cats Scoop is a little more economical for us than Dr Elsey's. And easier to find.

With clumping litter, you can scoop after he goes, and the box will stay clean. Then you should only have to change the litter every 2-4 weeks depending on how the litter holds up. (Some get smellier quicker)

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oh yeah! Definitely switch to something clumping so you can scoop out those pees - you'll notice a huge difference and your kitty will thank you for it... if it smells that bad to you, imagine having to get in it to do your business!... I also have a bag of that charcoal odor eliminator stuff and an electric air purifier by the box and they help too (the air purifier is just a little like desktop model by Holmes that I got from Walmart - not overly expensive)

trishfitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recommend using Mrs. Meyer's Litter Freshener periodically (http://tinyurl.com/yr92nw) -- I sprinkle it on top of the litter and then mix it in (only because my cat, Darcy, balks if I don't). It smells great (the freshener, not the litter
). There's a Mrs. Meyer's spray that I use occasionally as well, that has the same great smell.

Trish

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our litter boxes have no odor, people often comment how we have cats but you can't smell anything

I scoop pretty much when I see it, or a couple times a day

I use Tidy Cats litter, the blue container (I think it's called immediate control)

And feed Good quality food. Nutro dry and wellness/felidae/nutro kitten wet

catzrule40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I scoop 3 or 4 times daily David and mittens will go into any box at all shadow will just go in hers, but still im scooping litter boxes 3 or 4 times daily but the boxes dont really smell except when david goes stinky(poop) how stinky it is. I think it is true that uneutered males poopy stinks more. davids poopy stinks worse than shadows and mittens shadow and mittens are spayed but david has yet to be clipped.
Donna

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats were neutered at 9 weeks when I got them from the Humane Society.
I would get him neutered now.

I like Arm & Hammer litterbox deodorizer, they sell it at Walmart.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Try adding some baking soda powder in the litter and mix it up.
Just for ask...
...there are not an efect over the paws of the kittys with the baking soda?...
...I mean once I use it a bit for my shoes and the result was my feet begins to left pieces of skin...
...yes the odour dissapear but I don´t know wich effect to have on the kittys paws...

Originally Posted by GingersMom

this is the best advice, I have 2 kittys and the work is hard but if you want a clean enviroment, scoop daily twice at least the litter box....
I garatee that works and replece it like Betsy says!

manicveg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Peeps

Glad i have joined this forum and seems i can give something back

jeyes "paws n claws" cat litter freshner is the best I have come across it really does cut the mustard, unfortunately the only place i have ever seen this is at Aldi here in the uk and its only stocked now and again, so my advice to peeps is to grab as many as you can if you see this product at your local aldi.

really is the fastest acting cat litter freshener i have ever come across

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm currently using Feline Pine for Julius, but reading all your comments...it seems like a clumping litter would be a good idea. However, I've read somewhere that clumping litter is dangerous for cats, something about ingesting them...is it true?

Seems that kind of litter would make my life a whole lot easier!