Food ?...Just wondering

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have recently been able to get my kitty off of Fancy Feast (always mixed with something better just to get her to eat the better foods) and found that Wellness kitten mixed with a little Natural Life and topped with just a bit of Meow Mix (all canned foods btw) really suits her well and the litterboxes smells have really improved!

My question is alot of y'all talk of rotating brands.... does that mean it can be different every day, week, month? I will probably try to stick with what's working right now but I would just like to know how it's done.

I have had to really work with Zoe for the last 3 months to find something that did well on her belly. I have found that adding dry food for snacking (she really doesn't want the dry at all anyway) really causes her poos to get messier. And with all her hair and just being a messy kitten it really has not been fun a lot of the time
...all wet food and all is now good!

Thanks for your input!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the cat. Some people stick to rotating different canned flavors from the same brand or different brands but the same protein source. I rotate between several different brands--a different brand/flavor each day. Some cats have tummies that are better able to tolerate the different types while others do better with more consistency.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rotate between 5 or 6 brands, and multiple flavors of each brand and have no problems.

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

It really depends on the cat. Some people stick to rotating different canned flavors from the same brand or different brands but the same protein source. .
This is what I do. My cat is very picky...she only likes Natural Balance's canned food and it has to be chicken flavored. So that leaves me with two options: Chicken & Liver and Indoor (she hated Ultra).

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

I have recently been able to get my kitty off of Fancy Feast (always mixed with something better just to get her to eat the better foods) and found that Wellness kitten mixed with a little Natural Life and topped with just a bit of Meow Mix (all canned foods btw) really suits her well and the litterboxes smells have really improved!

Thanks for your input!
PLEASE share with me -- HOW do you get em OFF the Kitty Crack????

Walter is now such a little putz ... he won't even eat 1/4 Wellness mixed in!!!!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rotate between about 5-10 brands. I rotate between Nutro, Meow Mix, Pro Plan, Pro Plan Selects, 9Lives, Friskies, & Fancy Feast. It's always a different flavor or brand every day, unless its a larger can and they get that twice a day. IMO, as long as they get a high quality dry, I dont mind giving them the "junk" wet food. They are still eating wet food, and that's all I want. They are getting Nutro Natural Choice in the morning, so they are getting a high quality dry.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 3 different brands: Friskies, Natural Choice and Max Cat for the canned. Royal Canin for dry. I rotate flavors and brands with no problems. Just kinda stack them in alternating brands/flavors and go down the stack

They eat whatever is put in front of them - no picky eaters.

I will use the FF (very small cans) only for taking canned food to the show for Charlie as its just enough and no wasting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PLEASE share with me -- HOW do you get em OFF the Kitty Crack????

Walter is now such a little putz ... he won't even eat 1/4 Wellness mixed in!!!!
It was a little slow going here too because basically I just wanted her eating enough of anything instead of walking away from the better stuff. It really came down to me having a BIG problem with her favorite flavors...her breath and her poops smelled really bad and I realized opening a can of the food smelled just like it. So I played mean mom and just told her no more! A meow in my face or her sitting at my feet taking her bath would have me almost gagging! and she's just too sweet for that.

So I found that topping the wellness/natural life with the FF sliced in gravy(much less smell) or the meow mix made her happy enough to eat it. Sometimes I do wonder about myself when I'm dishing out of 3 different cans for her meals, though....what we do for our kitties, huh?

But I like the different rotations and I really appreciate the advice here from everybody. I hope as she weans off of kitten foods in 6 months to be able to offer different varieties to keep away from the pickies. Has anyone else noticed just how hard it is to find different types of canned kitten food?

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we rotate between Wellness (all life stages), Felidae (also All Life Stages) and Nutro Max Kitten.