I Have an Agrresive Cat!!! Please Help!!!

jay_x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My name is Jason. My girlfriend got me a cat for an early B-Day gift back on June 6, 2006 (6/6/06.....coincidence, hope so). I named him Sidney, aka Sid Vicious, he was 6 weeks at the time. One of my girlfriends co-workers found him in there basement meowing away all be himself. They live on a piece of land near some small hills, so that makes him ferrel I guess. He's an awesome cat, no fear, not skidish at all. When I got him I was living with 2 other guys in a house, and there was always people in and out. Didn't bother him at all, he would always come up to new people if the came to visit. But since my girlfriend and I work a lot, we wanted a companion for Sid, so he wasn't lonely while we were away. So 2 weeks after getting him, we found a female cat from a litter some local people had. We named her Nancy, she was also 6 weeks old when we got her. She was kept away from the other cats in her litter, by a daughter of the people who owned them. She kept her in her room, not too much interaction with the other cats. So we did the whole seperate them at first, let them sniff each other under the door, keep them divided by a baby gate. It was actually one of the most stressful few weeks of my life to be honest. Enough to the point where I was almost going to get rid of Nancy cause they wouldn't get along at first. But after a while they warmed up to each other, and they got along great. They clean each other, sleep with each other, play & wrestle all the time, very cute. And they look alike, Sid is a medium haired brown tabby, and Nancy is a short haired brown tabby. They've had all their shots, both fixed, everything up to date. I love em both to death!

So fast forward to the present. They're a year and four months old, healthy as can be, completey in door cats. They've by accident got out but not for more than 10 or 15 minutes. Sid has become very agressive, he'll attack unannounced, he's very aggresive with Nancy, so that's why I joined this forum today. To find a solution. We've tried spraying him with water if he won't back down after us saying NO. That works, but he runs when he sees the bottle cuase he knows what coming. He attacks you if you're making the slightest move, tapping your fingers, moving your feet, if my hand falls off the edge of the bed in the middle of the nite, he's after it.

Nancy is the complete opposite. She has to be the sweetest cat I've ever seen. She's very talkative, if you say her name she meows back. She always wants to be petted, she'll roll on her back and let you scratch her tummy, she's very gentle, never uses her claws when playing, the best cat EVER!

Sid can be sweet too. Up until recently he did the milking thing, where he needs his paws and sticks his tongue out and makes this "sucky" face. He would get my shirt dripping wet milking it like it was his momma. He rubbs up against my leg when I come home. You can only pet him when he's "in the mood" I guess. So if he's just sitting there staring out the window and you pet him he might cry and bite at you.

I've dealt with this for a year, thought we could get in under control for the most part. But now we've got a bigger problem. Sid has managed to cut Nancy's ear a bit, his playing has gotten more rough. My girlfriend noticed another cut on her ear today. So that's what brought me here. I could write more details, but you get the idea. Hopefully I can find a solution, thanks!

Jason

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
one solution comes to mind neutering

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jay_x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

one solution comes to mind neutering
They're both fixed, had em both fixed at 6 months or so.

joe poppers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like Sid was not aggressive till recently? From what I read from your post.

Has this happened after he got out? Has he been under stress lately? Have you taken him to the vet, to see if he is in pain? I never had a cat that was over 1 year old and started to milk? he is not a kitten, why would he start milking now? Maybe his gums or teeth are hurting him?

If I understood you right, he never acted aggressive till a few time ago..what changed in your env't? If nothing, i woudl check him with a vet and make sure he is not in pain?
Did this start once he got out? maybe he wants to go out and he is upset you don't let him out, since he got out and got a scent of the outdoors?

i would not scare him with the water, i would actually whimp in pain when he hurts you, so he knows he hurts when he bites/scratchs.

Are you sure he is just not being playful and does not know that he his hurting you? My cat attacks me all the time, but he is just being playfull ( he does not have a playmate, so I am his playmate), if this is the case, he needs to know that he is hurting and he will be gentler next time. Just a thought.

There is many circumstances that could cause Sid to act that way. Don't get frustrate and just try to udnerstand what he is trying to tell you

Maybe he got over the cuddliness and he just not much into being petted? My other cat when was young was very skittish and hated being petted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jay_x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Joe Poppers

Sounds like Sid was not aggressive till recently? From what I read from your post.

Has this happened after he got out? Has he been under stress lately? Have you taken him to the vet, to see if he is in pain? I never had a cat that was over 1 year old and started to milk? he is not a kitten, why would he start milking now? Maybe his gums or teeth are hurting him?

If I understood you right, he never acted aggressive till a few time ago..what changed in your env't? If nothing, i woudl check him with a vet and make sure he is not in pain?
Did this start once he got out? maybe he wants to go out and he is upset you don't let him out, since he got out and got a scent of the outdoors?

i would not scare him with the water, i would actually whimp in pain when he hurts you, so he knows he hurts when he bites/scratchs.

Are you sure he is just not being playful and does not know that he his hurting you? My cat attacks me all the time, but he is just being playfull ( he does not have a playmate, so I am his playmate), if this is the case, he needs to know that he is hurting and he will be gentler next time. Just a thought.

There is many circumstances that could cause Sid to act that way. Don't get frustrate and just try to udnerstand what he is trying to tell you

Maybe he got over the cuddliness and he just not much into being petted? My other cat when was young was very skittish and hated being petted.
Well just recently he plays rougher with Nancy. After finding this forum I read how spraying water is bad, so I won't do that anymore. And he's been milking since day 1, but we have been weaning him off of that. Most of the time he just keeps to himself. He'll cudle on our laps a few times a day. He likes being petted, on his terms of course.

Sometimes i'll just be relaxing on the couch, with my feet up on a stool, minding my own business, and he'll out of no where bite my leg. Happens atleast once a day. When Nancy and him wrestle, if Nancy cries we tell him to stop. He'll stop, and if he tries again we tell him to stop again. Then he'll retaliate, against us for telling him NO.

We have a kitty condo in our bedroom, with 2 levels, right infront of the window, which we usually leave open for ventilation. He likes looking out the open window, but now it's getting colder so we have to close it. Plus our neighbors are working on there house, so every morning is banging hammers. So the blinds are up, but the window is closed. Since we started closing the window, in the morning he's been scratching at all the other windows in the bedroom to see if they're open.

He only got out once since we moved into our new place 6 months go. And it was only for 10 minutes or so. My girlfriend thought we could put a harness on him and try to walk him. But everytime we put the harness on, he tries to get out of it. So we haven't pursued it further. I'm sure he wants to go outside, since he's a ferrel cat.

We haven't taken him to a vet, I guess I will soon. He does need his claws trimmed, cause he won't let us do it. Nancy will, but not Sid.