So, I'm having a hard time deciding...

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been looking at various book cover designs and I do still like what I've done for my own (for those who haven't read, I'm writing a sci-fi book with a cat... and Bijou, one of Yosemite's Siamese is on the cover... I'm self-publishing, so I have to do everything myself...)

So, I've been sitting on the basic cover... and a few days ago i decided to play with Photoshop (trial version, since i can't afford the d*** program) and the following options are what I came up with... and what I like of all the play options in Photoshop.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

Here's the link to all four grouped...

#1 is the original as I designed it... the other three ar the modified ones... I'm not telling which ones I like the best... but I want a vote... I wanna see which one is the most popular... remember, it's a Science Fiction novel. And yes, Mars (that orange-y planet in the pictures) and a Siamese cat play prominently...

Thank you!!!

Amanda

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok, as for me, I like the way the cat is in the first one, but I like the planet the best in the 3rd one. if you could combine those 2 it would be my choice, but of those 4 I like the first one the best

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I choose option 1. I am more drawn to it as the cat stands out more.. I like the way the planet looks in option 3 though.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

ok, as for me, I like the way the cat is in the first one, but I like the planet the best in the 3rd one. if you could combine those 2 it would be my choice, but of those 4 I like the first one the best
Exactly.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the moon from 1 (the clearest) and the kitty from 2 (which looks more sci-fi)

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the first one the best. But can I make a suggestion? I think it would look better if you deleted the stars that cover the kitties face, and just left them in the background of the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I voted for one because of the blue eyes.

How do you get the trial verson of Photoshop? I thought they didn't do that any more, or maybe it's for the Mac they don't...
I dig through their website... granted, whenever i do it, I have to make sure any old versions are cleared out and I have to use a different email address (I have many, so the only prob. there is remembering which ones I've used).

I know it's sort of cheating, but until I win the blasted lottery and can afford the $650 they want for a full version, this is my way of doing the cool stuff. I have the GIMP, but it is problematic for my Mac... have to have a secondary program (X11) installed... I do finally have it because of installing OpenOffice, but C'est la Vie. It's a headache.

I also have Fireworks, but FW doesn't have as many cool tricks... at least not the cool tricks I wanted to use...

I'm reading everyone's comments... this is why I'm torn... I may have to play with the layers (there goes several hours more...) to get certain effects. So, I love how the cat (Bijou) turned out in 2, but also like how Mars turned out in 3. Mind you, I still love my original, but in larger form (6x9 inches on the cover) it feels very flat to me... hence my playing...

I'll see what I can come up with...

What was that about me having a social life? HA!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay... so I've been playing... I was stressing out because I haven't played too much with PS... primarily becasue it's too **** expensive... if only they gave a cr** about the rest of us on this planet... and made it affordable... yeesh.

So.

As I said, I've been playing... I took the stars out from teh face... of course, there's a reason Bijou's face was half-density... so I COULD should the stars... but that's okay... I can always add them back in, if others' DO like the stars showing through...

I also tried the different tools in PS. Now, I see why it's so bl**dy expensive... I was hoping to utilize my layers... don't need to... besides, the image is flattened upon opening it in PS... (FYI: built initial image in Fireworks)

So, here's the modified one... what do ya'll think? Thanks to the wonders of PS, I was able to do this in about an hour and a half...

I'm hoping it's not too big... if so, follow the link in my first post... it's now at the bottom.

Thank you everyone so far... keep the comments and votes coming!

Amanda

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drat! I can't get them all to load completely -- I'm only seeing the upper portions of each one (I'm still living in the dark ages of dial-up). But based on what I can see, I agree with Dragoriana that masking the stars out so they don't show through the cat might make for a more arresting image.

I can't see much of the planet in any of the versions, but what I can see seems a little pale... could you go for a more intense orangey-red, maybe? Or would that overwhelm the cat's face?

Anyway, based on seeing only the upper part of each version, I vote for number one!

This is so exciting -- be sure to keep us posted on how it turns out!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like what you're doing, but I think the cat needs to stand out more. Can you "outer glow" Bijou? You can always decrease the opacity if he gets to bright. I would also work a bit more on the lettering...it needs some sort of layer style attached to it...it looks too "pasted on", especially since you've given the rest of it a more mystical look.

Good luck!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Since I'm Madam Helpful tonight, I think they all look great!
Well, that's kinda what it's ending up to be... a little of everything...

the stars haven't been touched, Bijou has one style on him, plus a few additions... Mars has another style... two styles on the lettering now... eek!!

Since I have to take 'them' to the V-E-T in the morning, ya'll are just gonna have to wait until tomorrow to see the latest playing around...

OKay, now I figure each of ya will buy a copy of the book, right?

Early 'trip' in the morning... trying to to tip 'them' off tonight... carriers will be reassembled once they're closed in the office...

Amanda