Picked Up Kuan Yin today...

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...from getting spayed. She seems to be very tender and when she walks she hunches her back so she does not stretch her tummy. Her hindquarters also tremble. She seems to paralyze her back half to sit or lay down. She falls asleep standing up..it's been over 24 hours but I guess it still is having quite an effect. She's using the litter box (very carefully), eating small amounts of food at a time but not drinking any water yet..I'm feeding her all wet to make up for it. She was shivering and seemed to appreciate me turning on the heater but also would like some fresh air so I'm running the heater in her room with her window cracked..she's sitting on the ledge with her nose pressed to it but shivers if I turn the heater off...I strategically placed some boxes (upside down) and pillows in case she falls off (it's only a foot and a half off the ground but still..it would probably hurt). I know these are probably all normal but one thing that is fairly unsettling is her "waist" and stomach area are shrunken in like she hasn't eaten in a week..i mean, it's HOLLOW..she looks like a hungry stray
. Anyway, I'll keep you updated...
Tink

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the shivering it sounds like she is still feeling the effects of the anesthesia. Poor baby!

Here are my good vibes that she will feel better soon!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many many vibes for your little baby girl to feel better soon

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have yet to see a just-spayed cat that didn't look she'd just had the guts sucked out of her. That hollow stray look isn't unusual.

If you think she's still very uncomfortable, you can ask the vet for some pain meds. Some vets are very old school and don't bother with pain meds after "routine" surgery, like a spay, but a spay really is a major surgical procedure. I'm sure, if you asked, the vet would be willing to prescribe her something to make her a little more comfortable for the next few days.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

From the shivering it sounds like she is still feeling the effects of the anesthesia.
That's my thought on it as well, because when i brought Rosie home she was asleep on me and started shivering even when the heating was up full, so i rang the emergency vet who told me to put a blanket over her, and once i did that the shivering stopped.

If she's no better today i would give them a ring.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep her warm and not around any drafts/open windows for a few days. She'll be fine by the end of the week

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just wanted you to know she is much better today..no more shivering, drinking again, just a little sore and careful with walking as is to be expected :-)