Lock me up now - I've finally lost my senses

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't believe that I'm doing this. It just started pouring rain, and I mean really pouring rain. Our neighbor's dog Vader just ran up to my front door wanting to come inside. She's an outdoor dog and we've spoiled her by letting her inside our home during bad weather. I won't go on about the lectures we've given the neighbor, guilt works much better than lectures. He gets them both when ever we see him, which is a couple times a week.

She just got skunked and stinks to high heaven. So now I'm going to give her the Skunk Off bath in my own bathtub to get rid of the smell. Neighbor is not home and I'm not about to put this poor dog back out in the rain.

*sigh* Yes, I've officially lost all of my senses

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

*sigh* Yes, I've officially lost all of my senses
For your sake, I hope that you've at least lost your sense of smell.
Wet, skunked dog - YUK!

But you definitely have a big heart for the fuzzy critters who are lucky enough to come into contact with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

But you definitely have a big heart for the fuzzy critters who are lucky enough to come into contact with you.
That's it! The heart has gotten so big that it's pushing into my brain!

She smells better now, and I don't think she got a direct hit.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, I think you're wonderful to let her in out of the rain. And as for bathing her, well, you couldn't put up with the smell!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you would have let that poor wet smelly dog shiver in the rain on your doorstep...well then I would have thought you lost your senses.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you and the pup - you for being kind and the dog for getting to be inside a house when it's rainy.
But phew, skunky dog is nasty! Your neighbors should thank you!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity, what does skunk smell like? We don't have them here

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Hope it won't stress the cats, though!
Vader comes inside the house all the time. The cats have all put her in her place and are used to her by now! I have 2 large dogs and Vader is smaller than either one of them so they are all used to putting big dogs into their place!

Originally Posted by Dragoriana

It's kind of hard to describe but once you smell one, you know exactly what they are. Imagine rotten eggs that have been sitting out in the sun for a few days. It's very strong and very noxious.

And by the way, Skunk Off works great!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like my neighbor personally, but get at wits end with him over his 2 outdoor dogs. He stops by a couple nights a week to have a beer with my DH. His dogs follow him and we let Vader in, but deny entry to Roy who is cat aggressive. The lecture is about if he would only get Roy neutered (he is a 10 year old outdoor unneutered dog), it would calm him down. We let Vader in and make her sit for biscuits. We tell him that if he ever wants to get rid of her, that we would be glad to spoil her. He just squirms and comments about giving her the garage and letting her inside his house once in a while. He's clearly embarrassed. His daughter told us once that Vader is more our dog than their dog and said it in front of her dad, who squirmed once again.

We call Vader our "rent a dog". There are times that we forget to let her back outside at night and find her sound asleep in the living room. The cats actually rub up against her and she just freezes when they approach.

It quit raining so we put her back outside. It gets harder and harder for all of us to do that to her. If she wasn't already spayed, we'd just take her in and do it for her.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

It quit raining so we put her back outside. It gets harder and harder for all of us to do that to her. If she wasn't already spayed, we'd just take her in and do it for her.
I think that you have fallen in love with Vader.

Thank you for helping her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes, it's a lecture on deaf ears.

At least Vadar has someone who cleans her up & lets her snuggle inside once in awhile.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

You don't have skunks there??? Can I move there??

Actually, I don't mind the skunk smell, if it is far away. Someone said rotten eggs...add to that gasoline smell. And, if up close...chopped fresh rotten onions to make your eyes water. It's not pretty.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here she is on one of her overnight "visits":

Her face is really cute - I need to get a picture of her from the front one day.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
There is no way you could have left her outside with those eyes.