TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Kitten from breeder & Kitten from rescue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitten from breeder & Kitten from rescue

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
So I am getting a lovely Siamese kitten from a breeder in Florida. She's an excellent person, I researched heavily before contacting her and have been speaking with her for over 5 months now. I know I'm getting my baby from a responsible & loving breeder so that much is confirmed.

I really -really- want to rescue a second kitten (I even found one I adore) so they'll have each other during the day but the breeder said it may not be wise to do that since kitten's immune systems are so sensitive when this young. Her vaccination program is unusual (the Cattery Vaccination Protocol) so I don't know if bringing in a second kitten would be dangerous. I certainly don't want to endanger my babies!

Any vets or vet techs have any advice? I know I want to rescue more kitties but I want to be sure it's healthy for all of them.
post #2 of 14
What is so odd about her vaccine protocol? I mean what is it that she is doing differently? Kittens need 2-3 rounds of vaccines 3-4 weeks apart starting around 8 weeks or so. All kittens have more fragile immune systems, but if both kittens are healthy, tested and vaccinated, there shouldn't be any problem.
post #3 of 14
It depends on the vaccination situation, unfortunately diseases do spread quickly in shelters and sometimes a kitten will go to a new home harbouring a URI - it's just one of those things.

I always strongly advocate a quarantine period before introducing a new animal of any species to your household, if a new arrival has picked up an infection then the stress of moving to a new home often brings it out. I know many people here don't do it but quite frankly it shocks me that some people don't bother at all. I am used to a quarantine protocol for birds of recommended 3 months but at the very least 1 month, with changes of clothing and preferably a shower between handling each animal!!! So to me a quarantine period of a couple of weeks with a vet visit towards the beginning of that and then watch for any symptoms for the rest of the period would not seem at all excessive.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epona View Post
So to me a quarantine period of a couple of weeks with a vet visit towards the beginning of that and then watch for any symptoms for the rest of the period would not seem at all excessive.
Thank you SO much, glad to hear that quarantine is a viable option. I think I can separate them easily while the new one acclimates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
What is so odd about her vaccine protocol? I mean what is it that she is doing differently? Kittens need 2-3 rounds of vaccines 3-4 weeks apart starting around 8 weeks or so. All kittens have more fragile immune systems, but if both kittens are healthy, tested and vaccinated, there shouldn't be any problem.
Well, I'm not sure exactly. She said she gives them this: IntraNasal (Feline UltraNasal FVRC); MLV (Felocell3). I just am not entirely sure what makes this different from normal vaccinations. They also get vaccinated in the 9th & 12th weeks.... Glad to get your opinion on it!

Thanks for the info both of you! Glad to know I'm fretting too much (I'd rather it be too much than not enough)
post #5 of 14
How old is the breeder kitten? I'd just make sure all series of shots are given, the breeder kitten is comfortable with things and in a few months (by end of year) start looking for a rescue kitten to join the household. Look for about the same age when you adopt.

And be sure both kittens are neutered and spayed by 4 months old so you have no problems with accidental litter.

Post pics when you can
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
How old is the breeder kitten? I'd just make sure all series of shots are given, the breeder kitten is comfortable with things and in a few months (by end of year) start looking for a rescue kitten to join the household. Look for about the same age when you adopt.

And be sure both kittens are neutered and spayed by 4 months old so you have no problems with accidental litter.

Post pics when you can
Thank you Golden! The kitten is going to be 12 weeks when I get him (he is developing great so the breeder feels comfortable sending him home with me at that time). He got his nasal vacc in his 6th week I think and gets the rest in the 9th and 12th weeks. He's going to be neutered & microchipped before he arrives, too! <3

Thanks for the advice, I always tend to want to rush through things so it's nice to hear some encouragement to be patient!

And as for pics she posts new pics of the kittens every week. Here is the latest!

post #7 of 14
oh he is ADORABLE!
post #8 of 14
OHHHHHH very nice looking Blue Point. What's his name? And you shouldn't have much problem with bringing in a 2nd kitten since he's a male - they tend to accept new additions quicker.

He's innocent looking now, but watch out...I can see that mischievious smirk on his face


And because he's Siamese, I'd look for a kitten with similar energy level. You don't want a laid back persian type cause the Siamese will get bored with no one to keep up with him
post #9 of 14
Oh what a sweetie you have! I just love his little face. Welcome to TCS and keep the photos coming!
post #10 of 14
Hi!

Just wanted to say that your siamese boy is adorable!! I bet you are so excited and can't wait for him to come home.

You said you have a kitten in mind from a rescue also. What is that kitten like? Are you still thinking about adopting it?
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hehee, thank you guys! It was love at first sight I tell you, the second I saw his kitten photo I was smitten. He's not named yet actually, my husband and I were waiting for him to come home with us for that. We have narrowed it down to a few choices though!

The vet said a similar thing about boy kitties, that ladies tend to rule the roost and resent new comers a tad more...I'm happy I got a boy though, all my favorite kitties have been little men, lol!

The breeder said his temperament is fantastic, very sweet and cuddly & laidback. I'd like to find another kitten rather like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
Hi!

Just wanted to say that your siamese boy is adorable!! I bet you are so excited and can't wait for him to come home.

You said you have a kitten in mind from a rescue also. What is that kitten like? Are you still thinking about adopting it?
TOTALLY excited, I literally dream of kittens every night. And as for the other kitten I fell in love with, he's SO cute. He's all black with very high set ears and the longest whip-tail I have ever seen. I went to visit at our local cage free shelter where I volunteer and when I sat down with another kitten in my arms he LEAPT into my lap and cuddled up. He spent a good 20 minutes making nice and cuddling before I had to leave. What a flirt!

I don't know that I would be allowed to adopt him and have him fostered for a few months....I'll call and find out though!
post #12 of 14
Ah he is adorable lucky you and well done for rescuing as well
You must be so excited. More piccies please
post #13 of 14
There should be no problem adding a rescue kitten as long you do proper isolation and testing and vaccinations for both cats.
post #14 of 14
The rescue kitten you have in mind (black) sounds like a good match. Should be similar temperment as I'm willing to bet its got Siamese/Oriental in him from your description
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Kitten from breeder & Kitten from rescue