Help!! Is separating enough until tests are back?

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband found and fell in love with a stray. He wants to bring it home. We have a vet appointment for the kitty this afternoon. The vets office said that because the appointment is late, they might not get the test results (Feline AIDS, Luekemia, worms) until tomorrow.

Is it safe to bring the kitten home and just keep it in another room, away from my 2 resident cats? Can they sniff each other under a door?

Thanks for any info!!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we decided to bring Elliott in ,the first appointment we could get was on a Wednesday and we brought him in the house on Sunday night.
He was 18 months old at the time and had been stray all of his life.
I called my Vet and asked him if it would be safe for our other three cats if we kept Elliott in a seperate room.

He told me that it was perfectly safe.
As far as sniffing under the door, there wasn't any of that.
The three resident cats spent most of the time hissing at the door

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they can sniff under the door. Block under the door with a towel or something.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the previous posts. It is safe to keep him separated. I picked up a little orphaned kitten 4 weeks ago and he wasn't even old enough to be tested until last weekend.

From what I understand FIV is typically spread through biting - and severe biting. FeLV is typically spread when the saliva or urine of an infected cat comes in contact with another cat - i.e. grooming each other, or sharing food and water bowls or litter boxes over an extended period of time.

I'd be more worried about fleas...
Congrats on your new baby. Hope to see pictures soon.

And about the results, it usually just takes 10 minutes for results. Why can't they just give them to you tonight? It'd drive me crazy to wait.

hana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Con-early-grats to you. Happy to hear that you are expecting a new family member. I hope he/she will be in good health and get along wiht teh other cats. Yes, keep him secluded from other cats. Just make sure to give teh other kitties enough love and attention too! :eek:)

We adopted a stray cat with FIV+, who had befriended one of our cats (who was such an angel, he was). They went outside certain times of day, and became such good friends. We had no idea he had FIV+. But we had put up posters of FOUND all over town, and finally someone who said it was her's, never showed up, and never replied our calls after that. Anyway, we risked taking him in with 3 of our other cats. We tested regularly for FIV in the other cats, and he lived many years with us and never transferred them (thank goodness).

Good luck!
Hana

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hana

Con-early-grats to you. Happy to hear that you are expecting a new family member. I hope he/she will be in good health and get along wiht teh other cats. Yes, keep him secluded from other cats. Just make sure to give teh other kitties enough love and attention too! :eek:)

We adopted a stray cat with FIV+, who had befriended one of our cats (who was such an angel, he was). They went outside certain times of day, and became such good friends. We had no idea he had FIV+. But we had put up posters of FOUND all over town, and finally someone who said it was her's, never showed up, and never replied our calls after that. Anyway, we risked taking him in with 3 of our other cats. We tested regularly for FIV in the other cats, and he lived many years with us and never transferred them (thank goodness).
Good luck!
Hana
That is such a great story! So many people freak out about FIV when it is FeLV that is the one to worry about. FIV is very hard to transmit between cats, FeLV spreads a little easier thru grooming and sharing bowls and litterboxes. I know a lot of people with FIV positive and negative cats. Many live long lives as well.

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Kitto tested + for FIV, I researched it, and learned exactly what Jen says. He lives with all of our FIV neg. cats now. I haven't had him retested yet, but no one is biting each other. I am not worried about it at all.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might stuff a towel under the door, mainly because of the risk of upper respiratory diseases (feline herpes, calicivirus) being transmitted through the air.