Heat Remedy?

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, Soleil is in heat for the first time (she is now 9 months). It started midly, but after a peeing incident (see my last thread) I brought her to the vet thinking it may be UTI. The vet confirmed her heat and probabiity of the peeing resulting by the heat.

He tried to 'satisfy' her with a q-tip and gave her some hormone shot to milden the heat in order for her to get her sterilized. He said in about 3 weeks time she should be ok to sterilize withouth complications.

This was yesterday...

Today she is in the worst heat ever. Surprisingly as I thought it should get better after the q-tip and hormones... Even Singa wasn't so horny when she was in heat.

Is there anyway I can relieve it a bit? Feliway? Catnip? Q-tip?????

I'm seriously worried about more peeing and lack of sleep within the next 3 weeks.

Any ideas???
Appreciate any help!
Thanks

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please find a vet that will spay her. That is the most healthy and humane thing for her and will forever cure heats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Please find a vet that will spay her. That is the most healthy and humane thing for her and will forever cure heats.
Errrr... as I wrote.. she has an appointment in 3 weeks.

I just would like to know if there is anything I can do until then.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is her first heat there is a chance it will only last a few days and not recur until her appointment. Sometimes to put them in a dark room and keep them quiet will help.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I missed the three weeks statement!

I really don't think there is anything you can do except let her go through it.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by x-ta-Z

Ok, Soleil is in heat for the first time (she is now 9 months). It started midly, but after a peeing incident (see my last thread) I brought her to the vet thinking it may be UTI. The vet confirmed her heat and probabiity of the peeing resulting by the heat.

He tried to 'satisfy' her with a q-tip
Are you serious?? Is that a common practice with vets?
You would think the fibers of the Q-tip may lodge and cause infection.....If my vet did that, I'd call him a pervert...I could see doing it to swab for an infection or something, but to satisfy her?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Q-tips are sterile - I think she may just have meant 'relieve' rather than satisfy. I do know what you mean by fibers lodging, and I hate to be gross here, but we use tampons etc. etc. and don't always do a clinical douche every day.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Relieve...satisfy...I still think it's perverted to do that to a cat in heat,IMO. I probably shouldn't have even posted that reply...but I am curious as to whether it's a common practice for vets to do this? And I also know that tampons are a little tighter woven than Q-tips...and humans are different than cats. Maybe I'm just abnormal, LOL

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard of a friend's friend who never sterilized her cat but 'relieves/satisfies' her cat with a Q-tip. I thought it was jsut completely gross and weird..perverted whatever. When the vet did it I still thought the same, but I'm sure he knows what he is doing...
he put some lubricant on the Q-tip first.
I wouldn't want to do it myself though as I do not htink that I would be able to do it right.

But back to the question... will Feliway or Catnip or anything else help her calm down from the heat... she is seriously majorly in heat - an freaking LOUD!!!

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG I have a migrane and she is soooo loud...
help desperately needed!!!!
Thanks!!!