TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he too young to leave alone for 10 days? Here are the facts:

--He's 5 months old, will be almost 6 months at the time of the trip
--I will have a pet sitter stop by twice a day, morning and evening
--I have 3 other cats so he's not completely isolated
--He's never been alone before for more than a few hours

I've never taken a trip when I had a kitten that was so young before. My gut instinct is telling me I'm being overly anxious, but I feel really worried and guilty. He's so attached to me at this age. He sleeps with me and is never away from me. I don't want to traumatize him.

I'm really looking forward to this trip to Italy, but it can be postponed until the Spring.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 6 months old he's not too young to be left alone. If you were talking 2-4 month old that would be different. You have a cat sitter coming in, and everything should be fine.

Go and enjoy your trip to Italy

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

At 6 months old he's not too young to be left alone. If you were talking 2-4 month old that would be different. You have a cat sitter coming in, and everything should be fine.

Go and enjoy your trip to Italy
You said it! He should be just fine!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly how you feel. I'm going away for about the same amount of time in November, and I currently have one that will be almost a year at that point, and one that will be about 8 months... and on top of that, three of them are really bonded to me. Fortunately, though, the scheduling works out so taht my friend will be staying with my cats the majority of the time. He'll feed them their difficult diet, they like him, and he'll spend time cuddling them too. Even the recluses like him so I feel better about leaving them. And they'll have someone to cuddle with at night too.

They'll technically be fine with a babysitter, I think. Although, honestly, if you have a friend that can come by and snuggle them as well as play with them too, that would be good.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think since he has other cats to play with, they'll also keep him occupied and provide him with companionship. With that and the sitter, it should be fine. Of course, if the kitten is rambunctious, you can expect to see some stuff knocked around in the house.

enik

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nancyt

Is he too young to leave alone for 10 days? Here are the facts:

--He's 5 months old, will be almost 6 months at the time of the trip
--I will have a pet sitter stop by twice a day, morning and evening
--I have 3 other cats so he's not completely isolated
--He's never been alone before for more than a few hours

I've never taken a trip when I had a kitten that was so young before. My gut instinct is telling me I'm being overly anxious, but I feel really worried and guilty. He's so attached to me at this age. He sleeps with me and is never away from me. I don't want to traumatize him.

I'm really looking forward to this trip to Italy, but it can be postponed until the Spring.
My situation is almost the same as yours, except that I do not have other cats for my Snowball to play with or at least keep him company. Also, he will be almost 8 months in Nov.
I left him for two days two weeks ago, and the sitter said that he cried and meowed loudly every time she would leave him. I'm here most of the time, but he always has to know where I am.
You are fortunate to have other cats so that your kitten won't have to be all alone. I would think that would reassure him that you'll be coming back.
Do most of the 'mommies' of kittens have other cats? I wish my Boston could take care of him
I also feel guilty, but I will be visiting my daughter and family in Seattle for Thanksgiving, and there is no way I could cancel that trip.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 cats and a dog. So when Charlie goes to shows, then Ling and Keno have each other for company. Ling likes the dog better anyway

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enik

My situation is almost the same as yours, except that I do not have other cats for my Snowball to play with or at least keep him company. Also, he will be almost 8 months in Nov.
I left him for two days two weeks ago, and the sitter said that he cried and meowed loudly every time she would leave him. I'm here most of the time, but he always has to know where I am.
You are fortunate to have other cats so that your kitten won't have to be all alone. I would think that would reassure him that you'll be coming back.
Do most of the 'mommies' of kittens have other cats? I wish my Boston could take care of him
I also feel guilty, but I will be visiting my daughter and family in Seattle for Thanksgiving, and there is no way I could cancel that trip.
Heh, that's where I'm going to over Thanksgiving!

enik

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Heh, that's where I'm going to over Thanksgiving!
Don't you just love Seattle?? Are you visiting children or parents, or friends, or just visiting? How long will you stay?
And, do you have someone to watch your cats and/or kittens?? If I could leave my dog home, I would, and then I would feel much better. However, my son is keeping my dog, and both of them work and also have a dog; so it wouldn't work out. I think I'd be more worried if my kitten stayed with them!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leave some dirty sweaty clothes behind in a sealed plastic bag with instructions to the cat sitter to take out a few items during your leave.

Kittyproof your home before you leave. Make sure all doors that need to be closed are closed. Prop open any other doors that can stay open.

Give the kitties several cardboard boxes to play and hide in.

Be sure and have your food, and litter and food bowls in an acessible place

Leave your vet's phone number, a photo of your cats (in case they get out) and an emergency phone number on your fridge.

Take off any collars the cats are wearing and get them microchipped before you leave.

enik

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Leave some dirty sweaty clothes behind in a sealed plastic bag with instructions to the cat sitter to take out a few items during your leave.

Kittyproof your home before you leave. Make sure all doors that need to be closed are closed. Prop open any other doors that can stay open.

Give the kitties several cardboard boxes to play and hide in.

Be sure and have your food, and litter and food bowls in an acessible place

Leave your vet's phone number, a photo of your cats (in case they get out) and an emergency phone number on your fridge.

Take off any collars the cats are wearing and get them microchipped before you leave.
Thanks for those ideas! I only have one cat, but he's six months old, and I've only had him since the end of July. He is very affectionate and "needy"; and never having had a kitten before, I worry that his personality will change or that he will get separation-anxiety, etc. because I've never left him alone for this long. As I said before, he meowed and cried each time the sitter would leave when I was away for 2 days.
I'll certainly leave the plastic bag with clothes that you suggested.
I left him in the kitchen the last time. My kitchen is large, and he also has a small 'mudroom' which is where his litter box and food are kept. I know he considers the kitchen to be "his" room.
I sure do wish I could take him with me on the plane! I'm afraid of having him travel in the baggage compartment; also, it's an eight-hour trip to Seattle.
I wouldn't worry half as much if he had other cats or my dog for company - even though my dog refuses to play with him, he loves her.

enik

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

ME TOO (oh wait, I live there - sort of)
You are very fortunate! My daughter loves it in Seattle. I know 'they' say it rains all the time, but whenever I've been there, if it rained it was in the morning; then it would clear up and be a beautiful day. I guess that's why everything stays so green all year.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enik

Don't you just love Seattle?? Are you visiting children or parents, or friends, or just visiting? How long will you stay?
And, do you have someone to watch your cats and/or kittens?? If I could leave my dog home, I would, and then I would feel much better. However, my son is keeping my dog, and both of them work and also have a dog; so it wouldn't work out. I think I'd be more worried if my kitten stayed with them!
I have a friend that is going to stay with them the majority of the week, and they know him and he knows how goofy I am about my babies so, he'll take good care of them. So for at least half a week, I'll have someone here, and the other couple of days, my neighbors who love kitties will be stopping in to play and feed them. (I feel bad.. they're all on raw and it's a serious chore, lol).

Originally Posted by pennicat

ME TOO (oh wait, I live there - sort of)
This will be my first trip to Seattle. We're staying at a cabin on Puget's Sound. We should all try to get together and hang out for a lunch or something one day, or a dinner and some drinks. I'll be there the Saturday evening (when I arrive) through the Sunday morning after T-day..when I leave, so.. maybe we could all fit something in there.

If anyone starts a thread about it, please pm me with a link. For sure I'll miss it otherwise.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try not to feel bad. I always feel horrible when I'm going on a trip too, and my cats are 3 years old! It sounds like you have all of the bases covered with the pet sitter (make sure it is someone you know and trust) and the other kitty companions and stuff.