Good news...

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, on Thurs. I went to the local (no-kill) shelter, finally made a decision (so hard I almost left cat-less!) and now am the proud slave of whats-his-name (he hasn't told me what it is yet). He's all black except for an odd smudge of white on his tummy and a couple of whiskers, and almost 6 mos old, though looks small for his age, but has a slightly oriental feel, especially to his somewhat long, narrowish face. For what was left of Thurs. and for a lot of Fri. pm, my 15 yr old M. Coon princess and 2 yr old blue-eyed white male kept their distance, then hissed the new one away for most of Friday (after hunger took over and they decided to emerge) along with the odd head swat. Sat. was still hissing time, but rather token-ish and the hiding certainly stopped, and yesterday they said 'the heck with it', began interacting, if carefully, until... last night when all 3 slept on my bed! This (accelerated from the usual >10 days) has been my intro routine in the long and cat-full past - e.g. I have none except for tiny kittens - and has generally always worked out with just a little more or less acting out, so I again suggest to some of you that sweating long, complicated and confining intros may not necessarily have to 'be', certainly not unless there turns out to be serious and dedicated aggression (way beyond what happened here), and in those cases, you might even want to consider just whether or not it's a good idea at all to try and integrate them, though it's always worth a definite trial.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sooooo where are the pictures

Great that things are going well. I'd name him Magik cause it was magic that everyone adjusted in a short time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omigosh! Magic was one of the top 3 contenders for Goblin's name when we got him 2 Halloween's ago, though I can't remember now why we didn't use it. I think it's probably perfect for this one, so thank you! No pix yet cuz I'm very backward... no cell and no digicam, though I'm missing them more and more, so may just give in and get one (of something)... He's pretty precious (and a ravenous piggy - they free feed kibble at the shelter and he's having to learn some manners here:-).

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the new kitty! I hope your naming process is less painful than mine. It took me weeks and I kept changing the name. I finally settled on Seti after the pharaoh as my kitty also looks a bit oriental. He's black too btw. I also am lame when it comes to pics here but there's a photo of him on my blog under the second post that currently up (at the bottom).

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

t so I again suggest to some of you that sweating long, complicated and confining intros may not necessarily have to 'be', certainly not unless there turns out to be serious and dedicated aggression (way beyond what happened here), and in those cases, you might even want to consider just whether or not it's a good idea at all to try and integrate them, though it's always worth a definite trial.
I agree. But I found it was easier (or quicker) acceptance between young newbies and old resident cats than introductions between those of similar age. Congratulations by the way!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
congrats on your new baby! I also do the figure it out amongst yourselves intros and have been very lucky so far, except for the Hades vs. Poseidon episode
Glad it worked out so well for you!

joe poppers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

Congrats on the new kitty! I hope your naming process is less painful than mine. It took me weeks and I kept changing the name. I finally settled on Seti after the pharaoh as my kitty also looks a bit oriental. He's black too btw. I also am lame when it comes to pics here but there's a photo of him on my blog under the second post that currently up (at the bottom).
Your Seti is sooooooooo adorable

I want one

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats, I am never been to good at bringing other cats into the mix.

jennywren93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our little black one with spots of white on his tummy, etc (not very many, he is decidedly a black cat with black stripes!) dh got to name- since he was so against having the cats in the first place! What did he decide on? Merlin! Hope that helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you JW, I'm still hemming and hawing. Nothing seems right, but it'll happen. The trouble is that male cats are cute when kids, but you don't want the adult to be called by a baby name!

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm still getting tons of hissing but it is along with lots of playing,too. Sadly, no one will sleep on the bed because of the new kitten, he sleeps glued to me. but I'm hoping as winter comes they will choose warmth over attitude! I'm just glad there isn't any real fighting going on.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bed reminds me of when I got my rex kitten. Taz was the resident rex (kept from my queen) and more/less boss as her mom was sold to another breeder.

We got Spooky at 4 months old. He loved everyone and wanted soooo bad to be Taz's friend. She would hiss at him, swat him and he still kept trying. One night I was reading in bed and Taz was on one side of me. Spooky snuck up on the other side and Taz looked at him - no hissing; so Spooky put his little face on my hip and stared at Taz and started purring his little head off.............well I guess no one can resist a kitten's purr. Everything was fine after that.