Picking up very large cats

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you pick up large cats differently than "normal" sized cats? I notice that when I pick up my large Ragdoll, it doesn't seem to be comfortable to him. I think I'm doing it wrong. I usually pick them up under the "arms" like a child, but it doesn't seem to work with Smudge...???

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver's 15 pounds, so there's no 1 hand pick ups with him haha... I pick him up in various ways, but no matter how I grab him, I try to support the bum as quickly as possible - they seem to feel unstable if their bum/back end is left dangling... I'll pick Oliver up under the arms like a child, but then immediately move to kind of holding him sitting against my shoulder/chest or swooping him belly up like a baby... then I try to support the bum while I'm putting him down too... once I get that hand/arm under the back end, he stops bein a wiggle worm

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you pick them up and immediately support the back end/legs in your arms you should be fine.

Just make sure you have your hands around the shoulders/chest when picking up - then tuck the butt/legs in your arms.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the butt support. Wickett is something like 17 lbs but I pick he & Frankie up the same way. I use one hand to grab the around the chest under their front arms then I use my other hand to grab their back feet and support their backside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Smudge isn't that huge yet, but he's only a year old. So we're hoping for more growth!

Here he is with my 15 year old...

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Oliver's 15 pounds, so there's no 1 hand pick ups with him haha... I pick him up in various ways, but no matter how I grab him, I try to support the bum as quickly as possible - they seem to feel unstable if their bum/back end is left dangling... I'll pick Oliver up under the arms like a child, but then immediately move to kind of holding him sitting against my shoulder/chest or swooping him belly up like a baby... then I try to support the bum while I'm putting him down too... once I get that hand/arm under the back end, he stops bein a wiggle worm
That's exactly how I pick up my Mutty who is a 12 pound fatty.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sabina's happiest being held "baby style", with me scratching her belly!
When she's really happy, she does the full "flop"...it's so cute!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

How big is Sabina these days?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I agree with the butt support. Wickett is something like 17 lbs but I pick he & Frankie up the same way. I use one hand to grab the around the chest under their front arms then I use my other hand to grab their back feet and support their backside.
I pick up all cats that way. When we were kids, my parents always insisted that was the "only" way to pick up cats and small dogs, so I guess it became an ingrained habit.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I use one hand to grab the around the chest under their front arms then I use my other hand to grab their back feet and support their backside.

Big Stimps is 17 lbs and loves to be held because we pick him up this way. Mom taught us that's the way to pick up cats.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

OMG that does sound so cute

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hold both of my cats baby style. It seems that is the most comfortable position and sometimes they will fall asleep while being cradled in my arms.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

As long as you pick them up and immediately support the back end/legs in your arms you should be fine.

Just make sure you have your hands around the shoulders/chest when picking up - then tuck the butt/legs in your arms.
That is how I do it also.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sneakers (female!) was 17 lbs when I rescued her... We slowly got her down to 12-13 pounds which is what the vet said her ideal weight is, she is a big cat even with the extra weight gone. I pick her up usually by one hand under the front legs (around the chest) and one hand under the back end cradling the back legs. If you only pick them up under the arms, I think it's pretty uncomfortable if the cat is large.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Well, Smudge isn't that huge yet, but he's only a year old. So we're hoping for more growth!

Here he is with my 15 year old...
In my Vet Tech college books, that is very similar to how you would hold and transport a cat on with it laying on one arm with the other gripping its scruff for restraint. But definitely with your forearm under its breastbone like you have there. I personally pick up our cats with one arm under their forelegs and the other under their back legs so they're in an upright position. Gives them a view!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we call that the colicky baby hold. Smudge doesn't like to be smushed up against people so much, so he likes being held like that.

I've been trying picking him up using back and front, and he seems to tolerate it much better!