Munchkin kitten

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a munchkin kitten. I live in eastern canada, so anything relatively close to there would be great.
I'm not planning to get one right now, but once Zorro passes away (Which will probably be in the next year or so) I would like to get a munchkin since they remind me of Zorro.
Also, does anyone know any health problems that tend to come with munchkins?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure of the health problems - you might start looking at breeders websites and see. Personally I don't agree with breeding Munchkin cats. Cats should have long legs for running, jumping, and climbing.

And the breed has not been around that long to really see if there are any future leg or back problems associated with the deformity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard that they can jump almost as well as regular cats. My cat has abnormally short legs, and even though he can't jump(back problems) he used to be able to rip and tear around the house like a crazy lunatic.
Now, if in the future they show a predisposition for back disease, then I will agree that they shouldn't be bred. I don't agree with breeding persians, bulldogs, or anything else with an extremely pushed in face since it inhibits breathing because they are known to have stenotic nares.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you google "munchkin breeders Canada" you may find a breeder near you, or some catteries will ship kittens.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to actually see the jumping to believe it cause it would be like a doxie vs a lab. No way can a doxie jump like a lab can, so I don't see how a very short legged cat can jump like an Ocicat or Rex!

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
True I guess. But I'm sure they can find plenty of other ways to amuse themselves.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friends mother has two munchkins. They were from a BYB and both of these beautiful kittens have heart problems. The male is on medication for the rest of his life. His heart isn't strong enough to pump blood through is body.

The female has the same problem but not as bad and doesn't need medication at this time.

The vet said this is a common problem with the munchkin breed. I don't know how true that is or not though. It could be a problem with genetics of the parents of these kittens.

There is a member who has a beautiful white munchkin. I think the cat is named Marshmallow.

The cats have an average size cat body with little bitty legs. I would assume they would have the same challenges as Basset hounds and others. Back problems comes to mind.

unicacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two munchkin kittens, almost 4 months now and they jump fine, and run fine. My kittens didnt have any problems at all. They are healthy, and being kittens. Super playful, and they have a appetite like no other. My boyfriend found a breeder in NY, and i live in maryland, if you dont mind the drive, she lives in catskill, NY, and her website is http://stonewillowcattery.homestead.com/ . She was outstanding to work with.
but otherwise, try google.

best of luck with your search!

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the website. I'll check it out. Like I said, I'm not in the market right now, but once Zorro's back gets bad enough that he needs to be put down, or if they can't find out what's wrong with him, then I'll start looking. I just want to see if there are any common health problems.
I can understand the back problems. Zorro is very munchkin like, and he has back disease.
I've never heard of the heart disease. Is it cardiomyopathy, or a heart murmer??

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

I've never heard of the heart disease. Is it cardiomyopathy, or a heart murmer??
I don't know what the problem is with the heart. I do know he takes two pills a day. One is an aspirin and I don't know what the other is for. She has said that he tires very easily which causes him to breath heavily and pants. So they try to keep the activity down to a minimum.

What I do know is, the breeder would never return her phone calls and the phone number was eventually changed. IMO this breeder wasn't a reputable breeder.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On MA craigslist about a week or so ago, someone was giving up 2 Siamese Munchkin kittens. They looked to be purebred Siamese except for the very short legs. Supposedly these kittens were bred this way and advertised as purebred Siamese Munchkins. Anyone ever hear of this or is this the case of another designer breed?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, Munchkins are bred in every color including pointed. The person just used the term "Siamese" instead of whatever the point color was. They should have said "Seal/Blue,etc Pointed Munchkins" - not Siamese Munchkins.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

As far as I know, Munchkins are bred in every color including pointed. The person just used the term "Siamese" instead of whatever the point color was. They should have said "Seal/Blue,etc Pointed Munchkins" - not Siamese Munchkins.
Perhaps they thought they could get more money. I don't know, but they certainly looked Siamese, right down to the blue eyes.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they were actual siamese munchkins they would have the very thin and elegant body type with huge ears and the characteristic long face. That's what identifies a siamese more than the colour.

Any cat can be pointed and will then have blue eyes

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for explaining color, points and eyes.
I'm also glad that this wasn't the case of throwing 2 breeds together.

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the breed standard for Munckin (TICA) specifies that they are not to have any other features that are common in other breeds, such as short noses, wedge heads, and so on. They are supposed to look like short-legged moggies, and from what I've read, it's encouraged that breeders mix them with healthy moggies for that reason.

There's no evidence of back problems due to the difference in cat spines from, say, dog spines. Cat spines are naturally more flexible (as anyone here can attest!) so arthritis or bones fusing together doesn't seem to be a problem for the breed. Rarely, some do have a "conical chest," which is actually the same condition as present in people, but if it's going to be a problem for the kitten they usually pass away before they'd even be old enough to be away from their mom. They have fewer health problems than Scottish Folds.

Some aren't as good at jumping, but remember that jumping really comes from the leg muscles, not the leg length. So while they may not be able to climb the door jamb, they can definitely be sproingy cats. I would definitely advise that you go with a responsible breeder, though, to ensure that they're outcrossing their munchkins enough to make sure they're healthy. There are some people who are mixing them with rex cats and other breeds in order to make them very, very small, which I disagree with, so choose your breeder carefully if you do go with a munchkin.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I will definatly be getting one from a reputable breeder. I don't like the ones that are crossed with different breeds. I want a black and white one.